Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

15-16 R1 Integrated Taillight?

14K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  elevens 
#1 ·
After weeks of debate, I'm turning for other opinions.

With a quick google search, one will find only 2 options for the latest R1 or R1S integrated taillights.

The options are the Blaster X or the ST-Light by JL Designs.

I'm sure someone has done this mod, what are your personal opinions on the brand you chose? Ease of installation, Fitment, Etc...

One of them, I believe the ST-Light, does not look to be 'plug-n-play' but more of a splice and dice type installation, not sure.

What does the community have to say about this mod?!
Cheers!

#2 ·
A buddy of mine runs the Blaster-X. Super easy plug and play install, and super bright.

I on the other hand enjoy the center line of the stock tailight, so I'll be running it as well as external LED signals.

#3 ·
Thats basically what I'm running now, stock tail with TST Industries fender eliminator & turn signal bracket. But it'd look a lot cleaner with integrated signals.

I might go with the blaster X, the only thing is the actual lens is like...idk how to describe it - "mountainy" "bubbly" LOL the jl light is 100% flat so it looks much sleeker....but im beginning to think "who cares still integrated & smoked".

I do see now the blaster X super plug and play, and the jl light is the one that looks like you got to slice em up. I might go with blaster just for that plug n play fact, and it's also programmable. You can either buy their switch..or im sure I could rig up my own with a little examination of their photos. LOL.

G
#5 ·
Ive got the CustomLED one as well and it cracked within the first week from a rock, stuck in the tire grooves i suppose. Not sure if i got a bad one but the clear plastic is extremely thin. Still works great though. I just threw a couple layers of clear packing tape over it. Hopefully itll last for a few more years..

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
I installed the Blaster X. It was the easiest mod I've ever done, it was simply just a plug and play.

I highly recommend this product because of the price point and quality of functionality.

In addition the sales people are very willing to help and friendly.

You can't go wrong with Blaster X.

I'm sure the other products are okay but I'm just sharing with you my experience.

#15 ·
Running both CustomLED Blaster-X, and the JL Designs TS-Series signals. The Blaster-X is always good quality, bright, and warning flash is nice. The JL Designs TS-Series turn signals are not as bright as I expected (the smoked ones), but still look awesome I think.

No need for any after market relays or anything, flash rate remains the same after install.

TS-SERIES ? JL Designs - Custom Yamaha R1 Tail Light Kits

I'm not a big fan of JL's integrated tail light, because its a red oval, and looks like your bike has a loose vagina.

Attachments

#17 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, looks like I will pick up the Blaster-X as soon as I can to get rid of the turn signals.

Maybe If I don't feel too safe with the integrated ones I will go with the JL Designs turn signals, they look quite stealthy!

Thanks!

#19 ·
Blaster-X with JL Design turn signals here. I don't use the integrated signals in the Blaster-X tail light because from a far (cager's vision) can't really tell whether blinking left or right plus with the hazards on it's one blob of amber. I like the brightness of the Blaster-X plus it's multi-blink function when the brakes are applied to alert whomever behind you.

Dara

#26 ·
So to update this thread... I linked up with the owner of JL Designs today. What began as a general group of emailed questions to the company as a whole, ended with a 45 minute conversation on direct cell phones. After that conversation, I was insanely impressed with not only the products, but also the mind(s) behind the products.

With that said, I will be doing a full spread of product testing with all of their products. They are scheduled to be delivered Friday, and I plan to have them on Saturday. I expect to come back with some pretty impressive results. I'm looking forward to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.