Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

chicken strips

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  revvin 
#1 ·
what are chicken strips...new to all this.....thanks

#2 ·
They are the unworn areas of your tires on the outside edges of the tread... unworn because the rider doesn't get the bike over far enough.

One track day and you won't have chicken strips -- just the Colonel's special fried rubber balls, all over the tread. :rock

#5 ·
SpdDemon said:
Talk to YZF-R1 MANIAC.....he has chicken strips to both of his tyres:D :lol
:D Thats cause I buy 2nd hand tyres from you SpdDemon. :fact :fact :fact They are good only worn straight down the center.I get em off you for a bargain.:boobies

#7 ·
Chicken strips

They shuldn't call them chicken strips they are skill strips I am from the garden state I currently live in southern spain about half hour from the track in jerez be careful in nj the drivers are crazy take your time and stay alive it will come.

#8 ·
I have a question....I have no strips on the back at all, but on the fron there is like 1/2 inch strip on both sides of the front.....I'm sure when I get the Sportecs (I have not faith in the 208's) and go to VIR in Aug., I'll know why but until then can somebody give me a clue??? Not going in hard enough? Is there really that much lean left? Thanks all!
Dave

#9 ·
Chiken Strips

Want to talk to "Rota" guy !!! Hey man you know that every year, for the last 12 years we stay in Rota for the Spanish GP at Jerez ?! We're from Portugal and the ride is simply fabulous, through the Aracena ...... there are no Ckiken Strips there !!!

#10 ·
pnther15 said:
...I have no strips on the back at all, but on the fron there is like 1/2 inch strip on both sides of the front.....Is there really that much lean left? Thanks all!
Dave
Yes, there is quite a bit of lean left. But don't worry about pushing it. Like you said, wait 'til you get the Sportecs & go to VIR. If there are still strips after that, so what. It's better to have the strips than to try to lean too far & low side 'cause the front end washes out. :thumbup

#13 ·
easiest cheat way

whe going around a normal 90 deg corner like turning on to a side street just honk on the gas your back tire wile slide out a bit great feeling and once it grips your front tire will pick up a bit depending on how long you stay on the throttle. this is easier than trying to do knee touching corners. It is acutuall really easy.

#14 ·
More countersteer .............

More countersteer = more lean angle. If you countersteer hard you'll lose the front strips. To tell the truth I'm a scary bastard on the street, but when I'm out at the "Testing area" I have no problems. I've go t about a quarter inch on the fronts and I was thinkin I was Buckmaster when I got rid of the rears completely. But when I looked back at the video and the pictures I did'nt have my ass half off the seat like you're supposed to and I was reachin with my knee when I really did'nt need to. Sorta like hangin off to make a right at a light. I got better with more sessions but lately I have'nt been able to ride like I want because of "screwin up my surgery phobia."

#16 ·
I had surgery back in may.........

I broke my left big toe in an accident two years ago. They don't heal alone I found out the hard way. Anyhoo, they cut about half an inch out of the middle of my toe and bolted it back together with eight tiny screws and two pins in the ball of my foot. I still can't run and have little balance when standing. But I still ride. Actually if you can keep a secret, I found out that I pulled out half the sutures in the top of my foot . I thought it was a stray strip of gause string. Oops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.