Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Engine Problem

13K views 76 replies 28 participants last post by  Banky 
#1 ·
I was on the way to work with my 2015 R1 and right when I was about to merge onto the highway on ramp, I heard a loud knocking sound coming from my engine. I went to the nearest gas station to make sure the oil level was fine and it was. I rode it back home about 4 miles. I took it to the shop where i purchased the bike and they said that it sounded like a rod. My bike has 6327 on the odometer and has had an oil change at 587 miles and another at 3385. has anyone else had a problem like this?

#27 · (Edited)
IDK why you would think 600 and 3000 miles is a bad idea, but
that's the norm. He has 6K miles and it started to knock.
It has nothing to do with intervals. Those intervals are spot on
with the 3K being way to early. I would bet something came loose
on a rod if the noise is a first order. Otherwise, it could be anything.

Yamaha and Honda are known for timing chain tensioner issue's
and it could be as simple as that :corn

We need to wait and see. I don't think Yamaha will have the dealer
tear into this engine. I bet they ship in a replacement and ship
that one back to the factory for inspection to see if they have any
outstanding issue's with the new motors :scoots:

#26 ·
I agree, but I don't think this problem is stemming from used oil. What is happening at the dealer OP? Are they going to measure the piston height to see if a rod is bent? I can't tel b you post, but; If you were able to ride it to the dealer, maybe it isn't catastrophic?

#29 ·
When the cam chain tensioner loosens itself up has a distinct sound. My fz-09 would do it and I would have to constantly tighten it until I bought an APE manual tensioner. Worth looking into I suppose.

#31 ·
If new motors are producing alot of blowby then your breaking it in wrong. If you follow the manufacturer break in procedure you have a higher chance of having blowby issues as opposed to putting load on the piston rings by utilising the hard break in method. But that's a whole new can of worms that has been debated for too long.

No matter what the problem is you will be covered and yamaha should be bending over backwards to keep you as a happy customer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.