Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Front sprocket nut size?

17K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  0369Grunt 
#1 ·
What size socket do I need to change out the front sprocket? Noticed there was not a washer tab to bend either but the nut was bent into the sprocket. Can a good torque driver get the nut off without somehow bending the nut back?

#6 ·
OK... how in the hell do you get that tab out then? I tried a small screwdriver and then a punch to move it but all I did was make it worse than before. :dunno

#7 ·
We used a small flathead and lightly tapped it with a hammer to be sure the tab wasn't still grabbing in the back.
We ended up breaking the tabs so you may not want to do that.. :eek:wneddance:

In my case i was replacing the nut with a Ti nut that was safety wired after install.. so it didn't matter to me the condition of the tabs.

The reason we had such a problem was the nut was WAY over the factory torque spec. and had nothing to do with the tabs.

In your case, is the sprocket just not budging at all or are you just preparing to do the job?

#9 ·
Sunday, I attempted to remove the sprocket but found out quickly that I didn't have the correct socket. Attempted to pry the nut away from the sprocket... so yeah, just preparing for the next step.

#17 ·
Prime example as to why I use partshark.com for my oem parts. 15-17 r1 front sprocket nut - 90179-22018-00. Price includes shipping.

partshark - $12.69 :thumbup

mrcycles - $22.03 :whtfu:

ronayers - $20.47 :shake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.