I did the right thing, right? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
I did the right thing, right?

So my daily commute in Phx, about 5 min after stopping on the shoulder to make sure a rider pulled over was OK I hit some more traffic. When the traffic comes to a complete stop I slow down to idle in first which everyone knows is between 10-13mph... I then proceed to lane split as I always do very slowly and carefully, well traffic starts moving again so I filter back in the HOV lane with plenty of room. I'm cruising a little ways and this mini van is ON MY ASS hard, traffic is still going and I turn my entire body around and look at the mini van to basically say back the hell off, they start to back off so I'm chill... Traffic starts to stop but not fully, I'm still cruising about 15 mph and this asshole pulls up right next to me...

I'm furious at this point, I had to control myself I was inches away of taking off their passenger mirror with my new scorpion sg3's.... I rev bomb it to try to get their attention, like wtf, doesn't even look at me, like I'm not even there... We are still moving BTW but slowing down and didn't want to hit the mirror and lose balance. Traffic then stops I drop the clutch and lane split again get the hell away from them...

Not a quarter mile ahead was a accident and I thought about pulling over and mentioning to the cops about this ****er's antics threatening me with their vehicle... I thought I don't have a gopro it's my word against theirs... Traffic opens up and I do what motorcycles do best getting the heck out of there... Well the rest of the way home I'm furious, should I of made a physical reminder to this asshat to not threaten motorcycles with their cars. The entire way I'm looking to see if they caught up... They never did(of course)... So I'm contemplating, assessing, reflecting, am I somehow in the wrong? Why did karma turn out that way, minutes ago i was just was a good biker making sure another rider was ok...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:30 PM
Venom X/O

If lane splitting is legal in your state then yea, you're right.

If it is not legal, then you were being an ass and they were being an ass. Basically sums it up.
blackraizo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R1-016 Venom Squadron
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
If lane splitting is legal in your state then yea, you're right.

If it is not legal, then you were being an ass and they were being an ass. Basically sums it up.
Yeah... Legal < alive imo. I speed faster than 65mph too along with 99% of the cagers. Mobility and acceleration are our strengths I feel not moving leaves riders at risk. I did consider that they were upset because their cage can't lane split but even if I did lane split illegally that condones someone to threaten my life? I split every day because too many riders are rear ended on freeways here plus 120 degrees in the summer(when that hits) is no beuno dead still for 30 min on myself and the bike. I appreciate your honesty and will I reflect on it not just throw it to the wind. Thank you.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Venom X/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamp View Post
Yeah... Legal < alive imo. I speed faster than 65mph too along with 99% of the cagers. Mobility and acceleration are our strengths I feel not moving leaves riders at risk. I did consider that they were upset because their cage can't lane split but even if I did lane split illegally that condones someone to threaten my life? I split every day because too many riders are rear ended on freeways here plus 120 degrees in the summer(when that hits) is no beuno dead still for 30 min on myself and the bike. I appreciate your honesty and will I reflect on it not just throw it to the wind. Thank you.

Can you take other routes? When you lane split do you ride the center, or the outside of outside lanes?

Is a motorcycle your only means of transportation?

There are many variables that can be removed from the situation competely.

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squadron
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:33 PM
Venom X/O

But to answer your original question; you asked if you did the right thing.

The answer is no.

Doesn't make the other person right either, nor condone their behavior, but you were still wrong.

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squadron
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
Can you take other routes? When you lane split do you ride the center, or the outside of outside lanes?

Is a motorcycle your only means of transportation?

There are many variables that can be removed from the situation competely.
Other routes are worse and\or take longer I'm on the road 50min to 1 hour 15 min one way every day with this route. I split between the HOV (lane 2+ or motorcycle only)and the "fast" lane, and truthfully unless traffic is dead stopped I hug the right side of the HOV and don't split moving traffic. Motorcycle is my daily no other source, my new VW was part of the TDI recall and I was a lemon so VW bought it back. I've riding like this(length and time) for YEARS, sense college, never a dropped bike or had a accident. I hate to say I'm doing something right by my technique, I put over 70k miles on my 04 zx6rr and probably 20k to 30k on my 80's Suzuki gs650.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Tax return I plan to get a truck but the bike will still be my majority source, probably will take the truck when it rains or such here in the desert but the fuel cost will keep me from doing that often.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:48 PM
kickin' at the darkness

I do not commute nor ride in heavy traffic areas, ie anywhere in the lower mainland Vancouver i try to avoid. for all reasons posted above.

other than that if some idiot is being an asshat i pull some quick moves and disappear from their view long enough to make them
feel like gods.. then i slowly roll up to them as they are stopped and tap on their window with my gauntlet gloves.

tap tap, Knuckle shell of Carbon-Aramid-Kohlehybrid covered with titanium

Usually this gets their attention, i rarely have to pop open my visor but usually do enough so they can see my eyes.

ASSHOLE, they can read across my lips.

try not let it get to you, control your temper. Yes i would have parked my bike and talked to the copper, with license plate # on hand.

most times making it home alive trumps being right
gkamp likes this.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,

Last edited by bacchus40; 02-15-2017 at 09:07 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:10 PM
Klaus Von Slowpoke

You're on a motorcycle, in traffic with cars. Even if you're right, you lose.
Discretion is the better part of valor. You can't afford to get emotional in traffic.

That's all I got, I'll catch up after another cocktail...
iamzombie, RichRaven05 and gkamp like this.

Do you have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:38 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Surprised youre traveling at such a pace to where a cager can be close to you for that long...LOL. but over all, glad your okay tho.
gkamp likes this.

" Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...That's what gets you" - Clarkson
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:18 AM
Horsepower whisperer

Garage
I'm so glad that I work and live north of the cities.

I just have to deal with dodging deer...
gkamp likes this.

2016 BMW S1000RR Premium (Dream bike)
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR (Sex machine)
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod Street Rod (Only HD that handles)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My 3rd R1)
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:46 AM
Who put that there??

Me personally, when on a bike, get away. Let it go! life is too short. You get away and you are alive.
There are and will always be ahole's out there. They are out there for no reason looking for a excuse to be an ahole.
You just never know what a moron will do these days.

Now if this happens and its the same guy doing it day after day then report him and try and get evidence.
eugensc, Sammo115 and gkamp like this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Thank you everyone for the feedback, I really try to make a good name for motorcyclists and specifically sportbike riders but survivability is my #1. Just was a crazy day, fiancée's sister passed away, getting super stressed and busy at work then this happened.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:07 AM
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

I've been riding a very long time on mostly sport bikes but also other bikes that don't handle as well as an R1. My rule of thumb has always been, stay ahead of the traffic or any vehicle next to you by traveling at a faster pace so you can make the 1st move and have control of the situation. We don't have lane splitting here in NY, unfortunately, so I cant comment on that because I don't do it. Good luck and stay safe, lots of good advice on this thread!

Lucky 13 Squadron

Last edited by cyclepsycho7; 02-16-2017 at 06:11 AM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:22 AM
Come Fly with me

Garage
I think you did the right thing man, honestly that whole situation could have easily became very dangerous and costly.
gkamp likes this.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:00 AM
CCS #16

Don't let stuff like that get to you. Just get away from the situation ASAP. You will never win against a four-wheeled vehicle, it will not end well.
gkamp likes this.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepsycho7 View Post
I've been riding a very long time on mostly sport bikes but also other bikes that don't handle as well as an R1. My rule of thumb has always been, stay ahead of the traffic or any vehicle next to you by traveling at a faster pace so you can make the 1st move and have control of the situation. We don't have lane splitting here in NY, unfortunately, so I cant comment on that because I don't do it. Good luck and stay safe, lots of good advice on this thread!
My same tactics as well ... When I commute home it's fairly decent movement but sometimes when a accident happens it's stopped. Hate being a sitting duck.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neocryte View Post
Don't let stuff like that get to you. Just get away from the situation ASAP. You will never win against a four-wheeled vehicle, it will not end well.
Yeah, that's what occurred, just was so angry that they were threatening me like that

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thvision View Post
I think you did the right thing man, honestly that whole situation could have easily became very dangerous and costly.
Yeah I totally agree... Thank you

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:29 AM
Take the red pill

Commuting on a motorcycle is not worth it. With so many smartphone drivers, not worth the risk any longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode