Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Austin Racing Belly Pan

11K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  elevens 
#1 · (Edited)
You guys corrupted me. I used to be perfectly happy without a bellypan. Being a cheapskate, I went with the AR pan. It ain't for everybody, and not as nice as others I've seen and the fit was not great. I had to stretch it out a bit to fit the old cat. converter hanger mounting holes. The kickstand interfered with the pan so I had to dimple the pan. It's made of unpainted brushed aluminum. It has a sheen that doesn't match the silver header pipe covers on each side of the bike. Even so, I like it better than running bare. Can't stand looking at the bike w/o a belly pan! I've already removed the AR pan and the header covers to paint them black. I think that will improve the look down under and hide the dirt better. It was a bit of a gamble, but it fits over my M4 cat elim. pipe just fine.

While buying AR, I picked up one of their gas caps. Nice! I paid $196 for both w/ free shipping.

:fork

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
It is a heat shield that looks really out of place on the R1. I like the Locomoto MKII but since I don't track my R1 (have a trackbike) I can't justify spending $415 on it. I like the post-cat removal look especially because of my sexy Akrapović and mid-pipe blueing. To each their own as been said!

#21 ·
I painted the two silver header shields and the AR belly pan (official name is "Belly Pan Cover Plate") in a heat resistant low gloss black and they turned out GREAT. The appearance on the bike went from "looks better than a big hole" to "looks good" (IMO of course, YMMV, yada yada). Even so, I'm probably going to fleebay the AR as the Lactomoto (lol) is now in-stock at SBU so I ordered up last night, in carbon twill weave to match the R1M ghetto chrome (carbon). They've been on at least a 4-week back-order for a long time until now and that's waaay too long to wait up here in the short season northern sticks. Thanks a lot you guys for spending my money for me :eek5: When I opened up my wallet, a moth flew out. Maybe I'll post up some pics of the black stuff for thread posterity and all future generations to enjoy for years to come :bsflag:

#22 ·
Good choice the Locomoto MKII slim looks really good! I made the mistake of going into the Rims thread and now guess who will be spending $1999 on rims I did not think would make more than an appearance change on this bike. These stock rims are not all that great. Do a follow up pics with the Locomoto.

#26 · (Edited)
A few pics of the AR belly pan (sic) painted - like it was meant to be. It looks better than unfinished - DOH! I could live with this, nevertheless looking forward to my new Lactomoto skinnyl pan on the way. Hope it don't melt like the Termi did to the carbon pan on my Ducati (even with insulated heat tape). If only they would've called the Lacomoto pan a "heat shield", we'd probably be safe.

Attachments

#33 ·
This post is for future generations who are looking for info on the AR belly pan (sic). Anybody who installs one of these, beware. The instructions photo shows the pan attached to the outside of the mounting hole on the left side. Don't do it. Mount it on the inside. I followed directions and had to dimple the pan for it to clear the sidestand, as well as stretch (bend) the pan out slightly. Luckily the dimple doesn't show when it was remounted on the inside of the mounting hole. So much for following directions.

On a side note, my Lactomoto BELLY PAN will arrive tomorrow. Hope it lives up to the hype!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.