Concealed carry - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Garage
Concealed carry

Curious what those who carry do with their firearms? Typically it's in a tank bag, but I don't always want a tank bag. Yesterday, I wore it at 5oclock but it hangs out of my jacket. We are open carry so no big deal. But If I went down, I don't think I'd be happy. And it might go off. But I want it quickly accessible if I needed it. Any input? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:25 PM
My R1 eats me.

Going to depend on what you carry lol
I carry a Bersa Thunder 380... tucks right in very securely w/ iwb holster.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sig p238

Just a little .380. Love the gun. Rides well IWB. Just thinking if you go down and are sliding on your hip..... no good. It's a 1911 style so I'm always cocked and locked. But riding seems a little different.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:37 PM
My R1 eats me.

Nice shooter... But riding, I wouldnt do cocked and locked lol well with the 1911 style safety that thing has.
Just have to train yourself, when riding- rack the slide, anything else- forget abouuuut it
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Chillin'

Garage
What do you mean it might go off? Is it a revolver?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No. Semi auto. But "cocked and locked" or in "first position" so the hammer is back, round in the chamber. If I somehow hit the hammer just right or something, and with enough force to shear the pin, the hammer could hit the primer. Hence going off. Pretty much a perfect storm and probably not likely, but still something to consider. The way the gun is designed, when the safety is on ,there is a pin that goes across and keeps hammer from coming down. So virtually impossible to go off accidentally. BuT I've read that enough blunt force to the hammer could potentially make it go off. Prob best to just leave on hip but have to slide action back to chamber a round. Takes an extra step but safer while on the bike. I just don't like hanging how I Carry. Practice and consistency with how you carry makes you much safer and prepared in my opinion.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:13 PM
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post
What do you mean it might go off? Is it a revolver?
Chances of you tumbling and sliding around when you go down... are pretty up there... and with a 1911 style shooter that the P238 is.. I would REALLY be worried about that safety sliding down, and being that it doesnt have the grip safety as a 1911 does.. yeaahhh not good.
CJx3 likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Agreed.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:31 PM
Chillin'

Garage
I was talking without a round in the chamber.

I carry weapons and they get handled roughly all the time and they don't discharge when a round isn't in the chamber.

Military. I've probably carried a lot more weapons than most poeple on this forum. Not all but most.

I'm getting off topic. Carry on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by One2; 06-17-2017 at 06:34 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah. If I go without a round in the chamber, it's no big deal. Would just have to slide back and be able to fire. It's just not how I normally carry is all. And in my opinion not how I'd like to carry. But haven't felt safe riding my typical way so just will have to vary my style while riding.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:18 PM
I am anger under pressure

I use the Kangaroo carry holster. Not good for a fast draw on a bike but keeps the gun tight against my chest.

https://www.kangaroocarry.com/produc...dard-3-holster
CJx3 likes this.

PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:23 PM
wanna B on the Track

Send a message via AIM to castrolr1
if you have a jacket on why not a shoulder harness..??

"I can't wait till I'm old enough to feel ways about things" (Phillip J. Fry)
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nothin against shoulder harness. Just don't have one. Hence the asking of what people use. I would like a nice shoulder harness

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:29 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Don't go down? Or don't ride locked and cocked. Or don't carry a single action. Or just don't carry and stay away from dark alleys.

YouTube Channel

Follow me on Instagram: @red_man_racing

Grateful for the assistance and support of my family and friends. But sometimes the line is blurred: meet Banky
My friend and sponsor.

Track Ambassador

Sponsored Rider

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by APO2112 View Post
Don't go down? Or don't ride locked and cocked. Or don't carry a single action. Or just don't carry and stay away from dark alleys.

Sure. Would love to not go down. But I'm realistic. And it's a possibility. Been riding long enough to not be that naive. At this point leaving it "unchambered" is my quickest/cheapest option. But was just looking for input of how people carry. And people break into homes/cars etc in broad day light. Someone wants to come a knocking, I plan on being prepared

Yautja likes this.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:18 PM
Plastic surgery pending

Where the hell do you live???
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm in Tacoma Wa. Major city. Not like it's crazy but I like to know I'm protected.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:00 AM
O Rly? O.O

I used to carry when I rode but had a problem with my jacket riding up and exposing my gun that was IWB. We are an open carry state as well, so no legal problems from it being exposed.
My fear was that to the "average civilian" it would appear that I just had a gun stuffed in my waistband without a holster ect. ect. (you know the typical gangster way). I didn't want to be harassed by the local PD for scaring a soccer mom that called me in so I made the decision to stop carrying while I ride.

I typically don't ride at night and try to stay away from riding in the city so I have minimized my risk of needing to carry. I think a nice shoulder holster would be nice though.
CJx3 likes this.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:35 AM
Plastic surgery pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx3 View Post
I'm in Tacoma Wa. Major city. Not like it's crazy but I like to know I'm protected.

Makes sense...I've been to the area.
CJx3 likes this.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:53 AM
Moderatorasfcvk

Your only issue is your insistence on carrying cocked and locked on a motorcycle. I really don't see the need for it while riding. However, if you do it to maintain consistency with all the other times you carry, then I would suggest getting used to and carrying in another condition or selecting a different pistol to carry.
CJx3 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37
Frank and I are Bag of Dicks twins!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode