Saving money for "doomsday" or natural disaster? - Page 6 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

View Poll Results: Do you feel you need to use your money for getting prepared?
Yes 33 67.35%
No 9 18.37%
Not sure 4 8.16%
The country is fine; no worries. 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
 
fjorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Da Northland. Yah.
Posts: 37,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterhound View Post
I already have all the things I could use for the Apocalypse. Thats why in the other thread I mentioned I that I had put a lot of my investments into precious metals. (not paper gold) actual gold you can touch. I also bet against the dollar and theres not much else I can do. I would invest everything into gold for the intrinsic value but that would be over the top at this point. Not to mention I have a great deal in some IRA's and the risk still isnt as bad as the penalties I would incur for early withdrawl
It's good if you have that capability and are capable of being prepared without fiscally killing yourself.

My point was more towards those whom are going crazy on spending without regard to finances and/or really don't have the money or capability to be prepared like many here in the thread are presuming. Kind of two part.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic6861_1.gif
  • RIP to our fallen brothers. You will all be missed and remembered:
    • crazyclimbr - March 4, 2007
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
fjorn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Moving sucks...
 
Moonlighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 10,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
True. But you would never cry about it cause you prefer the man meat and it is natural for you.

Go **** yourself, Frank, and ban me. You **** tards that run this site are ok with anyone that agrees with what you have to say, but let someone disagree and it's time to ban them. Just like last time when you got all pissy because someone posted something that you disagreed with and you banned them. What's the ****ing point of being a member if you can't call someone out when they post crap such as yourself?



Moonlighter is offline  
post #103 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM
................
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Harrington Maine
Posts: 4,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTON05R1 View Post
after Obama was re elected that was one thing I started looking into investing in actually gold, and other precious metals since it looks like the US dollar will go down the toilet in the future.
Yeah. I changed my investments around big time on Wednesday night. However Ive been investing in gold and silver for some time now. I figure even if the price does drop I will keep it as a long term investment much like the land we have purchased and the rentals we own. DO NOT buy paper gold. I defeats the entire purpose of owning it.
lobsterhound is offline  
post #104 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 PM
The Lead Farmer
 
Meister37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indy area
Posts: 25,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterhound View Post
Im really hoping people will be too occupied fighting with each other on land to bother worrying about things at sea.

I can always go a thousand miles out and just pass time. That would be out of the fuel range for most small vessels. Someone would have to be VERY determined to go after one boat to pursue


Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterhound View Post
I already have all the things I could use for the Apocalypse. Thats why in the other thread I mentioned I that I had put a lot of my investments into precious metals. (not paper gold) actual gold you can touch. I also bet against the dollar and theres not much else I can do. I would invest everything into gold for the intrinsic value but that would be over the top at this point. Not to mention I have a great deal in some IRA's and the risk still isnt as bad as the penalties I would incur for early withdrawl
You can pull the IRA's if you do it right. You have to start your own investment portfolio and get approval, but it is fairly easy to do. Just takes time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterhound View Post
Yeah. I changed my investments around big time on Wednesday night. However Ive been investing in gold and silver for some time now. I figure even if the price does drop I will keep it as a long term investment much like the land we have purchased and the rentals we own. DO NOT buy paper gold. I defeats the entire purpose of owning it.
Paper gold, the fact that people fall for that scam is hilarious. It's like the futures game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Kirk is a total dick.
Meister37 is offline  
post #105 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Living Life Like a Mad Man
 
ALTON05R1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 1,001
I had a buddy of mine invest in the iraqi dinar, counting on their economy to bounce back after the war. He ended up losing almost 2k, in that scam.


Sig by the great Uncle P
ALTON05R1 is offline  
post #106 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 06:41 PM
................
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Harrington Maine
Posts: 4,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post


You can pull the IRA's if you do it right. You have to start your own investment portfolio and get approval, but it is fairly easy to do. Just takes time.

Paper gold, the fact that people fall for that scam is hilarious. It's like the futures game.
Yeah I knew there were some ways around it but hadn't look into it much. I do have my own investment portfolio. Along with the IRA's and some mutual funds, yada yada. Basically a wide spread investment scheme. I put enuff in gold and land now that I figure the IRA's would be a loss I could live. I dont want to loose anything Ive worked for but it will be impossible to not take a hit of some sort if things go bad. I suppose the deeds to land would be worthless as well but I guess I have no choice but go the course.
lobsterhound is offline  
post #107 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 PM
The Lead Farmer
 
Meister37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indy area
Posts: 25,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterhound View Post
Yeah I knew there were some ways around it but hadn't look into it much. I do have my own investment portfolio. Along with the IRA's and some mutual funds, yada yada. Basically a wide spread investment scheme. I put enuff in gold and land now that I figure the IRA's would be a loss I could live. I dont want to loose anything Ive worked for but it will be impossible to not take a hit of some sort if things go bad. I suppose the deeds to land would be worthless as well but I guess I have no choice but go the course.
You become your own asset manager, you never get the money itself, but anything you purchase as an investment is good to go. Guns are a great investment, especially title 2 firearms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Kirk is a total dick.
Meister37 is offline  
post #108 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Seņor Citizen
 
Petrol_Spice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Pimptopia
Posts: 20,220
Guns, Ammo, Jerky, Water and butchery and equipment to make a log cabin. Money wont help if all hell breaks loose not if it's every man for himself, deathmatch style. Have enough .45ACP and 7.62NATO to fill the back of an F350. Shoot anyone that looks at you.

The way I see it. A suppressed .45, a suppressed AR and something bolt action to reach out and kill shit is all you'd need. Why suppressed? If you need the answer you're gon' die so you don't need the answer...

Being an Australian, I have my Hoyt compound bow and that's it. So if shit kicks off I'm getting the fu*k out of the city.





Tact was created by those lacking the mental dexterity for sarcasm. ~ Petrol_Spice



Petrol_Spice is offline  
post #109 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 PM
The south roads are best roads
 
BeaverPuncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Nashville,Tn
Posts: 19,289
Better watch out for those sneaky drop bears then.


SIG courtesy of the awesome petrol spice
BeaverPuncher is offline  
post #110 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 11:22 PM
The Lead Farmer
 
Meister37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indy area
Posts: 25,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol_Spice View Post
Guns, Ammo, Jerky, Water and butchery and equipment to make a log cabin. Money wont help if all hell breaks loose not if it's every man for himself, deathmatch style. Have enough .45ACP and 7.62NATO to fill the back of an F350. Shoot anyone that looks at you.

The way I see it. A suppressed .45, a suppressed AR and something bolt action to reach out and kill shit is all you'd need. Why suppressed? If you need the answer you're gon' die so you don't need the answer...

Being an Australian, I have my Hoyt compound bow and that's it. So if shit kicks off I'm getting the fu*k out of the city.
I gotsa suppressed Glock fo ya foo! Jump the pond and lets go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Kirk is a total dick.
Meister37 is offline  
post #111 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Seņor Citizen
 
Petrol_Spice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Pimptopia
Posts: 20,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
I gotsa suppressed Glock fo ya foo! Jump the pond and lets go!
I'll bring the beer!





Tact was created by those lacking the mental dexterity for sarcasm. ~ Petrol_Spice



Petrol_Spice is offline  
post #112 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 11:43 PM
The Lead Farmer
 
Meister37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indy area
Posts: 25,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol_Spice View Post
I'll bring the beer!
Screw that, we can drop some glasses of single malt and get to splittin wigs proper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Kirk is a total dick.
Meister37 is offline  
post #113 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Seņor Citizen
 
Petrol_Spice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Pimptopia
Posts: 20,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Screw that, we can drop some glasses of single malt and get to splittin wigs proper!
You Sir, have yourself a plan.






Tact was created by those lacking the mental dexterity for sarcasm. ~ Petrol_Spice



Petrol_Spice is offline  
post #114 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 05:51 AM
fast toys arent just 4 boys
 
BrnEyzR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,442
We are set on guns and ammo, but that's it.

"The reason I do it is because if you do it wrong, it will kill you. If you think it's too dangerous then go home and cut your lawn and leave us to it"

~ Guy Martin



Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
It's my fault.

Miss you Pierre
Much love Andre
58
BrnEyzR1 is offline  
post #115 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 06:06 AM
Moving sucks...
 
Moonlighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 10,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnEyzR1 View Post
We are set on guns and ammo, but that's it.

Sounds like a good start.


I just hope that you didn't store the ammo where you put your bike key.



Moonlighter is offline  
post #116 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
 
fjorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Da Northland. Yah.
Posts: 37,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
I just hope that you didn't store the ammo where you put your bike key.





http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic6861_1.gif
  • RIP to our fallen brothers. You will all be missed and remembered:
    • crazyclimbr - March 4, 2007
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011

Last edited by fjorn; 11-10-2012 at 06:44 AM.
fjorn is offline  
post #117 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 AM
STFU and ride!!
 
2WEELFERRUM04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 4,958
WAAAHAHAHAHA @ the squirrel and Kim of course

guns and ammo are priority
the rest can be had easier

hmmmmm i need more guns



Last edited by 2WEELFERRUM04; 11-10-2012 at 07:50 AM.
2WEELFERRUM04 is offline  
post #118 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 07:46 AM
The south roads are best roads
 
BeaverPuncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Nashville,Tn
Posts: 19,289
This is something most people don't account for fully is clothes. You can make it through the summer months in most of the country fairly easy with light stuff but winter and spring is a different story. Then the most important of those is shoes . A very good pair of comfortable shoes that will last a good bit should be thirdon then list. If your feet are not comfortable then you will not be as productive or efficient.


SIG courtesy of the awesome petrol spice
BeaverPuncher is offline  
post #119 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Born Again Patriot
 
Creeping Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: U.S.S.A.
Posts: 4,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Great thing about boats is, they are on water. Bullets will skip and they will hit sooner or later.
I never thought about bullets skipping across water, interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post


SIG courtesy of Petrol Spice in care of InkedR1Pilot
Thanks Uncle P!

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli #58 01/20/87 ~ 10/23/11
R.I.P Andre (Twistgrip)
Ride On Brothers...
Creeping Death is offline  
post #120 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Seņor Citizen
 
Petrol_Spice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Pimptopia
Posts: 20,220
The way I seer it you either book out into the hills or nick a boat, a big one, and piss off to Australia or Europe if it got really bad.





Tact was created by those lacking the mental dexterity for sarcasm. ~ Petrol_Spice



Petrol_Spice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome