Gun control and how the US stacks up - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 21,256
Gun control and how the US stacks up

Found this little gem. Some good statistics

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wo...-of-the-world/

Quote:
Here’s how U.S. gun violence compares with the rest of the world
By Olga Khazan, Published: DECEMBER 14, 4:02 PM ET
Aa
In the wake of Friday’s deadly shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary school in Newtown, Conn., gun-control advocates have taken to social media to call for more stringent firearm restrictions.

I am ashamed to be an American today. I am ashamed that I did not protect the children of my country. We and @whitehouse must #enditnow

-- Naomi Hart (@naomihart) December 14, 2012

The United States has notoriously liberal gun control laws, and it has the highest rate of gun ownership in the world — an average of 88 per 100 people, according to a 2007 Small Arms Survey.

These maps, put together by the Guardian’s Simon Rogers, reveal how we compare with the world:


Gun ownership rate. (Screenshot: The Guardian)

But countries with the most guns don’t necessarily have the most gun-related homicides. The world’s crime figures come from the UNODC annual crime survey, and while it does not include key nations, such as Russia, China and Afghanistan, it does include most other developed countries.


Homicides by firearm per 100,000 people. Screenshot: The Guardian

The dubious distinction of having the most gun violence goes to Honduras, at 68.43 homicides by firearm per 100,000 people, even though it only has 6.2 firearms per 100 people. Other parts of South America and South Africa also rank highly, while the United States is somewhere near the mid-range. Still, America sees far more gun violence than countries in Europe, and Canada, India and Australia, which is perhaps how it gets its bloody reputation among comparatively peaceful nations.

When a person kills another in the United States, though, he or she generally uses a gun: 60 percent of U.S. homicides occur using a firearm, which is the 26th-highest rate in the world. (In other gun-permeated countries, such as Finland (45.3 guns per person), only about 19 percent of homicides involve a firearm.

Guns don’t always kill people, it seems, but they certainly play a role.



Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: in the dirt
Posts: 12,634
gun control dont mean shit. gun control=drug control
ss55539 is offline  
post #3 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Gilmour
 
XFelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 1,164
If anybody thinks that a law banning all guns tomorrow will work - I have a bridge for sale. It's time to arm and teach the school secretary, librarian and teachers to use a weapon to protect our kids like the Israelis do in their schools where there are NO school massacres like here. A locked glass door and hiding are not the way to protect our kids or anyone. Also, parents need to get a brain and not let their weapons be so easily obtained by their mentally deranged kids, brother, sister and so on and so on. GET REAL! I feel so bad for those kids, teachers and families. I can't remember feeling this sad in my life.


Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol



Pain is weakness leaving the body
XFelon is offline  
post #4 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFelon View Post
I can't remember feeling this sad in my life.
I have actually lost sleep over something like this for the first time in 11 years. Shit just ain't right.
Rex1585 is offline  
post #5 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: in the dirt
Posts: 12,634
well then it may really disturb you that im taking my 4 yr old an 7 yr old shooting tomorrow, my girl, 7, does real well with a .357
ss55539 is offline  
post #6 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 01:15 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
mr_get_iton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ft bragg, nc
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss55539 View Post
well then it may really disturb you that im taking my 4 yr old an 7 yr old shooting tomorrow, my girl, 7, does real well with a .357
I definitely find that disturbing! MORE GUN CONTROL
mr_get_iton is offline  
post #7 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 21,256
The point was made that the media puts these sick A-holes on a pedestal and people think it's a new high score or something.

The safest way to protect the schools is set them up to be ready for a terrorist attack.

Also, I'll share a disturbing story with you.

Friday, December 14th, at 2:10pm I was scheduled to go to Gotha Middle School in Windermere Fl. Yes the same city all the rich people live like tiger woods and so on. Gotha middle had added a green house to their ag department, and my company installed a gas heater inside the house. My job was to install an automatic safety shutoff and start up the unit for safety checking.

Now the crazy part. I get to the school, kids are outside running the track and all that for recess. I pull up, walk onto the campus, make my way to the green house, install and safety check, walk all the way across the property to turn the gas meter on (easily 500ft away) walk all the way back to the green house. The walks I made were in between buildings and portables. After I started up the greenhouse I had to certify the appliances in the schools kitchen and the water heaters, along with the swamp coolers on the roof. All of my tasks ended up taking just over two hours. When I started everyone was in class, when I finished school had ended and all the kids were walking home/to the bus.

Not once was I stopped by an adult and asked what I was doing. I entered the kitchen without issue. The cooks never hesitated to ask who I was. I had to walk up to someone and introduce myself. I was able to acess the roof hatch, which had no lock. The entire time i was there I was messing with flammable material, and not a single person acknowledge my existence.

I had direct acess to the kids when they were leaving home (hundreds of kids), to their food in the kitchen, to the natural gas that supplied the entire school, and to a tactical spot on the roof. Never was accounted for and never required to check in. I have a badge that is required by Florida law that we have to obtain to be on any school grounds in the state, but I purposely left it in my truck to see what would happen.


This story is 100% true. Tell me what's wrong with that situation....

Ps: I stopped a school official before I left and let them know everything that happened, and sent an email to the school Friday night addressing their atrocious school security.

Last edited by Gearheaded; 12-16-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Gearheaded is offline  
post #8 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 AM
Moderator Dictator
 
MANOWAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 10,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
The point was made that the media puts these sick A-holes on a pedestal and people think it's a new high score or something.

The safest way to protect the schools is set them up to be ready for a terrorist attack.

Also, I'll share a disturbing story with you.

Friday, December 14th, at 2:10pm I was scheduled to go to Gotha Middle School in Windermere Fl. Yes the same city all the rich people live like tiger woods and so on. Gotha middle had added a green house to their ag department, and my company installed a gas heater inside the house. My job was to install an automatic safety shutoff and start up the unit for safety checking.

Now the crazy part. I get to the school, kids are outside running the track and all that for recess. I pull up, walk onto the campus, make my way to the green house, install and safety check, walk all the way across the property to turn the gas meter on (easily 500ft away) walk all the way back to the green house. The walks I made were in between buildings and portables. After I started up the greenhouse I had to certify the appliances in the schools kitchen and the water heaters, along with the swamp coolers on the roof. All of my tasks ended up taking just over two hours. When I started everyone was in class, when I finished school had ended and all the kids were walking home/to the bus.

Not once was I stopped by an adult and asked what I was doing. I entered the kitchen without issue. The cooks never hesitated to ask who I was. I had to walk up to someone and introduce myself. I was able to acess the roof hatch, which had no lock. The entire time i was there I was messing with flammable material, and not a single person acknowledge my existence.

I had direct acess to the kids when they were leaving home (hundreds of kids), to their food in the kitchen, to the natural gas that supplied the entire school, and to a tactical spot on the roof. Never was accounted for and never required to check in. I have a badge that is required by Florida law that we have to obtain to be on any school grounds in the state, but I purposely left it in my truck to see what would happen.


This story is 100% true. Tell me what's wrong with that situation....

Ps: I stopped a school official before I left and let them know everything that happened, and sent an email to the school Friday night addressing their atrocious school security.
I do the same thing about once a week. Some schools I go in know me personally because I'm their alarm/fire guy and they see me all the time. Some just see my truck or uniform and I go on my way. I've NEVER been asked to show ID and been told to wait while they call my company to see if I'm supposed to be there.

I usually check in with engineering and the office anyway just in case I set the alarm off but they'd never notice if I didn't.



PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
MANOWAR is online now  
post #9 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 21,256
From now on when I enter a school, I'll never carry my security badge on me where it's visible. I want people to ask for it.

The school faculty is responsible for the safety of our kids, and no one is doing their god damn job.

That's what's wrong with this school shooting issue. How many faculty members did this dick bag walk by and never once was stopped and asked who he was. I bet people seen a stranger walking by and never said anything.

It shouldn't take a fvcking tragedy to make people use awareness!!



Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline  
post #10 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Track time :flex:
 
MaRce1o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mASS
Posts: 14,445
Just like inked said. Security might had helped, but it wouldn't had done shit in this case, especially because if there was a guard or any security personnel in the school chances are very good that they would not have a firearm



CCS #171

2014 NE Middleweight SuperSport Champion
2014 NE Middleweight SuperBike Champion


Sponsored by:
-J&G Performance 781-871-1404
-DanQ Suspensions
-Dunlop
-Vortex
-Race Tech Suspensions

What's the right tire for YOUR bike?
MaRce1o is offline  
post #11 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Rebel w/ a Cause
 
JDollaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Yorkistan
Posts: 21,161
+1 on the issue of mentally Ill people obtaining these firearms and ammo that should be locked up properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss55539 View Post
well then it may really disturb you that im taking my 4 yr old an 7 yr old shooting tomorrow, my girl, 7, does real well with a .357
Right on Bro.. can't wait till mines Of age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_get_iton View Post
I definitely find that disturbing! MORE GUN CONTROL
Stfu .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
That's what's wrong with this school shooting issue. How many faculty members did this dick bag walk by and never once was stopped and asked who he was. I bet people seen a stranger walking by and never said anything.

It shouldn't take a fvcking tragedy to make people use awareness!!
Did you get an email response back from them? If so please share here.

R1-013 Lucky 13th Squadron: NY!

Sig Provided by : The Artist formerly know as Petrol !
JDollaz is offline  
post #12 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Black on Black
 
Phunkzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chandler AZ
Posts: 98
a good video for thought
Phunkzilla is offline  
post #13 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 21,256
No response yet. I'm sure It won't be read until monday



Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline  
post #14 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 08:42 AM
................
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Harrington Maine
Posts: 4,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkzilla View Post
Anyone with a brain is aware of the consequences of a gun ban. Undoubtedly there are a bunch of idiots who feel banning them will make things safer. However, the major push to ban guns is just another liberal attempt to gain as much power as possible. Much like obamacare which has nothing to do with healthcare. For 1/100th the cost of obamacare the US could buy insurance from private companies for all 40 million or so uninsured that want it. It is just a way to control every single aspect of someones life. Now the move to disarm which ensures no way to fight back. Its almost as if the forefathers saw this coming huh?
lobsterhound is offline  
post #15 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Moderatorasfcvk
 
KMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Huntsvegas
Posts: 44,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkedR1Pilot View Post
everyone knew this kid... his mother worked at the school... it was someone they recognized.... security wouldnt have helped a damn bit... not when its someone you know
From what I've read this morning, the mom has never had any affiliation with the school other than being the mother of the killer, who did attend that school as a kid.



I mentioned in the other thread that my kids go to a school where a student murdered another student a couple years ago, and now that the admins have all responded with improved policies and plans I can still walk in the school at any time during the day and do the same thing that happened in Conn. They've improved nothing. The big issue here is very basic: The State/gov't does not provide any security at schools, yet they prohibit the people there from providing their own. This issue, I would imagine, is accelerating towards being concluded at the Supreme Court. It needs to get there faster. It is obvious that politicians and bureaucrats are incapable of handling it with any form of competency. There is a fallacy among these idiots that there is some catch-all legislation that will stop this. There is not. There never will be. There will ALWAYS be somebody with a will to do evil. All you can do is identify it if you can, act on it to prevent it, or limit the severity when it happens. A quarter and banning guns will get you a phone call, IF you make it to the phone.

KMac is offline  
post #16 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 21,256
That video is awesome, thanks for posting it..

What's your take on it knackers??

Once again Kmac is spot on. The only thing I disagree with you is your hate towards GM



Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline  
post #17 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 AM
I RACE U LOSE
 
quick kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philly now Langhorne Pa.
Posts: 3,915
Send a message via Yahoo to quick kurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkzilla View Post
This needs to be broadcasted on the "news" , won't happen but it should. My g/f will post this to facebook, I'm curious as to the responses she'll get. Maybe some will "wake up and smell the coffee", Thanks for posting this !

'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline  
post #18 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 AM
INSTIGATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
 
WarMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pflugerville, TEXAS
Posts: 21,982
Send a message via AIM to WarMachine
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick kurt View Post
This needs to be broadcasted on the "news" , won't happen but it should. My g/f will post this to facebook, I'm curious as to the responses she'll get. Maybe some will "wake up and smell the coffee", Thanks for posting this !
I posted it to fb as well


GHOSTRIDER SQUADRON XO
sig courtesy of UNCLE PETROL


"It is inconceivable that the framers - seeking to provide Americans with a means to resist tyrannical government - would fashion a right that can be exercised only in the context of a militia that is under government control." Robet A. Levy

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM]
WarMachine is online now  
post #19 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 21,256
Posting it at well



Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline  
post #20 of 3247 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 AM
my girlfriend likes girls
 
InkedR1Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,598
Send a message via Yahoo to InkedR1Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
From what I've read this morning, the mom has never had any affiliation with the school other than being the mother of the killer, who did attend that school as a kid.
.
shit man i think youre right... deleted


sig by petrol

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
RAMPAGE RACING




InkedR1Pilot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome