Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

15 R1 Tire Life Is Short

16K views 66 replies 33 participants last post by  Banky 
#1 ·
any one notice how soft the stock tires are? im already at 1200 miles, and im looking at getting tires, great tires but man are they soft, any suggestion on my next tire replacement

#9 ·
lasted 600 miles

I'm 600 miles in and I think I need to replace them next time I hit the canyons. The rear is super soft and it just melts the rubber away. I love the tire and tho. It's very sticky and gives lots of confidence. I'm doing a track day in 2 weeks so I need to buy new tires anyways so I may go with q3's but I'm debating on just sticking with the rs10's

#10 ·
I like the RS10's. Not a bad tire at all. Haven't been on it long enough to wear a flat spot in it yet. I'd buy them again. I just looked them up and the price is ok. I heard they were t available yet in the stores and they are. I like these better than the 003's.

#11 ·
What is the stock tyre in your part of the world...? Over here we get the R1 with Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP and the R1M with Bridgestone RS10. My general impression is that the base model owners are more happy about their delivery spec tyre. I will for sure stay with the Pirellis, either the SP's or the SC2's.

#12 ·
My bike has 400 miles, and I will be doing a track day in 2 weeks with the stock tires. I run Q3s on the other bike and I love them.

My question is, since the bridgestones are 200/55 and the Q3's are 190/55, will I need to reconfigure the tire size within the electronics to compensate for the smaller tire once replaced?

I really wish I had a tire that was 190/60, but then I need to run what Pirellis or GPA's?

#14 ·
My bike has 400 miles, and I will be doing a track day in 2 weeks with the stock tires. I run Q3s on the other bike and I love them.

My question is, since the bridgestones are 200/55 and the Q3's are 190/55, will I need to reconfigure the tire size within the electronics to compensate for the smaller tire once replaced?
I have just under 400 miles and will be hopefully (weather permitting) doing a track day Sunday 5/31. I'm gonna run the stock RS10's too but you must have R1M as the R1 has 190/55 stock.

#15 ·
Mach, on my Q3s I run 32/28 HOT (recommended from Mark Bilt Racing) and that works great....what are you running in the fronts? If you are running 25 PSI rear now is that cold or hot? Depending on what you say, I may run the same 32/28 HOT on the bridgestones and see how that goes....here is what my tires looked like at Lightning...

I have just under 400 miles and will be hopefully (weather permitting) doing a track day Sunday 5/31. I'm gonna run the stock RS10's too but you must have R1M as the R1 has 190/55 stock.
kevap, yea R1M has the bigger rear tires, which I dont really care for unless it was taller like 60 profile. I want to find a nice track tire that is 190/60 but am unsure what needs to be changed on the electronics to compensate for profile and tire size....

Attachments

#18 ·
On my first trackday I was getting hot tear with 30PSI hot rear off warmers on a hot track. Good grip but since its a street tire it seemed easy to overheat. I'll be trying 33-34 HOT rear next time. Front was 32 HOT and seemed ok. Might bump that up a bit as well but the rear was the big issue as it was underinflated at 30 hot

#28 ·
I would not recommend warmers on a street tire. I made this mistake last year, and it put me on my ass late in a session. Tire temperature vs. performance graphs form kind of a venn diagram, with street tires and race tires overlapping. Both street tires and race tires can provide awesome grip when they're in their sweet spot but both are dangerous when out of it.

A proper race tire tends to be slow to warm up, requires a lot of heat to grip properly, but will last a LONG time when worked hard.

A street tire will warm up quickly, grip really well, and then start going off and getting greasy after six or seven decent laps. You'll feel it as it starts getting squirmy. You start off with warmers on, and you're just getting to that greasy point sooner. A half lap of hard acceleration and braking (easy on the lean) will get you right up to temp fine, and you'll last a bit longer per session than with warmers.

Mach2Mack, I agree with 30/28 cold as a good starting point with your wear pattern looking like it did. You going to be at the Ridge Sunday.

#20 ·
RS10's like pressure at the track. 31-34 psi on both the front and rear. any lower and you'll eat them alive. Super sticky though. During MotoGP here BS gave us some sets to test out with track day guys here. They destroyed them on much of anything under 30psi and Bridgestone is learning the same with their testing too. Great tires, but they like PSI.

#25 ·
You would have thought bridgestone had the track psi numbers already. But since the only thing I've ever read was from sportbiketrackgear and that turned out to be a bit low. If Bridgestone wants me to buy their rs10 tires they sure aren't showing it. Put out some info!!! Btw can't find them for sale from my usual places in Canada

#30 ·
This is pretty true. I run the R10 as a race tire and even though it is the race version, not the street one, they do tend to like HIGH PSI. Anything lower than the rec above you will chew them up. I bumped it down to 30/29 on a cold race weekend in hopes to get some more feel from the rear but I ended up chewing the crap out of em.

My guys run 33/34 hot off warmers.

#33 · (Edited)
I personally for a street tire love the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II and the Pirelli Angel GT (I highly recommend the Angel GT)!! They get heat in them very quick with great feel and grip for for street riding/canyons!! The Angels I had I put around 6K on them and still had tons of grip and tread!! I had tried these out because I originally rolled with the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa, but they don't really build up much heat with street riding. To much stop and go to really get the tire worked up and you tend to slide a little with loose breaking.. Plus the Angel GT is great in the rain for you guys that ride your bike everyday and aren't scared of the water :lol

#49 ·
I run the Rosoo Corsas on my R6 for both street and track and can't say I've noticed any issues with street riding. Can you elaborate on your experiences?
I'd obviously like to learn as much as possible so I am safe out there.

On the track, I am an intermediate rider and the tires seem great for my pace.

#36 ·
What pressure you guys using for street I believe mine is set for what the side of the tire says. Any recommendations

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.