How to do stand-up wheelies - Page 5 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Stunters Corner For all the R1 stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it.. those that do not like stunting, please stay away

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 433 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 03:03 PM
My R1 eats me.

Well, here is my 2 cents.... I'm new to the board but not stunting.

On my 1200 Bandit I ride stand ups switch foot (one foot on the rear peg). It's a little easier to bring up and my Bandit is a tank compared to the R1. I also use a clutch up/bounce for my standups in second gear.(R1 in third at about 50mph) It's a combo move that you need good timing on. Some of you guys wanting to try an easier approch may want to try switch foot.

For sitdown "slow" wheelie's you can keep them between 35-45mph using the back brake. Bring the bike up quick to beyond 12 while on the rear brake. You need to be at 12-1 o'clock and hard on the rear brake. You ride the rear brake the whole time. This takes alot of practice and some nads. If you are doing this right your bike should almost feel like its bouncing because of the rear suspension. Whatever you do... DO NOT let off the rear brake at this point.... you will loop it.

As for long wheelie's(sitdown) I like to crack it in first gear then change to second as the wheel comes about 2ft off the deck, ride second out then change to third before the bike starts to loose power. No clutching involved just click gears... remember when clicking gears the bike usually will go a little higher as you change gears so be ready for it.

If you want to learn good wheelies you will. Just try a little bit everytime you ride. Thats how we all learned. PRACTICE!

Peace - MC

Stand it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 433 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 07:31 PM
Mushroom~Cloud Layin Mthafcka

Send a message via AIM to Draggin Send a message via Yahoo to Draggin
whats up R1 and bandit...do a search on chicago riders, im tryin to plan a short ride up to Highland house for those of us in the area....im thinkin not this weekend, but next weekend...sunday morning...welcome to the board
post #83 of 433 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 05:07 PM
the silver one...

my answer is if you got an 02'...it's just a twist of the wrist!!!!!

XXX

post #84 of 433 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 10:01 AM
One Wheel

Send a message via Yahoo to Bigz
Lightbulb

I ride an 02 R-1, and have no problem bringing the bike up in 3rd with no clutch. However, when you use the bikes power to bring the bike up you gain speed. that is how you get hert if you are a dume ass, and not wearing any gear. The clutch alows you to bring the bike up with a dramatic increase in speed.

Kevin
post #85 of 433 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 09:40 AM
clutch it up!!!

Send a message via AIM to motopsyko32
i guess its a matter of balls but does anyone else have or has had the following problem:

In second gear standups, I get up off the seat. As the bike starts rising I sit down subconciously. Is it a matter of balls?

...Here once lived a good man... or so the story went...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #86 of 433 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 12:21 PM
Banned

Nope just a mater of position. Try this, for me it's the most comfortable way to do a stand up and I prefer it 9 out of 10 times. Put either your left or right leg on the seat, you'll hit your g spot easier and it's definetly more comfortable. Or put your left on the read peg and right on front, this is a good 12 position but don't **** with that if you don't know what I'm talking about.
post #87 of 433 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 12:23 PM
clutch it up!!!

I dont think i will mess with 12 o clocks until i get standups down packed on 2 3 and 4 gears

post #88 of 433 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 12:31 PM
Banned

do you clutch, bounce or pull?
post #89 of 433 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 12:31 PM
clutch it up!!!

bounce and pull

post #90 of 433 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 12:58 PM
Banned

I assume your doing 2nd and 3rd then? If you havn't got that balance point down to slow you down yet. Lower your rpms and drop the clutch at lower speeds it will allow you to ride them longer.
post #91 of 433 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 01:00 PM
clutch it up!!!

well i might be going trying to learn to fast but i dont even have the balance point on first gear sitdowns

post #92 of 433 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 05:40 PM
Banned

Dude 1st gear is way to touchy, don't bother! Stick with second, but I will tell you this, keep at it and go at a pace you are comfortable with. Coz I'll tell you this, once you get to that point where you are comfortable riding out those wheelies, you'll start throwing your legs all over that thing!
post #93 of 433 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 10:46 PM
Insert BaBlaBla here ---»

Send a message via Yahoo to Rickr6
Cool

i'm new in this forum guys but one thing i know for sure...you guys can argue about the way you lift it up but in the end of the day you all will end in one thing ...for better control you need to use the rear brake....u can lift it in 2 ...stand up put the bike in the right point in which you need only a bit of power to keep it up then shift to 3 and gently bounce your right hand for a long time or...keep changing gears if you want but knowing that if you give to much the brake will help tp smoth things my opinion is controling the rear brake you always have more options to lift it up.....and dont think that you can't flip in a 1000 bike....you can get a surprise

Last edited by Rickr6; 11-24-2002 at 10:53 PM.
post #94 of 433 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 07:07 PM
www.voodooracing.com

I've come straight to the last page. I might be repeating somebody else but....I went up two teeth on the back sprocket. I ride stand ups till my arms get tired. Fourth better than third, third better than second, etc.
Not braggin, just meaning the sprocket helped a ton.

You coming to my Bar-B-Que?..........When I put my meat on your grill!
post #95 of 433 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 11:34 AM
clutch it up!!!

when you go up in teeth does the chain still remain at 530?

post #96 of 433 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 05:47 AM
www.voodooracing.com

Yeah keep it 530. No need to change that.

When you start learning to slow the bike down on a wheelie then you'll learn how to adjust for turning. When the bike is siiting in the balance point it's hard to change lanes to pass traffic, but if if you lower the bike a bit and speed up it is fairly easy to lean towards the lane you want to go in.
When I say traffic I mean the clean up guys at the race track.

You coming to my Bar-B-Que?..........When I put my meat on your grill!
post #97 of 433 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 02:46 PM
You betta ask somebody

you guys sould like scientists

You gotta remember....wheelies are not a science, it's art! So keep it simple when bringing it up, balance that mofo, and then go for the style points! First of all, you are desperate if you use 1st gear. Come on, that's just wrong. On an R1, if you can't work magic in 2nd (even sitting down)....then you shouldn't be bringing it up. Stand it up, go steeper, then a bit steeper, then relax....cause you are looking good and can ride it out all day long.

Its about style....because once you can ride them long, who cares? The hot chicks in that convertible won't keep up with you that long. So give them a little style! Look at 'em....one hand it....Can-Can...whatever. Plus, Highway Patrol or Troopers will roll your ass up if you ride them too far.

Not being a jerk....but just telling it like it is. Or at least how I see it.

Stitch Jones....
What do you mean you can't pick it up? Gas it!
post #98 of 433 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 02:49 PM
clutch it up!!!

For people that are learning how to wheelie, yes desperation does kick in. So call me deperate for wheelieng in 1st but I will continue to do so till I feel comfortable and confident.

post #99 of 433 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 08:37 AM
We say Uz a WanksTa...

Yeah Stitch!

I feel you....

I don't need to ride em for 3 or 4 miles.....I just want to get to a point where the people around me.....meaning......da are thoroughly impressed with my skillzzzz.

still workin on it though

post #100 of 433 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 08:49 AM
My R1 ate my R6

My low oil pressure light came on during a long(2 mile +) standup the other day. I added some extra oil and haven't ridden since, waiting for the weekend!

Sometimes the benefits of the reward are worth a lot more than the consequences of the risk involved.

R.I.P. Carlos, we will not forget you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode