Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

The Bike Trailer, Transportation & Equipment Thread

22K views 125 replies 40 participants last post by  Obijack 
#1 ·
I just went through 10 pages of threads and didn't see anything all too relative so I wanted to create a thread that would be of some importance to those of us that have to or prefer to haul our bikes to a good riding spot or a trackday. We have plenty of members here that could chime in with pictures and information on what they use or what they've seen others use such as actual transportation methods and/or the equipment that is used at these events such as tire changers/balancers, storage, tool box assortments, restraints, etc... I'm looking to sell my car hauler and buy a more useful and smaller enclosed trailer to start doing trackdays next year and want to get an early start on it this year if possible. What say you? :epimp

Btw, I didn't know where to place this thread so mods feel free to move to the appropriate section if you must.

Reactions: StraightSuccess
#5 ·
Ok so does anyone have the hookup on a friend or acquaintance that might build enclosed trailers? There are tons of dealers around me, but I know they're getting them wholesale from a manufacturer and having their own brand put on them while driving about a 40% markup. I'm trying to avoid that.

#6 · (Edited)
Me and a buddy have talked about using a small horse trailer to load up bikes/tools. Which if you think about it, would probably be cheaper than buying a new/used enclosed trailer. You could find a used horse trailer on craigslist for cheap and with a little fab work could have a nice little track trailer. :dunno

From what I have seen a two horse trailer can fit 2 bikes comfortably. Just a thought. Good luck with your search though buddy! :yesnod

#8 ·
It all depends on what you want to accomplish. Around here, I can get my hands on darn near new 8x12 enclosed trailers for about $2500. That should do everything you want it to do and some.

#22 ·
Here's my setup for the track..

Had an all aluminum open trailer before, but the enclosed to me was a better option-esp if I get to the track the day b4-I can leave it locked up and secure at the track or have the option of sleeping in it-but that's my project for this winter-insulation, electric and putting in an A/C...

#31 ·
my titan under tow mode pulls it like its not even there, uphill or downhill-no issues! I have no brake controller-since the trailer, imo-isnt big enough for one and im really just hauling one bike with all my gear most of the time. Under heavy braking-stops on a dime-both trailer and truck!! One investment I did make was Goodridge Stainless Steel Lines for my truck-that I still have to put on :lol
as for fuel-under tow mode and 4th gear-I can make a whole tank last and then some from NJMP to Queens, NY

#32 · (Edited)
use a folding trailer/pit bull restraints for short jaunts and track weekends and cali canyon trips i use my 36ft living quarters trailer...you never know who you will meet when you camping near palamar mtn in cali!...knew something was up when i tried to keep up with this guy down the mtn!managed to talk to hayes for a min and snap this pict...dont know who the people are though...lol

Attachments

#34 · (Edited)
Here's my setup. Photos are of the previous van. But, current van is setup similarly.

Do I ever miss my 450F :cryin

It can haul two sportbikes and tons of gear inside it too:

Here's what it looks like without any bikes in there:

Weatherguard toolchest with a custom made CCR Sport Bed Buddy:

#35 ·
Here's my setup. Photos are of the previous van. But, current van is setup similarly.

Do I ever miss my 450F :cryin

It can haul two sportbikes and tons of gear inside it too:

Here's what it looks like without any bikes in there:

Weatherguard toolchest with a custom made CCR Sport Bed Buddy:
This is EXACTLY what I considered doing at one point, but I didn't think I'd be able to fit two bikes in there. You sir just helped me out a LOTTT. :bow

#36 · (Edited)
Before I bought my van, I had an open sided 5x8 trailer that I built sides on. In the front and back, I screwed 4x4's to act as wheel chocks:

Which, would allow me to haul three dirt bikes at once:

#41 ·
#54 ·
My trailer hangs on the wall in my garage.
No thanks. 400 pounds is a little much to be hanging off the back of a mid-sized SUV. Not to mention a little expensive. If it was an MX bike, might be a little different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.