Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2015 R1 Lacomoto Belly Pan With Stock Fairings

100K views 321 replies 61 participants last post by  SBK Unlimited 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
This is awesome...

im interested to see if the Carbon pattern will match with the R1M and i'm also interested to see the up close quality.

The R1M has some VERY good quality carbon. The carbon weave on the bike is up there with what will come in a $250k car. Anything but high grade stuff is going to stand out right next to OE Carbon pieces.

#5 ·
The R1M has some VERY good quality carbon. The carbon weave on the bike is up there with what will come in a $250k car. Anything but high grade stuff is going to stand out right next to OE Carbon pieces.
That's a pretty good summary of the advantage as well as the drawback of the OEM carbon fairings. The OEM stuff is certainly not some home made crap from somebodys garden shed. From what I have been told, they come from the same shop that manufactures the carbon parts for the MotoGP bike, so material as well as craftmanship is likely the best you can get. Which means most after market carbon parts positioned next to them will look cheap in comparison...

Reactions: RayH
#12 ·
Cleans up the belly nicely. Now they need to make another version that is more slim, for those owners that have done away with the bulky cat.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
I actually installed it unpainted just now just to check fitment and it looks awesome from the sides. Problem is when you look at it from the back. From trying to cover a hole left by the cat now I got another hole that is well defined by the bellypan. The hole left is huge. I´m trying to figure out now the way to paint it so optically the eye can be fooled into having a smaller hole there. Maybe cover up part of the hole for air to come into the bellypan... dunno. will figure it out.

#26 · (Edited)
Ok.. so I got it painted and installed.. Color is off... don´t worry about it as it´s getting redone just now. I just installed it to see how it looks.

The bellypans fitment is OK. But just ok. It needs work off the edges as the fiberglass is not rounded out in the back and I painted it white inside as well(just a single spray so that it wouldn´t be black) and the hole doesn´t look that bad.

Had to use different longer bolts to secure it as the oem quick fasteners weren´t big enough. So I think they dropped the ball here. Why not use the oem holes and bolts that the heat shields leave behind... like the Taylormade covers.

Again overall it´s just ok when you receive it but do expect to work on it before getting it installed. Dunno if I´m happy this costed me 230 shipped + shipping to Panama + having to work on it.

ALSO IMPORTANT.. ground clearance is reduced. I´m hitting speed bumps that I didn´t before and most likely will hit a curb if you try to get over one for some reason.

Now on to the preliminary pictures.. I will post some more when I get the color right.

Attachments

#39 ·
Not feeling the LacoMoto bellypan, nor the Austin Racing piece. Was planning to get the LacoMoto bellypan and paint it as gsa013 did, but I don't like the shape of it. The AR piece does the job by filling the void, but it looks gaudy to me.

#43 · (Edited)
I can make fiberglass stuff but I have no idea how to come up with a mold. I could sell these things like hotcakes if I could do that. since no one else is coming up with anything worthwhile.
I might try making a mold with a foam block and just scrape it like car designers do with clay. can't do carbon fiber as I don't have a spare oven to cook it properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.