Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

NOOB question on coolant

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  NZ_R1 
#1 ·
So as I stated I just bought my old bike back. It's a 2013 Matte Gray R1. It's running a little hot in the city and the coolant is low. I don't really have time right now to do the whole flushing ordeal and redoing coolant. Is there any way for me to just top it off with engine ice or some other coolant for the momentary being?

#2 ·
When you say coolant is low do you just mean in the reservoir or in the actual cooling system itself, ie, radiator not full? If reservoir is between the min/max lines not really an issue. If below the min line or none in reservoir at all then a problem.

Either way you can just top it up but you need to use the same type of coolant as what's in it, reason being different types are not compatible and may fvck things up via chemical reaction. Distilled water is compatible with almost all coolants. If the level is low in the radiator look closely to see why, no point just topping up if there's a leak in the system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.