Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

AIM Solo and R1 Dash EMI

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  FabR1 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone else having an issue with the AIM solo and 2015 R1 dash emitting too much EMI where the AIM GPS will not acquire a signal?

This is a known issue by AIM as I have been in contact. They said "some", not all dashes emit too much noise. They told me to send it in and they would repair it. Well, I just got it back and they gave me a different serial number and this one does not work either. Pretty crappy customer service and support. I plan on calling them again tomorrow and speaking with a manager. I tried wrapping the dash in copper double sided tape and thought I had it working, no luck. I also know a few people that have had it fixed by some shops, although I've heard they are not telling and are charging for the fix. I'll be calling them tomorrow as well.

It is in a ideal spot, to the left of the dash, right within eyesight. I know I can move it, but I am looking for a fix as I have already made a mount for it.

Any others having the same problem? Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Anyone else having an issue with the AIM solo and 2015 R1 dash emitting too much EMI where the AIM GPS will not acquire a signal?

This is a known issue by AIM as I have been in contact. They said "some", not all dashes emit too much noise. They told me to send it in and they would repair it. Well, I just got it back and they gave me a different serial number and this one does not work either. Pretty crappy customer service and support. I plan on calling them again tomorrow and speaking with a manager. I tried wrapping it in copper double sided tape and thought I had it working, no luck. I also know a few people that have had it fixed by some shops, although I've heard they are not telling and are charging for the fix. I'll be calling them tomorrow as well.

It is in a ideal spot, to the left of the dash, right within eyesight. I know I can move it, but I am looking for a fix as I have already made a mount for it.

Any others having the same problem? Any suggestions?
Well, shielding the GPS receiver is definitely not the right thing to to. You should be shielding the dash if anything. How do you have it wired in? Have you tried getting a signal with the Solo further away from the dash?

#5 ·
Didn't think of trying that, or it would need it, but interesting. What kind of ground would you use in this situation? Imagine your dash, all sides wrapped in double sided copper. How would you attach a ground to it? Or to the dash some how..? Find a screw and attach a wire to it, to ground?

Thanks!

#11 ·
I am having that same issue and its driving me nuts.
it seems that not 2015 R1 dashes emit EMI noise, but mine does.
no matter where I put my solo lap timer.
I tried shielding part of my solo (leaving the top part unshielded since that is where the GPS antenna is), also tried shielding my dash...no go.

any one found a fix?

#13 ·
as I said, I spoke to may race teams and not all dashes create the isssue...
try, you will find out quickly: if your solo takes forever to find the necessary 6 satellites, you have a problem.

#15 ·
it's not a "dash problem", but its a problem when your dash generates too much em noise and won't let your solo detect satellites.

again, not every 2015-16 R1 dash does it, but it's becoming a common, annoying and persistent issue.

some shielding and/or creative mounting ideas can help, I still havent succeeded yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.