How to do stand-up wheelies - Page 4 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Stunters Corner For all the R1 stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it.. those that do not like stunting, please stay away

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 433 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 10:04 PM
clean living + constant prayer

Send a message via AIM to R-Uno
Do a simple wheelie.

I have an 02 R1. In second gear at about 40 mph i slide to the back of the seat. With my index finger i pull the clutch in. In the time in takes you to pull that clutch in and release it you should have revved the bike enough to make it come almost straight up. I stay seated and and keep that throttle smooth. The key is throttle control. You cannot be abrupt! I will wheelie any straight where i live. In third gear at about 70 mph i do the same as second but add a slight tug to the bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 433 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 12:33 AM
DJS
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Send a message via Yahoo to DJS
I think...

I dont really know what anyone else here is really capable of when it comes down to it, but if you want to know how to ride some bad ass wheelies ask RIZZER 1 or anyone in that group...
me and my brother went over and rode with them the other day, they're a great bunch of guys, and they make it look too easy...
post #63 of 433 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 12:29 PM
I admit I have a large shween

I've always been crap at holding wheelies for any sor of duration, mostly due to fear instinct

but here's the technique i do for 2nd gear standups on my bone stock bike......roughly 50-55 mph

stand up, place knees against the tank and giver some gas chop it off a bit, and then full throttle right to the stop,

comes right up everythime now....so now I'm going to try the same thing sitting down as I feel like I'm in more control when sitting down

depending on the mods on your bike U may need less throttle, but it sounds like U need more....and relax your grip too always helps...

good luck

BaaaaD aZZ Mofo

post #64 of 433 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 01:03 PM

I finally started doing stand-up wheelies in second gear yesterday. For a while I was clutching up sit-downs in second but wanted to be able to ride out the wheelie for a longer amount of time. I attempted them before, but was never able to get the front off the ground far enough by bouncing it. Here are my findings. The bike comes up a lot smoother when you bounce it. At around 50mph, in second, stand up, let off the gas, push down on the front shocks and at the same time, open up the throttle. For a while I was making the mistake of pushing down on the front shocks and waiting till they rebounded to hit the throttle. Now it's coming up everytime.
post #65 of 433 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 12:11 PM
My R1 eats me.

Cool STAND UPS

I HAVE AN 02 R1 AND I HAVE FOUND THAT 2ND GEAR IS ALL YOU NEED TO WHEELIE IT FOR DAYS. I START AT ABOUT 55 TO BRING IT UP AND GO TO ABOUT 95. BUT SUNDAY I RODE ABOUT THREE WHEELIES THAT NEVER GOT OVER 70. IT IS ALL THROTTLE CONTROL AND TIMING. THE LAST ONE I RODE ON SUNDAY WAS RIGHT AT THREE MLES AT 68 MPH!! IT WAS AWESOME. WHEN ANY ONE COMES TO DALLAS LET ME KNOW AND ILL SHOW YOU WHERE EVERYONE RIDES!!! JUST KEEP PRACTICING AND YOU'LL BE THERE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT!!!

PIMPNIFICENT!!
post #66 of 433 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 11:03 AM
We say Uz a WanksTa...

what did you guys do to get over the "fear factor"......when I bring mine up about a foot......I put it down quickly. I know I'm far from flipping but it's just scary!

I guess I need to take my tampon out and get some Bizzalls!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 433 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 10:49 PM
I eat my R1

Drizay

I think everybody is very scared at first.

1) R1's are damn expensive to replace
2) You don't want to hurt yourself

I think the key to learning wheelies is little steps. Don't push yourself too much. The posts here are excellent. Try different gears, try different positions, etc. You will find one that works for you. Than master that....learn something else.

For me, I'm now working on standups. Frankly, I still enjoy sitdowns better and can ride them for much longer. Soon, it will be like that for my standups. At least I hope.

JoeRocket[R1]
Go Joe!!

post #68 of 433 (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 07:20 PM

Heya JAYSTENSEC4CYL

I dont claim to be a wheely legend but one thing I can do is slow em down, I have put it up at 140 and landed at 90 Kph, my advise would be dont be afraid of the other side of the balance point, it's not like you hit the backside and it's all over, it actually falls back pretty slow and allows time for correction, the only thing you gotta watch out for is falling of the back of the bike!!!

now im trying the high chairs at the moment, any tips?

clutch it in second ? (im 75 kgs)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_4283.jpg
Views:	1486
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	7257  
post #69 of 433 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 06:31 PM
Crashed 4 R1's

Cool

I'm all for the clutch-up wheelies. 35 is about the slowest 2nd-gear clutch-up I've been able to do on the '01. 95 is about the fastest I can clutch it up in 2nd, and unless I'm quick shiftin', it's a short wheelie. (110 and your at the rev limiter in 2)

Shifting into 3rd is still a 50/50 craps shoot, but man, when it hits and stays, it's a friggin' show-offs paradise. The bike stops accelerating at 126 mph in 3rd, so that's usually where I end up.

It's all about practice. The day I decided I was gonna ride wheelies, I made a point of takin' an hour every day to go practice. It eventually worked and then I moved on to upshifting. Very scary.

I use the clutch when upshifting to 3rd. It's difficult to convince yourself to speed-shift a torque monster when it's standin' on its ass. Memories of riding a '98 all the way over at 110 are difficult to ignore, but practice gets you through it. The thing actually wants to fall down the minute you pull the clutch to speed shift and doesn't jerk back up like I always expected it to. It either hits and I stay up, or it hits and I've got the wrong revs/angle and it sits back down.

I try to cover the rear brake, but I've found that every time I get over center and the vomit factor kicks in, I never even think about tappin' rear brakes. It's not instinctive. I just hang on, shit myself, wait, and the nose drops back down. It's all over in a millisecond. I suppose it's all about practice. If I was purposely throttling the bike over center with the intention of using the rear brake to save it, I'd probably learn to use it instinctivley. My only problem is that I don't have an R1 that I can throw down the road amidst my practice errors.

This week's trade of the '01 for the '02 sends me back to the back of the wheelie pack. The throttle is weird with this fuel injected ride. Freaks me out.

Today I'm a wheelie lover trapped in a pussy's body.

800 more break-in miles.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...it's rainin' in Tennessee.

Hmmm, I haven't played with this thing in awhile....

post #70 of 433 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 01:50 PM
One Wheel

Send a message via Yahoo to Bigz
I ride my 02-R1 on one wheel as often as posible. I bring the bike up in 2nd whit the bounce method, then shift to third. I use to many RPM's to ballance out in second. Once in third, the bike does the work. ballance point comes naturally.

Kevin
post #71 of 433 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 08:06 PM
Johnny Chimpo

Send a message via AIM to Tweak
i just got my R1, once im done w/ the break in, she's gonna be on 1 wheel
post #72 of 433 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 06:08 AM

whats the better wheelie bike, the '02 R1, or the earlier models, and why??

are the cbr900/929's and suzuki 750's the best bikes for wheelis overall, and why?
thanks guys.
post #73 of 433 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 06:25 AM

Bounce

Please can someone explain how you bounce for a wheelie?

Thanks Nick
post #74 of 433 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 07:13 PM
Wild Willie

Yes guys keep it up, this thread rules. I need to get all the information I can about riding wheelies. I havent broke my cherry yet.

It don't cook, it don't clean, but it's more fun to ride than my wife.
post #75 of 433 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 03:54 AM
One Wheel

Send a message via Yahoo to Bigz
The bounce method is nothing more than compressing the front forks, you do not actually bounce the front.
There was a question about whick bike is better to wheelie. The new 02-R1 has a longer fram than the old R-1, and the power is higher in the reves do to injection instead of carb. My roomate has a 929, and it is a little tricky to bring up. My buddy has a 954, and it comes up eassy in 1,2,3,and 4, but I can do the same on my 02-R1.

Kevin
post #76 of 433 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 12:20 PM
ex-squid

Well, I FINALLY GOT IT!!! woooohhhoooooo

I have been playing around with stand-ups in 1st for about a week - trying to reach the balance point...it seems way up there compared to my old 97' CBR900. Anyway, this AM I jumped on the tollway headed up to Frisco to meet a buddy and go to breakfast. Well, I caught up with about 10 riders who were all mostly in leathers. As I exited the tollway a couple of them bounced it up and proceeded to do some awesome standups at about 80mph...it inspired me. I got off on a vacant road and without even thinking about it I stood up...bounced the front in 2nd gear and UP SHE CAME! I was so happy that I let off the throttle a little and immediately tried it again - UP SHE CAME (again).

FINALLY! I guess all of the reading I've done about how and all of the videos I've downloaded sunk in and it paid off. Thanks to everyone for great advice. It truly is a TIMING thing - I didn't have to jerk the bars very much at all. I am 5' 7" and 170...well....ok 180 so just a word to all of you "smaller" riders out there - it can be done.
post #77 of 433 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 02:08 PM
Mushroom~Cloud Layin Mthafcka

Send a message via AIM to Draggin Send a message via Yahoo to Draggin
hey, this is the stand up wheelie thread, but theres alot of just wheelie help in here....i am in need of stand up wheelie help

I am getting pretty damn good at 1 and 2nd gear wheelies now, i can hold both to the limiter. my longest has been a 2nd gear wheelie for about a mile now....what i cant do is hold steady RPMs and keep the front end up, so I know im not at the balance point yet. I have been there only a handful of times, and hitting the balance point is as scarey as the front time you have taken the front tire off the ground...even if it was only a foot)

so anyways, i have tried a few things...wheelies with the feet off the pegs, thats kinda fun....but how in the hell do yah do a stand up? i only attempted it once. I was rolling in 2nd gear about 45mph, went to clutch it up and it just didnt feel right, felt like i was gonna launch myself off the back of the bike. am i going too slow?...how is your body position supposed to be...are you supposed to stand at the same time your front end starts to loft?...are you supposed to be kinda crouched on your bike, or fully leg locked when you hit the throttle to bring it up....etc etcccc...i know that whatever the hell I am doing , its wrong thanks for the advice in advance, stunterz....
post #78 of 433 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 05:02 AM
R1 junkie

While in second gear running 45 you don't have to clutch it. Just bounce it up.

It is what it is.
post #79 of 433 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 05:33 AM
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
While in second gear running 45 you don't have
to clutch it. Just bounce it up.
I agree, 2nd gear at 4k rpm, and a LITTLE bounce and its up in the sky, WHY using the clutch, instead ya should practice on tha technique

and in 3rd, 1 bounce at 6k rpm and BOOMM

NO CLUTCH, its all in the technique
post #80 of 433 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 12:33 AM
Mushroom~Cloud Layin Mthafcka

Send a message via AIM to Draggin Send a message via Yahoo to Draggin
body position guys...at what point do you start to stand up, are you crouched, are you already wheelie-ing....etcc etcc...play by play how do yah stand up while doing a wheelie....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode