Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

09 cat removal good and bad?

17K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Griffo17 
#1 ·
Was thinking abt either gutting my stock cat or getting an akro or graves y-pipe with no cat. Was wondering if anyone has done either and what benefits or problems they've seen since doing it....... Thanks all

#3 ·
if you are going to stick with your stock exhaust cans... just gut the y-pipe. The EXUP works best with a stock setup. If you are buying an aftermarket exhaust, get an aftermarket y-pipe and then tune your bike after install as it will be running lean.

#15 ·
I have a Akro, Y pipe. I also Flash my ECU This bike is monster. I believe and I been told that is better to remove the CAT and keep the original pipe, than to get a slipon and and keep the cat. the cat is what hold all the heat and keeps the flow out from your engine. You can ask any good mechanic and they all going to tell you to remove the cat.

Attachments

#19 ·
I have just installed the M4 y-pipe with GYTR slip ons and was no major hassle on the install, no heat shields installed, had the ECU flash tuned, feels better, runs better, sounds better.

Not perfect alignment (only due to my OCD) but I can live with it. Looks great with the exposed pipes rather than having the head shields installed.

#22 ·
I have just installed the M4 y-pipe with GYTR slip ons and was no major hassle on the install, no heat shields installed, had the ECU flash tuned, feels better, runs better, sounds better.

Not perfect alignment (only due to my OCD) but I can live with it. Looks great with the exposed pipes rather than having the head shields installed.

I've got the same setup on my 2010, wonky slip-ons and all [emoji3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.