Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2015 Adjustable Lowering Links

14K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Alatalo 
#1 ·
See less See more
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
#6 ·
Lower the bike means lower the ground clearance.

Personally I don't want the fairing touch the ground when it's in the band(especially my M's carbon fairing).

Also I am 5'7" and my friend 5'4" we are both fine with the original seat height(860 mm on the M) with SAG been set, we don't need both legs on the ground but we need the ground clearance.

Just my 2¢.

#7 ·
OP,
I will only speak of my experience. I'm 5'4 and Before getting my 15' I was looking at lowering options for it. When on the bike and stood up right I'm literally on tip toes with boots. I would in the past lower my other bikes for better comfort. but I've learned to just deal with it lol. If I need to reverse I'll just get off and walk it or use the kickstand trick and 180 flip it lol. Other than that just one leg it! :laugh:

Lowering the front gives you turn in Benefits, Etc... Lowering the rear gives you exit benefits, Etc... All just depends on your riding style and body position really. You can lower the front and rear and still be able to take those tight corners and lean angles with no issues. Plus the R1 has obnoxious height/clearance to it anyways, So lowering a bit is not going to really affect clearance. That being said, You can drop the triple to lower the front and and adjust the rear to match, But you can only lower the front so much to where if you Wheelie and land it hard or During Hard breaking it will make contact with fender so adjust accordingly your front settings. Keep in mind The ADJUSTABLE DOG BONE for the rear Should be of high quality material since that is what is holding the Rear up and you wouldn't want that snapping on you at speed lol.

Ok, so that's just my experience and opinion. Please don't beat me up and bash me if this doesn't make sense.0:) Ride hard brother!

#8 ·
Trying to get an update to see if anyone has used the T-Rex lowering links on ebay.... I just recently purchased a 2015 R1 and Im having the same issues with height. Im 5'5 and im tip toeing on the bike. I understand that it changes the suspension geometry but I rather do that then be unstable on the bike. Can I get some more feed backs on this issue. There is another lowering link on ebay also
YZF R1S 2015 2016 lowering Link Links Kit Adjustable New 4 inch Drop R1S New | eBay

Any feedback's would be appreciated.... Feel free to IM me also if needed.

Attachments

#14 ·
I don't believe in changing the height of a bike that was specifically designed to be one of the best handling bikes ever made. There is no way the bike will handle as well once you change the geometry.

Don't do it, get used to it like the other shorter guys that commented.

#15 ·
If you have not already done it, try adjusting what you can on the bike one thing at a time. Get some feedback on those changes and progress from there. Then after every other attempt was made, if it was me, I would give those lowering links a try. They're not too expensive. Worse case you try it, don't like it, and go back to the way it previously was.

#17 ·
I was advised against this by my suspension guy but that's based upon wanting to track it more than I used to. If you're street riding only and drop the front and rear by a small amount I don't see the bike suddenly turning into a zx14 but I'm not a suspension guy so maybe I'm wrong.

#18 ·
If you are installing adjustable pullrods on a bike that has got a linkage with two pullrods, make sure you set both of them to EXACTLY the same length. Get one of them couple of tenth of a millimeter wrong and all of the rear suspension load will go through only one of them, which usually results in something breaking.

Apart from this, I agree fully with the people telling you to stay away. I have yet to see a manufacturer of "lowering kits" that understands rear suspension geometry, linkage ratios and anti-squat angles. Yes, your bike will be lower. But it will very likely perform like shit, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.