Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Smog Block-Off Plates - Why not just plug the line running from the airbox?

12K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  2001GSXR750 
#1 ·
On my 2007 GSX-R 600 I put an aftermarket exhaust on and just blocked the line from the airbox running to the servo that injects/pulls air into the exhaust to eliminate my flamethrower and popping on deceleration after putting an aftermarket exhaust on.

I'm looking at putting the Graves cat-eliminator setup on the bike, removing exup, and the air injection.

I watched a video on installing the Graves smog block-off plates and I have to ask - besides the meager weight savings of the plates - why not just block the air line running to the system. On my '07 I did it with a marble slightly larger than the inner diameter of the hose - too big to make its way into the airbox or into the servo.

I am just honestly trying to figure out if there is any reason this isn't 'good enough' or won't do the trick.

#2 ·
As far as I know what you're saying is correct in that if you block the hose job done. Like you say, the weight savings are meager and inconsequential for most riders but don't forget the cumulative effect of removing a number of components. The savings add up and may start to deliver a real world tangible difference if enough weight savings are made.
What I found it definitely does do is make future access to plugs and coil packs less of a mission.

#9 ·
I would say ease of mind too. It sounds like it worked on the GSXR, but I'm more comfortable knowing I have two solid plates, firmly bolted in place, rather than a marble in a tube or a homemade cap and clamp. It was $30 for the plates and about 2 hours of work to get them on and everything back together, and that included two trips to the store to get a ratchet fitting hex kit, and some zip ties.

#13 ·
I did the Graves plates lastnight. Watch the youtube videos and NOT the graves instructions for this one. I pulled 2x more of the bike apart then needed. But, if your going to tear off the airbox to get to the injectin hose, then your 90% done anyway so you might as well swap plates.....

#23 ·
Bolts...marbles...bubble gum... ive seen it all...just stuff something in that hose and connect it to the air box, or plug the air box... why cant the tree hunggers just leave us alone? from a mechanics point of view PLEASE REMOVE ALL OF IT!, get block off plates. It makes my job so much easier. THANK YOU!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.