Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

First Yamaha

988 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  yamaharandy 
#1 ·
Hey group,
This is my first Yamaha that I bought to develope into a race bike over the winter. I've been racing a 08 cbr 1000 for 7 years now and I thought it was time to move on. Today I did a track day on the r1in street trim and can tell with a little work is going to be awesome. But here's the issue, on the last session I noticed the sc light, and an orange light and a check engine appear. The bike seemed to run fine but when I came in I can't access any of the menus on the dash. When I got home I noticed the number 42 next to the check engine light. Is my research correct that it's a wheel sensor? And if so is it normal to not be able to access the menu while there is a fault code up?
Thanks in advance .

#9 · (Edited)
Welcome to yamaha bikes. Youre going to like this. The computer has built in diagnostics. You can clear them yourself, look up fault codes or run various tests.
Download the free service manual in the sticky post above and look in the fi chapter. I forget what page its on. It will show you how to erase them. Basically, once in diagnostic mode, you will scroll to the diagnostic code that erases fault codes and flip the kill switch on off.
Usually once you fix an issue the code stops displaying. However it is stored in the fault cide history which you can see in diagnostic mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.