Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2015 R1 Oil cooler leaking?

8K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Hot Rod 
#1 ·
800 miles. I started noticing the cooler turning black around 200 miles. It's slowly spreading to this. What do you guys think?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
ok instead of making a new thread ill post in here.

ive got about 6k miles on my bike. but looking at the pic of your oil cooler, it looks like mine. except the black is everywhere. i kinda forgot how shiny it used to be.

Well I got caught in the rain yesterday going to and from anaheim.

when i stopped at a light on my way home, i noticed my bike was smoking a bit. i thought it could be a plastic bag i tried to avoid, thought maybe it got stuck under my bike. but when i got home i noticed my bike was leaking oil.

this morning i cleaned everything up and found the oil cooler was slowly leaking on my clutch side. where it touches the headers.

i was going to warm up the bike and top it off with oil and ride down to SBM and have them check it out. But when I started the bike up it started leaking bad.

Just wondering how fvcked i am. do i have to buy a new oil cooler? or is it something that can just be welded and fixed?

#14 ·
Southbay motorsports did the recall work on my bike. i will be calling them in the morning. i was going to pay and have my bike towed down there earlier this afternoon, but im glad i didnt.

if that oil cooler is obviously on there incorrectly, it could only have been done by them. so i shouldnt even have to pay to get my bike towed. or they need to reimburse me.

#15 · (Edited)
Didn't I read somewhere that Carne Seca died?? Glad to see I'm wrong. Someone definitely shit the bed on that recall job. Imagine the hard to see flaws :(
lol yeah. not to laugh because someone really did pass away. but it wasnt me. i was busy with work for a while and wasnt posting much. but still riding everyday.
i came back to check on a for sale thread i had on my wheels. but it was deleted. so i pmed a mod asking why, he said because i died. so i got that straightened out.

now my worst fears are coming true. someone fvcked up putting my bike back together.

i hope they didnt mess up anything else.

im ready to trade this thing in for a 17.

#18 ·
dropped my bike off at southbay. told the manager i thought someone must have put the oil cooler back on wrong. he said my warranty should cover it. i told him im not paying for anything either way, either they installed it wrong, or the warranty will cover it.
i also told him that if they could miss something that simple they could have put my clutch back on incorrectly. that ended up costing me almost $700 for the tow and a new clutch.

so they are going to be calling me back later today and ill find out whats up

but then they gave me a ride home which was nice.

#20 ·
well shit on me.

got a call a few mins ago. apparently there are scrapes on the bottom of the plastic under the oil cooler. so SB doesnt think yamaha will approve my warranty claim. gonna give it a shot and put it in anyway they said.

but when it gets denied its gonna cost me $475

not sure what could have done that. ive pulled up the curb at work a few times when there was no parking, but i was pretty sure i had clearance. maybe something on the freeway.
im glad i wasnt an ass to the guys at SB or id feel dumb. they have always done good work for me, so it probably was just something stupid i did, and didnt notice.

either way ive about had it with this bike. even if it is just all me. too much nonsense attached to this bike now.

i wanted to wait till april for a 17, but i might be dumping this bike off for a 16 in the next few weeks.

#24 ·
What ever happened with your oil cooler situation?

The oil cooler on my ‘15 was resting on the header too. I’ve never scraped the bottom cooler cowling. Header eventually rubbed a hole in my cooler. I ended up replacing the oil cooler myself and putting an extension on the lower bracket to keep the cooler off the header.

#26 ·
Hey Carne Seca, I'm having the same problem. i put my R1 in the shop for a coolant leak from the hose behind the headers. They told me I needed a new o-ring and a gasket. 1 week later, they're calling me saying its leaking oil because the header burned through the oil cooler. I bought a new cooler and lower bracket but i need to see how much space it should be between the oil cooler and headers. Would you be able to post a pic of the proper clearance?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.