Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

How to ID a 2016 R1 that has had the transmission fixed already?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DblD 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Love all of the great info especially regarding the transmission recall on MY2015 R1 and R1M. I almost got a '15 R1 after testing one at a N2 Trackday through YCRS. I had to hold off for financial reasons which may actually have been a blessing in disguise.

Now I am within a couple of months of getting a 2016 R1 and I can't get a straight answer from my local dealer regarding the transmission on the MY2016 R1. So my question for all of you: Can I look at the VIN or date of manufacture to determine if the changes to the transmission were completed during assembly vs. done after assembly vs. completed at the dealer?

Maybe the safest bet would be to find a more reputable/straightforward/honest dealer in the Southeast. I live in South Carolina. Can you all recommend a quality dealer in SC or NC or GA? I just read some great comments about KYHNC in Hickory. Any others?

Thanks a bunch and safe riding!

#4 ·
'16 R1S models were returned to Japan for rework, some standard R1's and M's may have had trannys rebuilt before bikes were actually assembled, according to dealer. Ultimately, there may be no real way to know for sure. Just ride it and be happy

Reactions: DblD
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.