Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2016 r1 motor oil debris

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  yamaharandy 
#1 ·
Pulled this off my drain plug.. 600 mile oil change.. any suggestions?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
So there is some serious stuff going on with the bike.. this is not "brake in debris" hopefully yamaha will look out for a loyal customer. this is obviously trans stuff.. the bike did not have auto blip downshift.. and i shifted this bike the same way as my old r1 and r6 both of which i never had issues.

#9 ·
Yeah that's definitely not good. Sorry to hear it man. This is an engines worst. Nightmare. I screen my oil through a coffee filter for this very reason just to make sure my engine doesn't have particles like this in it. Definite sign of things hitting together and causing damage. Screen your oil to see what else is in there. Hopefully you have it saved still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Looks like gear top or face particles to me. I've seen this in my RS and TZ gearboxes which were cassette and easy to inspect but were under heavy stress all the time. When I saw this I replaced the gears but they had plenty of race miles before they started to chip. I would get a claim started at a local dealer....good luck.

#12 · (Edited)
Hello,

Per Yamaha:

THE DEBRIS PICTURED IS EXPECTED WHEN 2 CRITERIA ARE MET: NORMAL BREAK IN DEBRIS, AND COMBINED WITH PUTTING THE BIKE INTO FIRST GEAR WHEN THE UNIT IS NOT AT A SLOW IDLE. EVEN WITH THE CLUTCH PULLED IN THE MAIN TRANSMISSION SHAFT WILL BE SPINNING WITH A FAIR BIT OF INERTIA AND IF THE BIKE IS PLACED IN GEAR THE SUDDEN SHOCK OF COMING TO A STOP WHEN THE GEAR ENGAGES THE COUNTER SHAFT, WHICH IS STATIONARY DUE TO THE REAR WHEEL NOT MOVING, CAN CHIP THE FACES OF THE FIRST GEAR SET.

I WOULD RECOMMEND MONITORING THE SITUATION CLOSELY AND EDUCATING THE CUSTOMER. IF BEST PRACTICES ARE EMPLOYED NOW THIS DEBRIS SHOULD NOT POSE ANY PERFORMANCE OR RELIABILITY ISSUE IN THE FUTURE, BUT CONTINUED SHOCK LOADING OF THE GEAR CAN CAUSE MORE DAMAGE, AND THE CUMULATIVE EFFECT COULD REQUIRE EXPENSIVE REPAIR. THANK YOU,

#14 ·
well a local guy with a ktm 390 had a bunch of stuff like that and now he has a new engine because it blew up. my suggestion is to try to blow it up. if it keeps on keeping on probably nothing to worry about.

I'd try like hell to get the dealer to pull the pan. there has to be more in there than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.