Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Problems starting the engine R1 2015

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I have a Yamaha R1 2015, they have already replaced the battery warranty, but I still have problems starting a warm engine.
I have to keep for a long the starter, but this situation is not normal.

I am Italian someone has the same problem?

If you, as solved?

Thank you

#3 ·
The battery it was replaced under warranty my bike 4000km, as she walked down the voltage to 8.5 volts. I do not have to buy a more powerful battery, but Yamaha has to fix it. The price of this bike € 18,000

#6 ·
Sorry for my English, the old battery down below 8,5volt, and was not in motion. So I changed the battery. BUT if there is a problem in ignition hot, even a good battery with the phone inactivity will be damaged by a too high absorption by the motor.
It could also be that the starter motor absorbs too much, or a problem sull'accenzione hot.
And 'to understand if it is the motor, ignition, or it could also be the tps to adjust.

The controller loads well volts 14.40

#8 · (Edited)
The first start was a cold start? Being the battery went below 10VDC it looks like a weak battery. The 2nd start was even lower!!!! The charging system on the bike is doing what it should be doing, voltage came up to where it should be so no problem there. I have an 06 and I am not sure how low the voltage normally goes on a 2015 when starting, hopefully someone with a 2015 will chime in. In any event, I don't think the voltage should go down that low on cold or hot start on any bike. There may be a short somewhere in the starting circuitry. Maybe even a bad connection.

#10 ·
I'm very disappointed to see that yamaha installed a shitty lead acid battery. My 2003 R6 had a AGM. ($150 battery). lasted 10 years of 0 maintenance. (no tender or charger through winter)
I don't see this battery lasting 2 maybe 3 years tops with proper maintenance. I will be ditching it for an agm or lithium.

#11 ·
It is not the battery, it is a bit undersized, but the problem is the starter that absorbs too much and the battery being amperage small cove monstrously.
I do not with the original battery replaced 2. Now I'm waiting for me to replace the starter motor.

#12 ·
09-12 r1's had notoriously shitty starter motors... i replaced mine after it seized, the oem battery was as well inadequate, there is no surprise here..

purchase a LifePO4 battery with higher cranking amps!! :fact

the price of the bike has nothing to do with how shitty lead acid batteries have become.. yes the bike's engine is somewhat responsible,

what you gonna do though; you kinda need the engine..

a proper battery is a mere 175 bucks.. seems cheap considering the overall investment doesnt it? :dunno

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.