Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

How good is the new R1?

4K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  MotoMillion 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I've been away from this forum for quite a few Years now!!, mostly as I've been( sorry to say) owning other bikes :p.

Anyway I'd really like to hear what the new R1 is like from actual owners. I've currently got a 2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC with a Full Akra system and Race ECU and to be honest as motorcycles go it's near perfect, the chassis and handling is just so good!! not to mention the way the V4 powers out of corners-had an S1K before it and much prefer the Aprilia.
I'm looking at getting a new bike later this Year or perhaps waiting for early 2017 to see what the new Fireblade is like.
I've heard the new R1 is pretty special handling wise too, the electronics on it sound great but they sound complicated to use?.

I think it will probably be between the R1 an RSV4 RF, ZX10R or the long overdue new Fireblade when I do change.

#2 ·
Newb here. Had to look up what a fireblade is. So that being said and you know know the depth of my knowledge, i say go with the R1. Although that ZX10 looks cracking.

#15 ·
2. Stock just about all other brands can out run it. (Needs a flash and custom mapping)
Not in Europe

One other minor thing--there is zero storage on this bike--not even a place for your registration info.
Maybe close to zero but not zero, perhaps it's different on the M model? I figure I can have some extra smoke in here :)

Attachments

#11 ·
There is a thread on here somewhere about what you would change about the new R1--I think it pretty well sums up the shortcomings of the bike. For me, the throttle mapping is a joke. For sure plan on a flash and tuning work for the bike to be smooth. Different brake pads will help.

One other minor thing--there is zero storage on this bike--not even a place for your registration info.

Beyond this, the bike is fantastic. The electronics are not too complicated. I have the M and it did take some time to figure out the data logger.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#14 ·
As with any bike, the modifications never end. But off the showroom floor, you need at least an ECU flash. If you add and exhaust, you need custom mapping or go the auto tuner route. Then the front brakes need better pads, I added a Brembo RCS19 too. The stock damper is also in need of being replaced for many of us. It depends on your needs but this bike is a solid performer. You see alot of R1s being used for racing. Not many R1m.

#16 ·
I had the RSV4 along with my R1 and the contrast is noticeable. If the RSV4 has soul, the R1 is the terminator. The Ape still feels like you're riding a motorcycle and the R1 is very digital for lack of a better description. If "slow is fast" then R1 is that, the RSV4 is a bit more entertaining to ride when you're not trying to push it hard..

#17 ·
Have a 2015 R1, had a 2010 pre-APRC RSV4 Factory couple of bikes ago.

My opinions without involving the electronics:

The RSV4 has got the better chassis.
The R1M (or the R1 base model equipped with aftermarket suspension) has got the better suspension.
The RSV4 has got the better engine for low and midrange.
The R1 has got the better engine for the top.
The RSV4 is the more exotic package.
But the R1 is for sure the more reliable package.

#18 ·
Phenomenal. Couldn't be happier with having an R1M in my stable.

Now that I've paid her off, I'm quietly waiting for the RVF1000 to drop in (hopefully) '18.

That said, I'd never part with my R1. Temperamental like an exotic with build quality like a Japanese. Never a dull moment as it makes it quite clear it doesn't like dull moments, haha. Doesn't get much better.

#19 ·
Phenomenal... I'd never part with my R1. Temperamental like an exotic with build quality like a Japanese. .
That right there.

Only one little thing I would add is that the R1 can be run around town all civilized like a little Honda Civic (I know, sacrilege. But Yamaha doesn't build grocery-getter cars) yet crank her up and - Holy Hell!

#21 ·
If you think the R1 storage space is limited, try owning the RSV4. There is no storage space. I will be impessed if you get your credit card into the "room" under the passenger seat.

Part of the reason I mentioned the RSV4 Factory as a better chassis is the adjustability. They come (at least they used to do) with adjustable swingarm pivot and adjustable engine mounts. Nothing a streetbiker will or should ever use, but these bikes are certainly more prepared for Superstock as well as Superbike racing than the R1.

#23 ·
I think if people are arguing the toss about storage space???? on an R1, thats gotta say it all as to how good it is.

Also everybody changes the exhaust, at least on here i think they do! and drop the Cat. If there are quicker bikes, maybe in a straight line, but not overall. There are very few people who can ride a 15 R1 to its maximum, no matter what they say. These bikes now, they are just fantastically good. I always laugh when i see reviews on You Tube etc, where the guy accelerates from about 50mph to 85 or so and screams "Man its so quick" "Holy crap!" and is always riding in a straight line because so many roads in the U.S don't have corners. Not criticism, its just funny

#24 ·
Also i would add people say you need to flash the ECU, do this do that, the RSV4 is a fantastic bike and you mention you've changed exhaust and race ECU in your question. I've done all of that stuff as well, dyno custom map, Brembo, rearsets, just so much stuff, and really expensive, but i think really its because its fun to do, personalises our bikes and you go and look at your bike and think "thats the business!" But was the performance good enough before we did all that? Of course it was! Do my expensive Gilles Tooling rear sets feel better under my boots in all honesty? No, they feel the same. Ive done this kind of thing with all my bikes as a lot of us do, but truth is that straight out of the crate for 99.999% of riders the performance was already fantastic

Finally, obviously the R1 is the finest super bike there is as it has just won Suzuka 8 hours 2 years in a row, doesn't get to be a harder test than that! :)

#30 ·
The older model RSV4(pre 2015) was a little down on power compared to other litre bikes- mine is making about 168 at the wheel with a full Akra system and race ECU, it was definately dropping a good 15 BHP to the S1000RR I had before it BUT I'm still faster on it, its handling is amazing and the engine is great too. The new 2015 RSV4 RF is a heavily revised bike, it's lighter and the engine has been changed a fair amout too, it now makes 201 BHP at the crank stock. I've heard the new R1 having its characteristics in terms of handling and the way the engine is called similar to the RSV4, which is a compliment, not to mention the rider aids have been said to be the best in the class too, I think if it's between the R1 and an RSV4 RF I will probably go for an R1, I've not owned one for a while, it's better value for money, the RF colour scheme isn't nearly as pretty as the old Factory one, and from what I've gathered the engine is very V4 like, which after having one, I'm not sure I could go back to a traditional I4, but am waiting to see if Honda actually come out with anything decent first, only got a couple of riding months left this Year and the Aprilia is still up to the job :D.

#34 ·
agreed with most of the above. basically all the little things ppl would change are small quality of life things, at the core of them, if you think about it.

cat delete/mid pipe/ecu flash tune.. sort out that on/off throttle response. it can be pretty bad on this bike sometimes. honestly, you wont notice it AS MUCH on the track cuz youre heavy into the gas alot with the slide control to carry yer ass for you and 'rossi' you out of the corner, but even so.. haha.

the electronics are not that complicated. rtfm?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.