M1 A1 Abrams Build thread. - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

M1 A1 Abrams Build thread.

I posted a pic. and a few videos of my homemade tank and a few of you wanted a little more info. So here are some of the pics from the build.

But first I must give credit where credit is due. When I was thinking about building a tank I did a internet search and I found some youtube videos posted by a bloke in Australia, Dave Manson (a genius). A whole series on how to build a 2/5 scale tank. So it was after watching these videos that I was able to construct "The Tank" . Copied some of Dave's stuff and added some of my own.

There is even a forum, scaledtanks.com. for us weirdos.

The first things I made were the tracks and frame. The tracks are 3/4 plywood blocks. Painted black, bolted to a length of conveyor belt. The center guides are rectangle steel tubing and the track blocks are made of composite lumber. The ends of the track are hooked together with door hinges.

In this photo you can also see the plywood test sprocket.

The frame is just steel tubing.

The front idler adjustment. I added more bracing later.

"The Tank" Is powered by my kids Chinese 4-wheeler. 110cc 3speed with reverse. This is connected to a golf cart rear-end. This is a pic of the set-up. Here you can see the big sprocket on the rear-end. I later changed it out for a 16 tooth and its still too slow.

This shows the brake set up. They are not hydraulic. Just levers operated by cables. I had to modify the levers some-what.

Control levers.

My first test drive was with my 1/2" Dewalt drill, it moved, even over a 4x4.

A rear view of "The Tank". (That's a temporary gas tank !)

The suspension is just swing arms with scooter shocks. The wheels are off big residential garbage cans and dumpsters. The sprockets are made from PVC sheet plastic. As you can tell this is a budget build

I'll leave ya-all with that for now. The next installment will cover the build of the hull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 PM
I eat my R1

I dont understand....whats the end game? you gonna enter it in shows...or use it to scare cagers....doesn't seem like a practical way to spend a few G's. However the ambition to attempt such a feat is commendable.

post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 PM
damn turkeys

Send a message via AIM to rorytsm Send a message via Yahoo to rorytsm
i'm really surprised the treads are wood, i would have thought they were metal
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm an Englishman in WI.

Garage
Sweet.

post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 07:49 PM
22 is too many...

Looks more like an M60 suspension....by the way its M1A1 not M1 A1 sorry to nit-pic but the abrams is my lifes work. Neat build
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeze1305 View Post
I dont understand....whats the end game? you gonna enter it in shows...or use it to scare cagers....doesn't seem like a practical way to spend a few G's. However the ambition to attempt such a feat is commendable.
It's more or less a supremely badass toy "for his kids". There's another thread with the finished tank, driving it around the neighborhood and such, and lots of people wanted to see how he built it.

OP - roughly how much did you spend putting this thing together? It's kind of ridiculously awesome.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 PM
damn turkeys

Send a message via AIM to rorytsm Send a message via Yahoo to rorytsm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
It's more or less a supremely badass toy "for his kids". There's another thread with the finished tank, driving it around the neighborhood and such, and lots of people wanted to see how he built it.

OP - roughly how much did you spend putting this thing together? It's kind of ridiculously awesome.

i'd be willing to bet under 2g's
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Yes you are right it is more of a m60 suspension, Didn't have it in me to do all seven axles, or 14 if you count both sides. And its not long enough so I had to change the front of the tank. Looks more like a early soviet union tank from the front at least the hull.
Sorry about the title.

What's the end game ????? I have no idea. We live in a small town and I'll put it in a few parades. Play war with my kids. Mostly just to see if I could build it. Besides who doesn't want a tank.

So far I have spent about $1400. But that's because I already had a lot of the parts. Engine, rear-end, steel, axles etc. If I had to buy everything new I'd have spent a few grand more.

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Sup

Wow that's neat. How does it perform? Ride? Speed?

Sig by Petrol Spice
TEAM:
SO FAST SO CLEAN

Godspeed Chad "Gawarrior" Clifton - June 25, 2008
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Ride Fast or Ride Home!

Send a message via AIM to PimpClayR1
That's bad ass! I want one

Sig courtesy of Petrol_Spice
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Whats a chicken strip???

That is sick! What is the top of the tank made out of? My 5 year old son would be the happiest kid in the world if he had one of those... Awesome!
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 12:14 AM
para bellum

Send a message via AIM to Kangaroo Send a message via Yahoo to Kangaroo
this is so cool

Sig courtesy of SpidermanSS 9-15-09

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 12:20 AM
90% INDESTRUCTABLE

I love it dude. It's mad. I'd take the kids to school in it. Have you set the barrel up so you can do a butane fireball or something out of it? You could rock up outside the school, let off a big plume of flame, then let the kids climb out of the hatch!

FASTER AND FASTER 'TILL THE THRILL OF SPEED OVERCOMES THE FEAR OF DEATH

-HUNTER S. THOMPSON .................................................. ............................................sig by PETROL_SPICE
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 06:02 AM
For no ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipedadoo View Post
Yes you are right it is more of a m60 suspension, Didn't have it in me to do all seven axles, or 14 if you count both sides. And its not long enough so I had to change the front of the tank. Looks more like a early soviet union tank from the front at least the hull.
Sorry about the title.

What's the end game ????? I have no idea. We live in a small town and I'll put it in a few parades. Play war with my kids. Mostly just to see if I could build it. Besides who doesn't want a tank.

So far I have spent about $1400. But that's because I already had a lot of the parts. Engine, rear-end, steel, axles etc. If I had to buy everything new I'd have spent a few grand more.

how many inches of chobham in the front?

http://imgur.com/VJLeJyK
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 07:29 AM
22 is too many...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipedadoo View Post
Sorry about the title.

That is badass man! You should throw a cannon (potato gun) in that gun tube! Really cool build though!
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 07:37 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakw/aR1 View Post
Looks more like an M60 suspension....by the way its M1A1 not M1 A1 sorry to nit-pic but the abrams is my lifes work. Neat build
Definitely more M60ish. Still cool though!
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:49 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treemugger View Post
how many inches of chobham in the front?
What's chobham? It sounds like it'd make a delicious sandwich.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Moderatorasfcvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
What's chobham? It sounds like it'd make a delicious sandwich.
if you like eating armor it would be awesome!

post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 PM
para bellum

Send a message via AIM to Kangaroo Send a message via Yahoo to Kangaroo
Hey a techy question. Does anybody know if Chobham has a material lifespan? I saw on discovery channel how they're refurbing old M1 tanks.

Sig courtesy of SpidermanSS 9-15-09

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 12:15 PM
22 is too many...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo View Post
Hey a techy question. Does anybody know if Chobham has a material lifespan? I saw on discovery channel how they're refurbing old M1 tanks.
They are refurbing to update the current Armor force to a "more" digital platform, They add armor but no they do not have to replace it unless it has been exposed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode