Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

STM clutch

4K views 62 replies 11 participants last post by  LION R1 
#1 ·
:dunno Hey guys I have a problem with my 2004 R1 that appeared the last 3 days and I am lost. I have recently installed on my baby a slipper clutch by STM, and since then the gears became stiffer. The problem though is that when I rev the bike and I up-shift quickly sometimes the gears seem to jam and the clutch lever is half empty when I pull it back to change gears again. Thus I have to stop the bike and try to find neutral to have the gears back in place! Any help pls is more than welcome...

#3 ·
Are you sure it's installed correctly? For example, if you remove the clutch basket, you need to be sure you align it with the oil pump drive gear when you put it back on. Also, be sure to use the thrust washer after that- there's no mention of this in the instructions. Lastly, there are 3 pins that align the drum stopper hub and the hub. These aren't in the instructions or even on the parts diagram! Worse, my pins were in the bottom of the box, underneath the cardboard.

#8 ·
Vahakn,

I had PM'd you back requesting a set of instructions to install my STM on my 99. I never heard back from you. It doesn't look too bad, but I want to find where all of the little balls go. Im not around a Fax very often, and if you had the chance, I would gladly pay for the directions if you could email me them.. I also remember you saying you are a dealer for these, I would like to see about purchasing one of the STM diagpram springs on your recomendation. I currently have a Barnett 6 spring conversion, and dont have any springs other than that. Thank you very much for your time..
Im also not familiar with where Cypress is.. Is that in the states ?

P.S. For those reading, I did not purchase the slipper from Vahakn, I got it off Ebay, and it didnt have the directions. He was nice enough to respond to a post, and PM me..

Thanks again,
Brian Azsportbiker@aol.com

#11 ·
xdonniedarkox said:
Cypress is near Greece close (kind of) to Italy...
Sweet.. No wonder he knows about STM's.. :thumbup

These really look like a well made, and designed product.. I cant wait til I get to use mine

#12 · (Edited)
Azsportbiker said:
Vahakn,

I had PM'd you back requesting a set of instructions to install my STM on my 99. I never heard back from you. It doesn't look too bad, but I want to find where all of the little balls go. Im not around a Fax very often, and if you had the chance, I would gladly pay for the directions if you could email me them.. I also remember you saying you are a dealer for these, I would like to see about purchasing one of the STM diagpram springs on your recomendation. I currently have a Barnett 6 spring conversion, and dont have any springs other than that. Thank you very much for your time..
Im also not familiar with where Cypress is.. Is that in the states ?

P.S. For those reading, I did not purchase the slipper from Vahakn, I got it off Ebay, and it didnt have the directions. He was nice enough to respond to a post, and PM me..

Thanks again,
Brian Azsportbiker@aol.com

Hello there Brian
we have not scanned the instructions yet. the small steel balls should go onto the first layer of the clutch system at the bottom. you should use a bit of greese and install them on the magnesium colored base of the slipperclutch. there are small holes if u may that go across the direction of the base of the system. it sucks not to have a scanner. let me take a pic of the paper and trasnfer the pic to my PC. Rergarding the spring, The STM slipperclutch for the 03 modeldoes not have a spring included in the kit. it uses the original spring from the bike itself. You may however purchase a secondary spring to fine tune the slipperclutch. the more powerful the spring tension, the more engine braking while the slipperclutch is in action. i have it on my bike and did not install the secondary spring. it's mostly for road use anyway. the secondary spring is mostly suited in the track where u realy push the limits of the bike and u trail brake. We are in the process of becoming forum sponsors to help the members out with info and sales. We are importers of the brand and we supply to dealers. we do retail to customers and wholesale to dealers. The admin of the forum will inform all of our progress in the sponsorship.

#15 ·
Azsportbiker said:
Sweet.. No wonder he knows about STM's.. :thumbup

These really look like a well made, and designed product.. I cant wait til I get to use mine
did you end up using ramair on your bike?:hellobye

#16 ·
.04r1. said:
Are you sure? This is the first I've heard of it- No surprise, since STM's instructions suck.
the Slipperclutch was designed with the original clutch pack of the R1. the total thickness of the pack (fibres, and metal plates) should be at 43mm. We usually recommend the customer to purchase a fresh pack. we have always prefered graves clutches since it eliminates the 2 metal rings on the original one. We always make sure the last fibre plate is installed exactly like the rest of the pack, and not resting on a separate groove on top of the clutch basket. the actuation of the STM slipperclutch is a bit stiffer on the clutch lever. eliminating the 2 metal rings of the original greatly improves the feel of the clutch. yes i agree with u regarding the instructions, but that's what we are here for ;)

#17 ·
Vahakn said:
thanks for the support bro ;) i love this forum.
I agree !! Thanks so much for the info, I think I am closer now to it..The small steels are the only ones I am unsure of now.. I found a couple great pics when I did a search.. I do appriciate the help !

Blur.. I do have a Ram air on mine now. I am about to get my flatslides on. For some reason the bigger motor didnt like the stock air box up on the top end..

#18 ·
Azsportbiker said:
I agree !! Thanks so much for the info, I think I am closer now to it..The small steels are the only ones I am unsure of now.. I found a couple great pics when I did a search.. I do appriciate the help !

Blur.. I do have a Ram air on mine now. I am about to get my flatslides on. For some reason the bigger motor didnt like the stock air box up on the top end..
:thumbup cool i thought i remembered somewhere you were selling a ramair box? maybe you were buying one? i couldn't remember!:dunno ..:thumbup

#19 ·
I thought of selling mine for a little while.. I was going to start putting my ol gal back to stock.. Then I said screw it, and started buying things again !
Its allready an animal, I cant wait to try it with the carbs, and the slipper :rock

#20 ·
Azsportbiker said:
I thought of selling mine for a little while.. I was going to start putting my ol gal back to stock.. Then I said screw it, and started buying things again !
Its allready an animal, I cant wait to try it with the carbs, and the slipper :rock
i can at least vouch for the slipper:bow

#21 ·
Vahakn said:
Hello there Brian
we have not scanned the instructions yet. the small steel balls should go onto the first layer of the clutch system at the bottom. you should use a bit of greese and install them on the magnesium colored base of the slipperclutch. there are small holes if u may that go across the direction of the base of the system.
So let me see if I understand this.. ( I have 53 of the little bearings by the way ) Here are 2 pics from the base.. Do they go in the grove( I dont think there would be enough ) or do they set in the little holes as in the pics ? Lastly, do the 3 threaded holes in the base just hold the 2 magnesium peices together while you install the setup ?
Thanks again for the info, and anyone else feel free to chime in on tips !

Attachments

#22 ·
Here is the groove..

Attachments

#23 ·
i'll see if i can scan instructions. mine had 6 balls and they went at the bottom of the ramp grooves.... hang-on i'll try to scan the info:yesnod

#24 ·
blur1 said:
i'll see if i can scan instructions. mine had 6 balls and they went at the bottom of the ramp grooves.... hang-on i'll try to scan the info:yesnod
Blur, you have an STM right ? I see where the big balls go.. There was 5 small ones that came with this thing too.. It looks like there could be a grove for them next to the ramp. ( in the 2nd picture ) Would appriciate any infor you have..
Thanks !

#25 ·
Azsportbiker said:
Blur, you have an STM right ? I see where the big balls go.. There was 5 small ones that came with this thing too.. It looks like there could be a grove for them next to the ramp. ( in the 2nd picture ) Would appriciate any infor you have..
Thanks !
trying to scan the instructions now... i'm a dumbass when it comes to computer stuff.. bear with me.:hellobye

#26 ·
blur1 said:
trying to scan the instructions now... i'm a dumbass when it comes to computer stuff.. bear with me.:hellobye
Its all good.. I appriciate it !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.