All Your Answers On How To Wheelie - Page 5 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Stunters Corner For all the R1 stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it.. those that do not like stunting, please stay away

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Kris

good info!!!

Just enjoying each curve as they come my way!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Sold bike. Gone

Can't wait...

Awesome thread!

Now I can't wait till morning to try it out on the 2000 R1 I got last this week.

Thanks,
Shawn
post #83 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Experience is something you do

The one thing I have learnt and not mastered yet is that all of the R1's are different. I was just getting to grip with my 2003 bike before hi siding it!!!! I could lift it at around 55-60mph in second by chopping the throttle. I could not change gear but on occasion I would carry it out to around 120mph!!

Now I have the 2006 R1. As yet I have only lifted the front using the same method at around 90-100mph!! It is geared loads higher!!! Changing the sprockets screws the speedo up so I am relunctant to change but hi speed wheelies scare me a little! Will start trying again this week and post but welcome tips for the 06 bike

And.

post #84 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 08:32 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasted View Post
The one thing I have learnt and not mastered yet is that all of the R1's are different. I was just getting to grip with my 2003 bike before hi siding it!!!! I could lift it at around 55-60mph in second by chopping the throttle. I could not change gear but on occasion I would carry it out to around 120mph!!

Now I have the 2006 R1. As yet I have only lifted the front using the same method at around 90-100mph!! It is geared loads higher!!! Changing the sprockets screws the speedo up so I am relunctant to change but hi speed wheelies scare me a little! Will start trying again this week and post but welcome tips for the 06 bike
sounds like you know what your doing just practice more then youll feel more comfortable with doing 130 mph wheelies . if you insist on doing slower ones i say bounce it at just about any speed after 30mph. are you just chopping it and or clutching it too?
post #85 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 12:17 PM
I eat my R1

06 is spining the rear like hell tyre (stock one ) all the way back so I will try to move it forward as much as I can and try again.
post #86 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Experience is something you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme View Post
sounds like you know what your doing just practice more then youll feel more comfortable with doing 130 mph wheelies . if you insist on doing slower ones i say bounce it at just about any speed after 30mph. are you just chopping it and or clutching it too?
I am chopping the throttle and tugging on the bars as I have found this works better for me? I never liked clutching it as my results seemed less consistent and more eratic. That and the back often lost grip when dumping the clutch!! I may rethink changing the sprockets

And.
post #87 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Have keys, Will Travel

Hello all,

I've uploaded a full length video that i think you all will find interesting. its a step by step process of how to basic wheelies to advanced tank spreaders. the video a little over an hour long so i had to break it up for u tube.

This will certainly benifit the nuebs (like me) and might even give the pros a pointer or two....

Level 1
Wheelies For Dummies

This is one of the best motorcycle videos out with all the information you will ever need to know. Starting from the beginning to the most insane combo wheelies you could ever imagine. Step by step motorcycle video instructions through the top techniques with Kyle Woods and Matt Gorka.

In eight part succession:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyT6snSbKA4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V79IvvA3jy0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ydjEm_AXUk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZIkDZ15q8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGhl7p5Kl18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf8u82iO8Wk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67d0wbwqtSQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhfcrwUcXwU

Or as a playlist

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...7D5AA7403A811E

Let me know if you would like the video, I am sure I can work something out.

This is what you say when you have nothing to say.
post #88 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Bartender! Make mine a double

this was pretty helpful

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...91590638402466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
STEEL HORSES MC BKNY
BROOKLYN WE GO HARD ..........!!!

MODERN WARFARE 2 , BLACK OPS , MADDEN PS3 : LETS GET IT!!!!!!
post #89 of 179 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 06:50 PM
EX Suzuki Rider

Send a message via MSN to Gamehunter Send a message via Yahoo to Gamehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisoneguy View Post
Hello all,

I've uploaded a full length video that i think you all will find interesting. its a step by step process of how to basic wheelies to advanced tank spreaders. the video a little over an hour long so i had to break it up for u tube.

This will certainly benifit the nuebs (like me) and might even give the pros a pointer or two....

Level 1
Wheelies For Dummies

This is one of the best motorcycle videos out with all the information you will ever need to know. Starting from the beginning to the most insane combo wheelies you could ever imagine. Step by step motorcycle video instructions through the top techniques with Kyle Woods and Matt Gorka.

In eight part succession:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyT6snSbKA4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V79IvvA3jy0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ydjEm_AXUk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZIkDZ15q8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGhl7p5Kl18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf8u82iO8Wk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67d0wbwqtSQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhfcrwUcXwU

Or as a playlist

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...7D5AA7403A811E

Let me know if you would like the video, I am sure I can work something out.
Damn...says the videos are no longer available....any idea where else to get these?? PM me....
Thanks!!
post #90 of 179 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 02:39 AM
Have keys, Will Travel

Yeah....I got a message from Kyle Woods (the guy in the vid) saying it was copyright infringement and to cese and desist. That he notified uTube and would file legal actions if I repeat the infraction...

sorry... so if anyone still wants the vid - pm me...

post #91 of 179 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:15 AM
EX Suzuki Rider

Send a message via MSN to Gamehunter Send a message via Yahoo to Gamehunter
No prob man...better to be safe than sorry

Thanks for the quick reply
post #92 of 179 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
I eat my R1

Send a message via MSN to rtpassini
last i heard tons of people were waiting months for the videos from him. i dont think most of them even recieved them. and people wonder why others steal from them.
post #93 of 179 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 04:46 PM
LIFE IS SHORT

http://www.superstreetbike.com/stunt_howto/030_0312_how_wheelie_trick_street_bike/index.html

Wheelies Explained

How'd They Do That?
By Dan Jackson
Photography by Joe Appel

The wheelie--the granddaddy of all street freestyle stunts--can be both the simplest and the most complex trick in a professional stunt rider's routine. While a standard sit-down wheelie is almost elementary in execution, the more incredible variations--skyscraping High Chairs, 12s, creeping No-Handers--leave us mortals tugging our chins and wondering, "How'd they do that?"

Never ones to tug (chin) in vain, Super Streetbike asked Team XMX (www.teamxmx.com) ringleader "Crazy Dan" Jackson to give us a peek behind the curtain and expose the mechanics of his gravity-defying wheel stands. An accomplished freestyle motocrosser and street freestyle prodigy (his 2002 CBR954RR was his first-ever streetbike), Crazy Dan is just the man for this job. The 25-year-old Jackson came out of nowhere (Kansas City, if you're looking for it on a map) to finish third in the '02 XSBA Street Freestyle Championship, and at press time was leading the '03 series. In addition, Jackson has posted wins at numerous non-XSBA-sanctioned stunt competitions, and also recently launched his own stunting school (www.stunterschool.com, see page 16 for more details), further cementing his credentials. Read on as Jackson, in his own words, lays bare the secrets of mono-wheel mayhem.

Basic Sit-Down

"Sit-downs are the easiest wheelies to do, but the hardest to explain. There are so many different ways to wheelie a sportbike, and some methods work better than others depending on the rider and machine. I'll explain what I do--but keep in mind, other riders might be lifting it up differently.

"There are two kinds of wheelies: power wheelies and clutched wheelies. A power wheelie uses the bike's motor to get the front wheel up. You get the revs up near the bike's torque peak and goose the throttle to snap the front end up. On a 1000cc bike this is easy--just snap the throttle at around 6000 rpm and it wheelies. A smaller bike such as a 600 needs a little help. On these, I'll roll the rpm up higher, then chop the gas and snap it on again. Chopping the throttle will cause the front end to dive for an instant, and the rebounding of the fork will help the front end come up when you snap the throttle back on. On a 600, you almost have to open the throttle all the way to the stop to get the front end up under power. A literbike takes much less throttle--snap my CBR954RR to the stop and you'll be on your ass instantly. That's why I don't like power wheelies--you're dealing with a lot of power, and the possibility of looping the bike is greater.

"I prefer clutched wheelies; the front comes up quicker and you're lower in the rev range when you bring the front end up, so you're not going as fast and you've got more time to find the balance point before you hit the rev limiter. For a clutched wheelie, I'll pull the clutch in, just enough to cause the rpm to rise up to the torque peak, and then let it out quickly. I'm pulling the clutch in just slightly, just into the friction zone. The revs rise for a split second, and then I drop the clutch--don't ease it out--and back off the throttle incrementally as the front end comes up. The higher the front wheel goes the less throttle is needed to keep it up. Backing off keeps the bike from going over.

"Either way, on power or with the clutch, I keep my arms stiff, squeeze the tank with my legs and always cover the rear brake. If things get ugly, you just tap the rear brake and both wheels are back on the ground. If you're looking straight ahead, when you can't see over the bike you know you're getting close to the balance point."

Standup

"Same as a sit-down, you can do this one either on power or on the clutch. I'll also bounce the bike a bit to help it up. Bouncing down on the handlebars preloads the front suspension. The energy of the fork releasing, combined with the throttle input, pops the wheel up. I'll stand up first, then lean forward and bounce it by pushing down on my arms, causing the fork to compress. When the fork comes back up I'm on the gas (not as much as a sit down--standups take less power to lift up!) and pulling on the handlebars to bring the bike up.

"As the front wheel comes up, I'll drop my butt back a little bit to help it along. I bend my knees when I'm pulling the bike up, and once it gets up to about 10 o'clock I'll straighten my legs and lean back. With a standup you can hold the throttle in one spot and use your body language to control the wheelie.

"Because body language makes it so easy to balance a standup, it's easy to ride one through the gears. To shift during a wheelie, I'll blip the throttle just a touch right before the shift. When you fan the clutch to shift, it kills power to the wheelie, and if you don't blip the throttle a touch this can cause you to drop the front wheel. So I'll blip it, causing the front wheel to float a bit higher for a split second, then shift as quickly as possible. Preloading the shifter and just nudging the clutch lever will help you shift faster. I generally shift as early as possible. If you shift when you're hard on the gas or your revs are up, you're more likely to miss the shift. The sooner you shift, the less likely you are to miss the gear. But not too soon, so you don't bog the revs! Incidentally, these shifting rules are the same for a sit-down wheelie."

Can Can

"To do a Can Can, I start just like I would [with] a regular standup wheelie, and as soon as I get the wheelie to where I'm comfortable, I take my right leg off and stick it between the tank and my left leg. You have to be careful getting your foot through there. There's not much room between your leg and the tank, so you have to know where you're going without looking and get it through there quickly.

"During a Can Can most of your body weight is to the left side of the bike, so you need to counterweight yourself by rocking your shoulders over to the right side of the bike. It's all about keeping your balance centered. Whenever I'm moving around, I make sure to do it slowly, so I can feel which way it's going to go. Moving around really fast will cause the bike to get out of control.

"If I ever do get out of control, or to where I feel like I'm making a mistake, I just let off the gas or tap the rear brake and put the front down--it doesn't really matter where I'm standing on the bike, once both wheels are on the ground I'm safe."

High Chair

"For this one I start by sitting on the gas tank with both legs out to the side. The easiest and safest way is to kick out one leg at a time; that way you still have at least one hand on the bars. But with cruise control you can do both legs at once, which looks better in competition.

"Starting out with High Chairs, it's a good thing to dig your ankles to grip onto the headlight so you don't go flying off the back. Denting in the tank here really helps too because it gives you a flat surface to sit on. I always clutch any tank wheelies up. High Chairs (or anything where you are sitting on the tank) take more throttle because you have more weight over the front of the bike. But because your weight is so far forward, and because you're using more throttle, you have to watch and be smooth on the clutch so you don't get wheelspin. Leaning back helps, too, and so does blipping the gas to bounce the bike a little bit.

"[For] my High Chairs, I don't even touch my feet to the fairing at all; I just try to stick my legs up in the air as high as I can, and all that touches is my ass on the tank."

Frog

"Frog wheelies are a lot like High Chairs--I get up on the tank first, then clutch it up. Just like the High Chair, you have to be smooth pulling it up because you've still got all your weight over the front. Plus, you don't really have anything to hold onto, so when you drop the clutch your body weight wants to go backward. That's going to make you wanna hold onto the bars even more tightly, which can cause you to twist the throttle more than you should. So to avoid unwanted throttle inputs, you have to grip tighter with your left arm than your right.

"The hardest part with a Frog wheelie is putting it down. When you set the wheel down it throws all your weight forward, and when you're standing up on the tank and just holding on to the handlebars, there's not much to keep you from just flipping over the front. Not for amateurs, this trick."

No-Hander

"For a Standup No-Hander, you're standing with your foot on the 12 bar and you've got your idle turned up, so you're basically using your foot to balance the bike and riding the wheelie with no hands, controlling the height of the front tire with your body and also with the rear brake.

"Sit-down No-Handers are a bit harder because you don't have the leverage of your foot out on the bar to balance the bike. Again, I'm doing this with the idle turned up. I get the bike up to about 11 o'clock, then let go of the bars and just lean back and control the front tire height with a combination of body lean and rear brake. To keep myself on the bike, I'll squeeze the tank with my knees and sit back against the passenger seat. If I work my body position just right, I don't even have to use the rear brake."

12 O'Clock

"A 12 O'clock is all about brake control. You bring it up in first gear, and you have to get on the gas really hard to get the wheel up as high as you can, and then use your rear brake to stop the bike at 12 o'clock. Once you get it up, instead of using the throttle to control the height of [the] front wheel, you're actually using the rear brake. You're on the gas more than normal, and using the brake to keep from going over.

"Twelves require a lot of body language, using your shoulders to rock the bike from side to side to keep it from tipping over sideways. I use my knees and legs like outriggers to balance the bike, and mostly hold myself on with my arms.

"On the scrape, a lot of people think you just fall back and ride the bar, but the bike still wants to sway from side to side. If you want to 'park' a 12 O'clock, you use the rear brake to slow down--but not too much. If you use too much, it's just going to cause the bike to fall down."

Circle

"Circles and other slow wheelies are the hardest to learn. I'm still learning Circles, in fact. These are all about trusting your tires and getting into a groove. Once you get into a groove, it's all brake and throttle control.
"There are three different ways to do Circles. Some guys ride on the regular pegs; some with the left foot on the left passenger peg; or some with the left foot on the 12 bar. I use the second method, with my left foot on the passenger peg. I haven't done too much with my foot on the bar, but I think there is an advantage because you've got more leverage on the back of the bike. You can use your body weight more to control the height of the tire.
"To initiate a Circle I clutch it up with my feet already in position, bringing it up like a 12 O'clock, using the rear brake. For Circles (and No-Handers, too) I'll turn the idle up to 3500 rpm, so I don't really have to worry about the gas. But with the idle up that high, and your bike so high, if you don't use the rear brake you'll loop out.

"Once you get the bike up there, you initiate the turn by bending the inside knee and shifting body weight into the wheelie. You want to keep looking into the wheelie because you go where you look. You keep it going by blipping the throttle and tapping the brake. The gas makes it run wide and the brake tightens the Circle up--the same concepts as with cornering on a roadracing track."

post #94 of 179 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 09:43 PM
GvillefloridaR1

Send a message via Yahoo to GvillefloridaR1
moto, I just got a 07 R1.. i have been riding for a while but just now tryin to learn to wheelie.... There is some talk about the throttle lag in 2nd around 55rpm do u think this is mess me up? i about 6 foot 250lbs do u think me being a big guy can effect the way i need to wheelie?
post #95 of 179 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 01:49 AM
Have keys, Will Travel

I put the video back up....

Or if you torrent

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/382...48.TPB.torrent

Last edited by thisoneguy; 09-30-2007 at 01:57 AM.
post #96 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 05:44 AM
Have keys, Will Travel

Ha, google is ontop of there stuff, it was only up a 2 days, when it took a week for utube to catch it...

Torrent is going strong - Long live Pirate Bay.

If anyone needs me to explain how to torrent - PM me.

post #97 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:56 PM
My R1 eats me.

How do u do 2nd gear wheelie on an R1? Do u really have to use one finger to dump the clutch? How high the rpm have to be?
post #98 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperRy View Post
On my 04 I found that a light bounce in 2nd at 6.5k and hard throttle finds me a perfect balance point around 11.5k where I can ride it out. However, realize that the 04 makes 70whp (wot of course) between 7-11k... becareful cause it will creep up on you quick. I haven't tried clutching up yet cause I can bounce up third at around 8k pretty damn easy also. On the R6 I had to clutch up 2nd even with sprockets, but I really don't find a need in the 04.

For you 04 boys, if you are clutching up what gear and Rs are you turning? Also, do you find it a lot easier to ride out a stand up if you clutched up at lower Rs?

-Ryan
hey ryan,

i always find clutch up wheelies more predictable, once you get used the feeling of it been straight there, its a lot more stable.

if your power wheeling you can do it three ways, bounce like you do, little stab on the back brake then straight on the power, or little stab on the front brake and power up.

i have gone down a tooth on the front sprocket and find that just winding on in first brings a predictable wheelie lower in the rev range BUT i never ride out 1st gear wheelies i always shift into second as the front comes up then i normally change into third and ride it on the torque curve.

the most stable wheelies are normally around 50 - 60mph but on bikes like the 06 cbr600 if you clutch up about 90mph they are mega balanced.

this is what happens when i take test rides from the dealers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-sCFRDF7k

oh and a final thought if your tall like me stand up wheelies are very very hard to clutch up as its such an unatural position to be in, i learned wheelies sitting down got them balanced, started riding them out over distances and then when i was comfortable riding one at a constant speed i started to stand up. i always sit back down before the front wheel lands.

there is a good video kicking around too if you cant find it let me know i'll send you it. its called "wheelies for dummies" and there is also "advanced wheelies for dummies"

hope i make some kind of sense.

cheers

mike
post #99 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:19 PM
My R1 eats me.

I still couldn't figure out how to 2nd gear slippen clutch wheelie, how high does the rpm have to be? Do u really have to use 1 finger to dump the clutch? So freaking frustrated trying to practice that.
post #100 of 179 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:34 AM
I eat my R1

Guys,

I've just switched from R6 to 07 R1 and have little problems. I always did power wheelins on 1st gear, little practice and it works fine on R1... but I cannot take R1 on 2nd gear for power wheelie... i guess its not lack of power but something on my mind. What rpms should i go to make power wheelie on 2ng gear? by power wheelie i mean... going on certain rpms close the throttle and then open it.

Other thing is that i need to learn clutch wheelies, i've read all that text above but still cant figure out how to do it. any tips on rpm-s gears? i guess i should to learn stand-up wheelies while clutching as it's better way to manage BP ?

Nowak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode