Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2015 Throttle Vibration need input

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  2015r1pete 
#1 ·
Hello to all fellow R1 owners. It makes me sad to say my first post here is due to a problem with my bike. I purchased my 2015 R1 a little over a month ago, I have about 450 miles on it. It has been pretty much highway use ( as I work 40 miles from home). When I first took delivery, I noticed right away, without giving it alot of throttle, the bike would hesitate and you could feel it shudder. Pretty much every time I do, it shutters on take off unless I'm giving it alot of throttle. About a week ago, I noticed pulling up to a stop light, there was a mild vibration. Its very mild, almost hard to tell, but When you leave the bike in neutral, it vibrates, if you grab the clutch lever, the vibration goes away. slowly but surely, it has a vibration with partial throttle and at certain RPMs, at this point, it pretty much vibrates at any throttle, but more specifically It has a shudder if you increase throttle at anything under 4500 RPM. so any partial throttle under 4.5k, and there is a shudder. After take off, there a second shudder as you build throttle as well until about 4.5k. the vibration smooths out over this mark. Only then, on the highway, the vibration is almost non existent when you are cruising, but any throttle input, mild or wide open, will cause the exhaust to become more throaty as expected, but there a vibration you can feel in the seat, in the pegs, and at the throttle. It still seemingly rides fine, but the vibration is thoroughly annoying. My previous bike was a CBR600rr and it was smooth everywhere, it never shuddered nor vibrated, though I know the uneven firing order of the engine, but it has balance shafts to help with that. I'm going to take it in, but I know most dealership don't know a power wheels from a motorcycle, so I'm trying to get some input and ideas on the abnormality, along with other R1 riders who don't experience such things. if you can tell me how your bike rides, it would be a great help

TL;DR Bike vibrates, want to know how other R1s ride so I can substantiate my claim. Is this a smooth riding bike or a vibration machine?

See less See more
#3 ·
sounds like you are lugging the bike ie running the RPM too low for the amount of power you are asking for. Same as in a car or truck that is in too low a gear. You aren't going to get much power below 4500RPM. I could be wrong but I don't think you have an issue. And remember you aren't hurting this engine by going over 9500 rpm. Above 9500 is when its actually generating the torque and HP that you paid for.

Other than that I cant think of what else could be wrong with such a new bike. Unless your clutch is not disengaging or something...Check the free play of the clutch??

#5 ·
It's a crossplane crankshaft. You're lugging the motor with low RPM and high gear selection.
It's not a diesel, so you need to learn how to operate the bike. It's not a 600 either.

The CPC is different than any other motor. Loading it down low will cause lots of vibrations.

#6 ·
That is what I was trying to find out if it was me. As I noticed riding, Instead of cruising in 6th through the city, I'd be in 5th to keep the RPM higher. Though it does vibrate quite a bit from any throttle position even at 6-7k rpm. Unfortunately, When I purchased the bike, the salesman didn't know how to operate the bike either so I've been left to learn on my own. Yea, it is pretty dead under a certain RPM no matter what power level. Thanks for the replies, not trying to come off as a newb, but its my first experience with this type of engine.

#8 ·
I've noticed the gearing is really tall. But, does yours shudder on take off too? That's the thing, I know opening the throttle at low rpm is bad, but I cant imagine this was designed to shudder this much every time I start from a stop, and even just giving it a quarter throttle. It always feels like the engine had to snap to attention for a second, thrn it's ok

#10 ·
If your bike is completely stock, disconnecting exhaust valve, wiring it open and reflashing ecu will make a huge difference, I hated my bike in the city before doing those two mods. I think the shuddering normal at slower speeds was normal when bike was stock. yes gearing is slighty on the tall side

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.