Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

R1S is announced

4K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  2muchbluE 
#1 · (Edited)
#8 ·
Removing the ABS is probably not an option. According to European law, every new motorcycle model from 2015 and on must be delivered with ABS brakes.

Also, claiming that this model is directed towards a younger crowd with less coin is nothing but BS. The problem for the youngsters over here is not whether they can afford the R1S, the R1 or the R1M. Their main problem is to even be allowed to ride something like this. I don't remember the exact driving license rules on top of my head, but you do need to own and ride small and midsize bikes for quite some time before your license will allow you to ride a 1000 cc sportsbike. And then you have not even tried to get insurance...

My personal reflection - is there even a market for a cheaper model with a lower spec than the base model...?

#9 ·
Kool, nice starter bike for race teams who would have removed/replaced all those parts anyway.

#16 ·
I get the impression the "S" is for street meaning someone who isn't worried about track performance and doesnt care about th 9 pounds and won't notice the hp difference because they aren't going to be using 15k rpm on city streets 12k will do them just fine but they still want the grunt o the 1000cc motor. Make a lot of sense . You look at It that way. I know alot of guys ride liter bikes bikes who never been on the track. With gravel, pot holes, tar snakes, there's zero chance of pushing these bikes to a level where anyone would notice that difference anyways on the street. $1500? That's a slip-on some sliders and money still in your pocket.

#20 ·
One thing I find interesting is to find out what Yamaha charges us for some of the fancier bits. I think the $1500 is a worthwhile update for what we get in the base R1. I'd buy it again.

I don't know how many more bikes they'll sell (likely many)... $1500 isn't something to scoff at for most consumers, I just hope it doesn't bring down the value of the R1 in general.

#21 ·
Well…it makes more since to buy an R1S.

The aluminum wheels and stainless steel exhaust are all upgradable mods that would be better than the Mag wheels and Ti exhaust on the standard R1.

I'd buy an R1S for sure if I was currently in the market for buying a new bike.

My thoughts.

Edit: The only draw back I see are the Ti rods…

#22 · (Edited)
Imagine what yamaha/graves would charge if the Ti piston rods were a yec upgrade part that enables higher rpm, not to mention the additional tuning required once you install them. This alone will make up the difference.

If I wanted a good starting point for a track only bike, I would buy the base racer edition instead that comes with the kit ecu. The 18000,00yen msrp conversion will be 15006.4560 US Dollar at the current rate.

Attachments

#23 ·
^^^For a track bike the only weak link with the S is the engine. On my last bike I swapped the stock wheels for OZ wheels, got race glass, Ktech suspension, PC w/ quick shifter, clip ons, rearsets. But I didn't get the engine worked on, and most do not. But they do all or most of the other upgrades I did.

Not only this but later on, if you have catastrophic damage to your engine and you want a replacement you're going to need to figure out what is a 'good' engine and what's an S engine.

#26 ·
IMHO... 1500 is nothing for the upgrades you are getting. In then end when you go to the dealership you end up paying less than retail sometimes... and wait till the 2017s are there and they are trying to get rid of 2016 stock... you can get an even nicer deal.

I think it would have been golden if they had left the engine the same as someone mentions above.. all the other stuff you upgrade anyways. Opening up an engine is something else.

#29 ·
I would have liked to see a R1s at $14000 have the exact some features of the R1, without the electronic rider aids. Some people are purist, and don't want all that crap and therefore don't wait to pay for it. I am not in that group, btw, I LOVE my lift and traction control. But to me, that would have made the most sense. As an aside, does the r1s have stainless steel brake lines also?

#30 ·
Well you can turn it all off except the abs and ubs brake system. But to be honest only a guy like (insert your favorite rider here) could handle the bike without the intervention.

And lets face it none of us are on that level and never will be. I have come to fully embrace it all. Once you get the bike on a track it becomes obvious why its needed. The bike is a missle and would be unrideable to the 99.99% of us who buy them.

#32 ·
Think of what percentage of S model owners are going to install full exhaust system anyway for nearly $1,500 in order to shave 9>lbs and think they have a machine equal to the regular R1 thus validating their purchasing decision. They claim they're going after the "younger" crowd, may the S stands for Squid and they want to take away from the Suzuki market share.

#34 ·
I think that these will sell mainly because it's cheaper. I've been riding for 11 yrs now and have only recently upgraded the bike. I've been hitting the track for nine yrs. Everyone is different and it will come down to mainly looks. A good rider on a R1s will still be able to smoke a R1m rider that's not as good. I have the BLUE R1 and I love it. I don't like to ride on the street much but this bike has brought back old feelings, and I started on a new 05 R1. I would love to be a top notch racer, but I am at best moderate. I've been hitting the track more and am glad that I have the bike that I do. Still debating if I should upgrade my suspension and haven't hit the track yet. I'm buzzed by the way lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.