Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Superbike Unlimited Flash Review

60K views 233 replies 62 participants last post by  SBK Unlimited 
#1 ·
Has anyone had their ECU flashed via SBU with a stock exhaust system? Anyone have a dyno chart and A/F chart to see gains with respect to a stock exhaust. It looks like the SBU flash gains a ton of midrange - close to 18hp and 14- FT torque between 5.5k and 7k those numbers are measured with a graves full system exhaust of course. As I understand, they've made extensive changes to the fueling and eliminated the flat spot a 5k to 6k as well. If anyone would like to share a review of the flash and specifically their configuration and feedback such as changes in fuel mpg's (I commute on the bike), mid range feel, low rpm torque, running rich ( I don't want to smell like gas after I ride), etc. I know there are other flashes, I think SBU's package is one of the more complete packages with data to support it. Just want a little more feedback before I make my decision.

#3 ·
It's my understanding that, at the moment at least, everyone that's flashing ECUs on these bikes is using FlashTune. So you're really not asking for a review of SBU's flash, but rather a review of FTEcu's flash, as that's what they're all using unless you get something custom. If you mail in your ECU, it's all the same. (I'm open to being corrected on this, but this is what I was told, and my tuner goes directly to FTEcu with my questions.)

SBU's been really good to me when it comes to service while asking about and ordering other parts for this bike, but I didn't get my actual tune through them. I can give you a review, though, of my tune, which would probably be very similar if not identical. I have a 3/4 exhaust and custom fuel trim, but I think the real difference is in the TBW settings, anyway, as my bike is now buttery smooth coming on the throttle from a stop. It's still a bit abrupt coming off the throttle at low RPM, so I'm sending my ECU back to have the engine braking dialed down a bit, and I'm also going to have the decel fueling tweaked a bit to deal with a low RPM closed-throttle backfire.

Power is, obviously, much increased in the low and mid range, and it almost seems like it overwhelms the LIF control now, with the front wheel coming up quite a bit before it's corralled (even at LIF=3). I think this would apply even with the stock exhaust, so long as you wire the EXUP open and disable it via FT (exhaust does not buy you that much power with this bike). FT also disables the top speed limiter and gives you the ~10 hp back on top via allowing the throttle to open all the way. You can also disable AIS and air intake butterfly--I disabled the former and left the latter alone. You can also disable the electronic steering damper for running aftermarket and disable closed-loop and remove O2 sensors.

To sum up: Smooth on the throttle off the bottom (even in A-Mode), still abrupt coming off; angry gorilla power off the bottom, but not necessarily better drive off the corner due to the propensity to wheelie; ability to disable EXUP, AIS, intake flapper, closed loop, and e-steering damper. For a street bike with stock exhaust, the only advantage I can see is the smoother throttle at low speed. If you're not tracking the bike or swapping exhausts, just ride in Mode C on the street and save yourself some money. If you are tracking the bike or swapping exhausts, you'll probably want to find a local tuner, anyway, so you can dial in the fuel trim and have somebody to go to if it's not to your liking.

Oh, and these tunes are constantly being tweaked based off of feedback from customers and racers. Over time, the flashes will get better and better out of the box.

#4 ·
It's my understanding that, at the moment at least, everyone that's flashing ECUs on these bikes is using FlashTune. So you're really not asking for a review of SBU's flash, but rather a review of FTEcu's flash, as that's what they're all using unless you get something custom. If you mail in your ECU, it's all the same. (I'm open to being corrected on this, but this is what I was told, and my tuner goes directly to FTEcu with my questions.)

That's actually not accurate at all.

Our mapping is 100% custom made in house. This includes ignition/fuel/throttle and many other parameters. The hardware with which we flash has no impact on the actual tuning done, which is what makes our flash what it is. There's still a huge hole down low with the FTECU derestricted flash and power/improvements to be had just about everywhere.

#6 ·
Op I have had my ecu flash with sbu it's a bone stock R1M for now. There was a big difference from before and after. Like everyone knows no more dead spot I have smoother acceleration and more responsive throttle bike and yes I feel a power difference also. I have a pwcv and auto tune but haven't installed them yet bc in waiting for my full system exhaust to come. But there is a difference with a stock bike.

#10 ·
Have you noticed a significant drop or increase in fuel mileage? or a smell of gas on you when you finish riding. I was told the stock exhaust bikes would run rich, which is ok so I'm told in regards to engine reliability, but I heard sometimes it can make you smell like gas as well... thanks for the feedback

#13 ·
The feedback is greatly appreciated! I paid $200 to have my bike flashed by FTecu directly, SBU came out with their tune a few weeks later, The midrange chart for their tune looks impressive compared to stock fueling which is what's included with the FTecu flash. I ride mostly street and traffic in LA so the extra power and torque in the 4k to 7k range would be something I could enjoy. I just want as much feedback as possible before I spend another $200 plus to flash a bike that's already been flashed once... 15' r1 owners with SBU flash with stock exhaust you have the stage!

#21 ·
I'm def going to go the ECU reflash route, in my opinion custom tunes and full exhaust are for track bikes and not worth the money... If I was after every last drop of performance then I would invest the money, but it's not cost effective to me. This R1 is my 12th sport bike, my ducati 1199 lasted the longest which was 1.5 years. The ecu flash is good enought for me personally. I know others have their preference and that's cool too. At 200.00 I don't think a custom tune for 500.00 more will make a bike that's already very good much better

#22 ·
No reputable company will post a generic flash along with AFR readings (this includes the big names) because its just that..."generic". Their AFR's won't be close to what they should be.

Lady's and Gents... find a reputable shop/company to tune your bike..and or buy an AutoTuner. Flash's are just a starting point.

Good luck and happy tuning.

:epimp

#26 ·
That is the way it worked on 09-14...not sure why it would be any different for 15. As long as they use the EU base image, the imobilizer should function as normal.

#28 ·
Thank you for the feedback! Does your bike have the stock exhaust or aftermarket slip/full system, our Filter? Any feedback back on the power modes. SBU said they just refined them to work even better, wondering if you had a chance to try and compare. Lastly did you notice any significant difference in fuel consumption?

#31 ·
FYI sbu used ft in the beginning iirc

i have very bad customer service experience from sbu, so i wouldnt use them for anything

if you were around in the heyday of flashing back in 2011 where FT started selling tuneboxes for like $300? with UNLIMITED ECU flashing

you can tell how the competition drove everyone to charge big $$$$ and now those unlimited ecu flashing from some vendors require additional $$$ to unlock it to flash more ecus, all this $ for less then 5 mins of plugging into a laptop.

shop around, last flash i bought was less then $100 for a custom woolich image for my gen 4 zx10r, imo a ecu flash should be less then $100 for the amount of work being done

#33 ·
This is my experience with SBU. I live in FL and took my 15 R1 to them while on vacation at Deals Gap. I had them throw it on the Dyno before Flashing to get a baseline and this is the same flash you send the ecu in for. I was told they were having software issues after updating their hardware to more updated units and their numbers are way off. I didn't really care about the numbers as I wanted to see the graph.

My bike has a 3/4 Yosh Alpha system.

There is a def dip in power from 5500-7500. End results were a very smooth climb in horsepower all the way up till redline. No more dip at 5500-7500. Torque peaks out very quick at 9k and drops slightly out to redline. Gains were good at 11hp and 3 ft lbs of torque overall. Bike is smooth on the power. I also had them turn back on injectors during deceleration and disable the EXUP to remove it. I didn't like the way the bike just dived when you just roll off the throttle a hair.

Now since I have gotten 1500 miles on it since I was there June 2nd, I sent a pm to them to ask a question and they suggested to send it back in for a more updated set of maps and I also had them disable the air intake flap so I could remove it also and they did it for just the cost of mailing the ecu to them.

I have not had it in the track yet due to no track fairings or suspension isn't right for me. I run advanced class and I'm 260 lbs, so the stock setup won't work. I run good enough times on my ZX10 to put me in 3rd place in CCS Formula 40 Amateur,yes I'm also old, but I'm no slouch on a bike.

#35 ·
I have had My SBU flash on my 2015 R1M for over 1 month now, bike runs very strong with great mid range now. I have done 6 track days with it in the expert class and do not have any problems walking from any other bike on the track. I have the Akro slip on with custom made mid pipe, o2 delete exup delete and open air duct now..

#43 ·
When you get the SBK Unlimited ECU installed can you say which options you went with and possibly a review?

Thanks

#45 ·
This is my good and bad:
Exhaust choice for sound and looks two Bros slip on with decat
waiting for airfilter so I can install my smog offs
flash done by sbu about month + ago, this weekend finally got 3 days and 600+ miles put on her, now my thoughts
bike is more responsive on the bottom and feels like on the top, my issue is this, when I hit 80mph on no matter what settings, bike just dies, meaning no throttle response, it totally looses it's pull, then you pull on a throttle and after nothing it gets a spike like you just shot a nos up its as$, I've mentioned that to Justin, his response was that it's not a custom tune, and remedy would he getting one, or pcv with autotune.
after 3 days riding and bike constantly cutting off I got so pissed I felt like running it into a wall, I had my 12 r1 flashed with no prob, I know everybody is mostly happy with their flash tunes, I am royally mad how it runs on a highway since 80 is an avg and run that most of the time, anyone knows a good spot in Chicago area to get a good cutom tune done would be appreciated,

#46 ·
I've done lots of tuning and it's complete bullshit that u need a custom tune. My guess is there is a bug in the flash. However go over all your work and make sure everything is plugged in, located etc before 100% blaming them.
Best thing to do is get it on a dyno and try and replicate it. If u see it spiking extremely lean or rich then they should be able to fix then in the file.

#49 ·
Mate fully agree and in hind sight prob a better option. I myself would be pissed if this happened considering I'd be sending my ecu from Australia. I remember a problem with the PCV with the 2011 onwards zx10 there was a glitch where it would randomly run on 3 cylinders. Massive threads on it on the zx10.net forum. Power commander completely denied it but when more and more people starting having issue with a pcv all running the same firmware it became obvious. They did not apologise to the people that spent hundreds on dynoing to find the issue. This may be a FTECU fault during a firmware update. Someone needs to call FTECU and let them know just incase.

#50 ·
15r1 1st thing I've checked after I noticed that was the ecu harness to make sure it's properly connected, I'm obviously pissed how bike runs but it is what it is, like I've mentioned before that I need to find a good tuner in my area, or at least within 100 mile range and get that fixed asap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.