For the Forum gun fiends! - Page 439 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #8761 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 AM
Track time :flex:

Oh shit didnt know ctd wouldnt ship here, i might have to look into making them myself. Never done it, how hard is it?

CCS #171

2014 NE Middleweight SuperSport Champion
2014 NE Middleweight SuperBike Champion

Sponsored by:
-J&G Performance 781-871-1404
-DanQ Suspensions
-Dunlop
-Vortex
-Race Tech Suspensions

What's the right tire for YOUR bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8762 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 05:23 AM
Redistribution Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRce1o View Post
Oh shit didnt know ctd wouldnt ship here, i might have to look into making them myself. Never done it, how hard is it?
Depends on what you are reloading for.As far as difficulty,there are formulas for what kind of powder and how much to use with any given bullet weight in any caliber all over the internet.

Quick rundown of the steps:

Clean brass.
Measure and trim brass.
Seat primer
Measure and add powder
Seat bullet.
Measure overall length for spec.

I only reload for my bolt gun,it isn't hard but it is very time consuming measuring and weighing everything.But I am looking for accuracy,not trying to save money.

If you want to reload for handguns or semi-auto rifles,it's not hard.The initial investment(dies,press,scale) can get kind of expensive and it will take a few thousand rounds before you start to realize any savings.If you are reloading to save money,you need to look into a progressive reloading press.It is a lot quicker than a single stage setup,but is also a lot more expensive.

With the election results,the components(powder,primers,brass and bullets) are going to do nothing but go up in price,so keep that in mind as well.

If you understood the dangers of todays modern malls,you would not mock the brave men and women that secure them for our freedom and safety.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 11-11-2012 at 05:39 AM.
post #8763 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 05:38 AM
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrtheFreak View Post
Over-rated? Yeah, right.
Seriously. There are production units out there that shoot as good or better for half the price. You're paying for a name now that the manufacturers have caught up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Kirk is a total dick.
post #8764 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
This is true but depending on what he's looking for they may be limited or unavailable.
Yep, was what I intended to say. Not a lot of quantity, and depending upon location, may not carry specific rounds. But, always worth a check when walking through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Seriously. There are production units out there that shoot as good or better for half the price. You're paying for a name now that the manufacturers have caught up.

Just like Kimber. Both are still very good guns. But, why pay higher prices when you don't have to? Unless of course, you want to.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic6861_1.gif
  • RIP to our fallen brothers. You will all be missed and remembered:
    • crazyclimbr - March 4, 2007
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
post #8765 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 06:40 AM
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRce1o View Post
Most people won't ship gun control bastion cities, even if it's legal. We have one town here that still has a magazine ban and ammo ban on the books even though it's not legal for them to do so. Dealers won't ship to them.

Quote:
Kirk is a total dick.
post #8766 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 AM
MummyMan

Do you just load them or do you reload them? Just curious as I didn't see anything about resizing the brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Depends on what you are reloading for.As far as difficulty,there are formulas for what kind of powder and how much to use with any given bullet weight in any caliber all over the internet.

Quick rundown of the steps:

Clean brass.
Measure and trim brass.
Seat primer
Measure and add powder
Seat bullet.
Measure overall length for spec.

I only reload for my bolt gun,it isn't hard but it is very time consuming measuring and weighing everything.But I am looking for accuracy,not trying to save money.

If you want to reload for handguns or semi-auto rifles,it's not hard.The initial investment(dies,press,scale) can get kind of expensive and it will take a few thousand rounds before you start to realize any savings.If you are reloading to save money,you need to look into a progressive reloading press.It is a lot quicker than a single stage setup,but is also a lot more expensive.

With the election results,the components(powder,primers,brass and bullets) are going to do nothing but go up in price,so keep that in mind as well.
post #8767 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Redistribution Supplier

Ya Corey, kind of forgot that step..lol

If you understood the dangers of todays modern malls,you would not mock the brave men and women that secure them for our freedom and safety.
post #8768 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 10:39 AM
MummyMan

I read it over and over thinking maybe I was stoopid and missed it LOL. Just wondered if maybe you didn't reuse the brass and if so why? no biggy lol. You just left me wondering wtf over here.
post #8769 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 01:38 PM

Shoot carbon fiber. You get to reuse the ammo without reloading.

post #8770 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 02:31 PM
INSTIGATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE

Send a message via AIM to WarMachine
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
Shoot carbon fiber. You get to reuse the ammo without reloading.

GHOSTRIDER SQUADRON XO
sig courtesy of UNCLE PETROL

"It is inconceivable that the framers - seeking to provide Americans with a means to resist tyrannical government - would fashion a right that can be exercised only in the context of a militia that is under government control." Robet A. Levy

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM]
post #8771 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 03:34 PM
22 is too many...

Jason do you load 12G? If you dont no worries but if so send me some numbers, looking to buy a decent ammount.

Sig by Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN Patton
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
post #8772 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 03:51 PM
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakw/aR1 View Post
Jason do you load 12G? If you dont no worries but if so send me some numbers, looking to buy a decent ammount.
Not yet. Soon though.

Quote:
Kirk is a total dick.
post #8773 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakw/aR1 View Post
Unless you really get into reloading shotshells, the cost savings just isn't there. Last time I reloaded, it was almost $1.00 more per box of 25 to reload with used shells than it was to go to Wal-Mart and buy the Federal multi-purpose amo pack of 100. That wasn't even counting the cost of the loader. Just materials.

Most times, friends of mine and I would just keep a watch on the ads and then go stock up.

post #8774 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 04:45 PM
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
Unless you really get into reloading shotshells, the cost savings just isn't there. Last time I reloaded, it was almost $1.00 more per box of 25 to reload with used shells than it was to go to Wal-Mart and buy the Federal multi-purpose amo pack of 100. That wasn't even counting the cost of the loader. Just materials.

Most times, friends of mine and I would just keep a watch on the ads and then go stock up.
I want the capability, not the savings.

Quote:
Kirk is a total dick.
post #8775 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 04:46 PM
22 is too many...

Roger that to the both of ya.

Sig by Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN Patton
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
post #8776 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Moderatorasfcvk

How would a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical stack up against any of the M4's as far as reliability, ability to chew thru a wide range of ammo quality, and overall durability?

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14/index.html

post #8777 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
How would a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical stack up against any of the M4's as far as reliability, ability to chew thru a wide range of ammo quality, and overall durability?

I've been seeing a lot of reviews on the lwrc m6a2 being able to eat the steel cased wolf ammo with no problems. If you can find the same of a mini -14 I'd say it's not a bad get for 1k less. I'm sure Meister has more info than I of course.

Sent from my Rooted S3 fool

GHOSTRIDER SQUADRON XO

"It is inconceivable that the framers - seeking to provide Americans with a means to resist tyrannical government - would fashion a right that can be exercised only in the context of a militia that is under government control." Robet A. Levy

post #8778 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 08:11 PM
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post

Ruger has 3 issues. 1 it's not very accurate, Softball sized groups at 100. 2 Mag changes are slower than an AR. 3 it can slam fire with an open bolt.

It's a a good sound rifle that will feed anything available. Great gun to throw in the truck for a rainy day. It will only feed Ruger mags reliably. Since old man ruger died, they have started making 30 rounders again.

Quote:
Kirk is a total dick.
post #8779 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Ruger has 3 issues. 1 it's not very accurate, Softball sized groups at 100. 2 Mag changes are slower than an AR. 3 it can slam fire with an open bolt.

It's a a good sound rifle that will feed anything available. Great gun to throw in the truck for a rainy day. It will only feed Ruger mags reliably. Since old man ruger died, they have started making 30 rounders again.
Right on time as always

GHOSTRIDER SQUADRON XO

post #8780 of 15162 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 PM
damn turkeys

Send a message via AIM to rorytsm Send a message via Yahoo to rorytsm
the mini-14 was a consideration of mine while looking for a backpacking rifle. i ended up going with a keltec su-16c with a red dot sight (no zoom) on it. 30 rd mags. baseball size groups at 200 yrds shooting off the built in bipod. i haven't had a jam yet, but i've only gone through 200 rds and lubed it once when i first bought it. so far i think it's pretty solid and for the price i picked it up for, no complaints at all other than the bipod legs are still a bitch to get undone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode