Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Petition to recall for Park Mode and to prevent a dead battery

9K views 84 replies 37 participants last post by  easbaysav 
#1 ·
I started a petition online to petition Yamaha to do something about Park Mode inadvertently killing our batteries when accidentally placed in park mode. This is seemingly happening far too frequently. I see more and more posts every day about this. And it makes no sense why Yamaha wouldn't program the Bike to make a beep or a visual cue that it is in park mode either on the display or having the park lights stay on. At worst to have them replace the ignition switch so that you have to turn the key more in order to get it from locked position to park position.

We need 1000 Signatures. Please sign then Share this everywhere you think it will help to make it more visible and get the signatures required.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/492/236/046/

#12 ·
im with this guy on this one.. who the hell just brainlessly cranks the key over as far around as it goes and whoops, its left in park and your battery slowly gets ragged out?

you make yer bed, you lie in it. doing something that sloppy is indicative of the sort who maybe shouldnt be on a bike, yeah? =D

#9 ·
None of you will agree that this is a problem until you do it by accident.

Comments like "this is whats wrong with the world today" are really productive and helpful. thanks for that, you are so helpful.

It is a problem because it kills your battery if you make the mistake of doing it, and you are left with a bike that wont start, and a battery that may be damaged or wont take a charge because of this seemingly simple design flaw.

Some of you may be perfect and never make the mistake of doing this. Then others that do make the mistake, have to shell out money to tow their bikes to dealerships, or buy new batteries and or additional equipment.

#13 ·
This should not happen to any one of us more than one time. You do it once, read the MULTIPLE threads on here stating to not use "Park" bc it has a draw and boom now you're informed. If you know of the problem yet keep getting your ass kicked by it then you're an idiot. This can mean anyone not just you Munkyy.

Reactions: drdiesel1
#10 ·
Would push starting the bike work in this instance? I have put a bike in park mode accidentally, but never long enough to kill the battery. But then again I don't leave my bike out of sight long enough to really ever feel the need to lock the bars either. But I am paranoid and I own it! Living in Florida where bikes are stolen every minute (just made that up, but seems reasonable) will do that to you.

#38 · (Edited)
Pretty sure its for if you break down along a road at night. You can lock it but the rear tail light stays on so that people can see it.

Edit: Pretty sure every bike iv'e owned had a steering lock

#20 ·
I know of no one that was able to successfully bump start this bike. Because the bike does not charge in idle. Plus after jumping the bike the moment you disconnect the cables the bike dies.

If you call a dealership, they want you to bring the bike over to test the charging system and the battery. They wont just let you bring the battery.

#15 ·
Yamaha will laugh at this petition like I am. You mistakenly put your bike in park mode and walk away only to return to a dead battery. That is your mistake and your fault. The park mode is in the owners manual that is provided by Yamaha for you to read about all the features the motorcycle has.

You did not read the owners manual provided and you have unfortunately learned a valuable lesson to read about something you may have purchased. If you made the same mistake twice like some people have with this bike, well then the common sense gene is not strong in your family line or skipped a generation maybe. Please remove your petition. It is embarrassing to riders alike.

Don't be like that moron lady who spilled the Mc Donald's Coffee on herself and sued for it being hot and she did not know.

#19 ·
I find it hard to believe that you cannot find compassion for your fellow Motorcyclists that you feel the need to insult and bash people for their attempts to be helpful to the community.

All I am stating is that if Yamaha came out with a better way for the bike to indicate that it is in park mode when you switch it to that position, Accidentally or not. That way when someone accidentally did it, it wouldnt kill their batteries. This would save the people who accidentally do this one time so they are not met with a dead battery that will have a reduced charging capacity.

But I guess people are more focused on kicking/putting down people for trying to help others that are having issues.

I know I signed up to this forum to get information when I needed and help others if I could. I am just baffled why I am met with this level of disrespect.

#24 ·
I can't really see what you are trying to accomplish. First you are talking about forcing Yamaha to sort out a design flaw. Then you are talking about owners accidentally putting the bike in park mode. Basically, you want Yamaha to be held responsible of mistakes performed by the owners...???

#26 ·
They do need to fix this. Yes it can be done by accident and they should give some type of display warning of sound to let you know its in Park Mode and it will drain your battery. It just a couple extra lines of code they could include, if not for our bike then for the next year model. I signed it. Thanks Munkee

#28 ·
When you say charge at idle, do you mean that if the battery was disconnected that the bike should keep running?
Meaning that the charging system should keep the voltage levels at idle in neutral and effectively keep the bike running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#36 ·
@Munkyy This is what's wrong with the world today:But I guess people are more focused on kicking/putting down people for trying to help others.
My friend, this world is full of people who are like this,and some how they never step back and take true judgement of their mouth or actions.I don't give a shit who you are, you have made mistakes,whether its being your mouth,or actions ie: cutting someone off,speeding,riding by someone who might need help,Hey this list could go on & on,but hey,unfortunately, the world is only as good as the people in it.

#37 ·
This is just my opinion after checking the owners manual... The manual says "The hazard lights can be turned on, but all other electrical systems are off." Leaving the hazard lights on would obviously drain the battery but it states that all other electrcal systems are off so you would assume that if the hazard lights are not on then you wouldn't have a draw. The notice in the manual states, "Using the hazard lights for an extended length of time may cause the battery to discharge." It states nothing about a draw or discharging battery with the hazard lights off. The fact that "Park" causes an invisible/unnoticeable draw on the electrical system (until it's too late) is bad engineering and a design flaw. Should there be something letting you know that you're in "Park"? Eh idk about that but like 2muchblue said, I think Yamaha will laugh this one off. Obviously they don't care about your batteries dying bc on another thread someone said that they told him it needs to be on a tender when not being ridden. Doesn't sound like they're too concerned about fixing it.

Attachments

#39 ·
Thanks. This is my point exactly.

Why would the battery drain when the lights are not in use.

To enable the park lights you have to switch it in park mode, then enable the hazard lights. If the entire purpose of park mode is to enable the hazard lights, why not just auto enable to hazard lights straight from the bat?

Requesting Yamaha make an audible alert once in park mode is merely a way to detect it if you accidentally do it.

If they also put a countdown on the park mode for 20 minutes, or a built in system that would detect the voltage drop on the system then it would automatically disable park mode, that would make more sense. Before it is too late and the bike completely drains. The bike should have a built in mechanism that protects it from deep battery drain.

No one wants to get stuck far from home because they made a mistake. Then when they try to jump start the bike they find that won't even work.

We all paid a lot of money for these bikes, we shouldn't have to worry about batteries dying and our bikes not starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#47 ·
I feel like this is a "fool me once" situation. I know the park light switch is there and because of that I always turn It to park then one back to off. Never had a dead battery. If you wanted to make the park lights function while in park mode so you have an indication they are on its as simple as 2 diodes, a few crimps, and some heat shrink. To keep this going is just making a show out of one's incapability to learn and adjust to a new position on the key switch, something ducati an BMW owners have seemed to figure out but we cant? Come on guys this Is just starting to look bad on on crossplane gang.

#48 ·
Honestly didn't realize that there was a parking setting until this tread. But that is only because my thumb was covering up the TRUTH lol. No but really I always look at what I'm doing especially on the bike. If you cannot feel two clicks then you must be numb. No BS

#50 · (Edited)
Can we just derail this pointless thread already? Sooo PJ, I hear you're going to be a Siamese twin for Halloween? :finger :lol

#54 ·
Can we just detail this pointless thread already? Sooo PJ, I hear you're going to be a Siamese twin for Halloween? :finger :lol
Not just Halloween :scared :vanish
Doing good, you?
Hanging in there. It's actually kinda nice up here in South Canada. Enjoying all them putty bikes of yours?

#56 · (Edited)
I read this whole thread with an open mind and postponed judgement until I got through it all and all I can do is SMH. If your petition went through how much do you think this would cost? Who do you think would pay for it (long term)? I have yet to accidentally put my bike in Park Mode and if and when I do I'll kick myself for being a dumbass, I'll fix it, I'll make sure it doesn't happen again and I'd move on. I suggest you do the same.

#57 ·
I read this whole thread with an open mind and postponed judgement until I got through it all and I can do is SMH. If your petition went through how much do you think this would cost? Who do you think would pay for it (long term)? I have yet to put my bike accidentally in Park Mode and if and when I do I'll kick myself for being a dumbass, I'll fix it, I'll make sure it doesn't happen again and I'd move on. I suggest you do the same.
That's ridiculous...taking responsibility for your own actions. Who do you think you are?? Someone else should obviously pay for your mistake!

Ok, had to get that out, this is a bit nuts though...just don't turn the key that far?:serious:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.