Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Updates for 2017 R1

22K views 67 replies 25 participants last post by  Banky 
#1 ·
Hi Guys! First blog here so be kind...
I am looking at getting the new R1 after owning a few in the past... Seeing them in the flesh is great but it's that time of year in wondering if I should hold off for any updates.
Whilst I don't expect any major updates I'm kind of hoping they'll have a more traditional blue Yammy design.
Can anyone sheds one light on 17 models? Has there been any chatter on new colours? Fairing change? Maybe that full lower road cowl?
Anyway, love the chat on here, cheers

#5 ·
the bike posted above is really nice. sup with those chicken strips, dont you ppl RIDE your bikes? haha. anyway, if the r6 is any indication the r1 wont get much love for a while, not that it needs it. its already the overall best pick in various categories as it stands..

get yourself a good deal on a bike, kit it out as you see fit, take it to the track, live happily ever after. forget the rest.

#6 ·
Guaranteed, the only difference between the 2016 and 2017 model will be BNG. And maybe some minor, non-performance related updates and part number changes and even more manufacturing outsourced to cheaper suppliers (= nothing the regular customer will ever be aware of).

#16 ·
Hi Guys! First blog here so be kind...
I am looking at getting the new R1 after owning a few in the past... Seeing them in the flesh is great but it's that time of year in wondering if I should hold off for any updates.
Whilst I don't expect any major updates I'm kind of hoping they'll have a more traditional blue Yammy design.
Can anyone sheds one light on 17 models? Has there been any chatter on new colours? Fairing change? Maybe that full lower road cowl?
Anyway, love the chat on here, cheers
Something along the lines of this...?

-John
John no to get off topic or P in your pocket but your bike is incredible! Exactly what I want!!
Do you have a link to a build on it or more info?
Is that race glass on the street? I have so many questions lol

#20 ·
John no to get off topic or P in your pocket but your bike is incredible! Exactly what I want!!
Do you have a link to a build on it or more info?
Is that race glass on the street? I have so many questions lol
Thanks for the compliment Stevieboy. Its stock/OEM plastics(purchased a second set) and had them painted to match the rest of the blue and the graphics were done by Chris @ Drippin Wet. The lower is a Lacomoto MKII street bellypan.

-John

Attachments

#17 ·
Honestly I wouldn't look for many if any changes. If anything it will be new color options IE bold new graphics and minor details. The days of the 1k class 2 year changes seem to be gone. I think IMO Yamaha have been focusing on the R6 this year. Several race teams have been wanting an upgrade in regards to electronics , suspension, and chassis. So we shall see. Anyone going to the AIM expo in Orlando in October ?

#22 ·
The days of the 1k class 2 year changes seem to be gone.
Exactly.

The sales of 1k hypersport bikes is way down compared to the beginning and the mid of the 2000's. The manufacturers can no longer make money out of them if they have to invest massive development costs every second year. I would say it's safe to assume a life cycle of 5-6 years nowadays. The only thing you will possibly see in between is updates that does not require development cost.

Also, I am honestly surprised if Yamaha is bringing a new R6 for 2017. The sales of this class is a joke compared to before. I have heard rumors about world wide sales of less than 100 R6's per year, which would be like twenty times less compared to the general 1k bike. NOBODY wants them as streetbikes anymore and the number of Supersport / Superstock race bikes built every year is...well, less than 100. For instance, Honda is confirmed to seize production of their CBR600 in a year or two.

#24 · (Edited)
everyone said the same thing about the gsxr 750 yet suzuki still produces it. nothing special abou it, just a copy of the 600 and 1000. but they still make it.

I think honda doesn't really want to make motorcycles anymore. they have not done anything with any of their bike's in many years. now they're rumored to kill off the 600rr. maybe making robots is more fun for them.

a company that becomes complacent and offers no new products usually die off in the long run. this is basic economics. you have to keep innovating new products. cough cough yamaha R6....however yamaha seems like they have produced more new bikes than everyone else. they have a crap load of new street bikes

#35 · (Edited)
Ducati sold the most motorcycles last year. More than HD. It's funny because most of the people I know who own them only purchase them for the image. It all I every hear people talk about. Even people who don't ride and know nothing about motorcycles always talk about the Ducati supposedly being the best motorcycle. Who's spreading those rumors.

Ha, I knew an officer in the Army who purchased a $20,000 Pani for his first bike ever and totaled it a weak later.

I know another guy who bought an RSV4 RF and wrecked with less than 1,000 miles. It was also his first bike. The bike is sitting in his garage. Not sure what he did with the insurance money.

So sick of people buying bikes because of the "image" or because they are suppose to be the "most powerful".

Motorcycles are now Honda’s third-largest business segment, both in revenue and profits……

#27 ·
Even though it was not a completely new bike, the 2015 S1000RR received a number of essential updates that made it a lot better than the previous bike. Kind of an offense towards everybody that purchased the 2014 HP4. The 2015 base model was a better bike at much less money...

#37 ·
Ducatis got a huge line so im not surprised they sold the most but i wonder how much of that percentage was the 959/1299. Ducatis have always had the stigma of being the holy grail in the motorcycle world and same goes for the non motorcycle world. When we first got into riding we knew nothing about ducs but we all felt we wanted one because they were so hyped and the fact they started at $30k for a base 999 added to the whole awww factor.

Hate it or love it but i would say a big majority of people buy for the image/power, I know i did :grin2: No one needs a liter bike for the streets. My farts smell like a freshly bloomed rose when im on my 1199 no lie.

#41 ·
I feel embarrassed to say this but I currently have a Harley. I'd been racing R1's and Superbikes here in Aus for over a decade and when I quit I thought I'd get a Harley to enjoy riding on the road again without getting into trouble.
I spent a heap of money on it and it's "cool" but I never ride it. I thought I'd get more into the Harley thing but it's just not me. I'm about to sell it hence me starting this thread to work out if I should wait for a 17 model.
But I have to say, as much as we laugh about people buying stuff because of marketing and image, those guys realistically are the bulk of the industry. They keep the industry going and that's a good thing!
The reality is most people that buy a liter bike couldn't ride a 600 to its capacity let alone a Supeebike but that's ok.
When I first ride a little bike it was a 99 R1 and it was a scary scary beast. It demanded respect. Now days I'd argue a liter bike are amongst the safest bikes you could twist the throttle on.
Anyway I ramble off point, but I will be putting money down on the new 17 bike, for a mix of most road and track use.
Bring on any news as it comes to be known!!

#42 ·
It's all good. I had a moment of stupidity in 2014 when I totalled my 2012 R1. I decided to keep my track bike (11 ZX6R) and buy a Harley to take a breather and get more on the track less on the street. I bought a 2012 Fat Boy Lo, and did a stage 3 kit, LED upgrades few hundred here and there and guess what. I sat on the 2015 R1 at the Javits show. I also did not ride the Harley much due to most of my friends still on sportbikes, I dragged that Harley through every turn and just generally did not enjoy it. Before my trackbike went full race fairings, no lights and race tires I was taking that bike out on the street. 6 Months later I sold the Harley and I picked up the 2015 in Raven. Coincidentally, I totalled it in a freak low side during 1 hot day in December last year. I pushed the insurance adjuster to total it because of the recall and honestly it had 8500 miles in just one season. What does that tell you about it? I have the 16 Matte grey and am finishing my second season on the new R1. I promised myself this winter since I opted not to buy the 16 R1M I would do a full Öhlins install. Anyway.... dump the Harley. Especially with the EPA Lawsuit they just got slapped with, tuning Harleys will be very difficult for the next year or so. Good luck with your decision!

#49 ·
Yep I looked at the RSV4rr yesterday and for me it's between that and the R1. I'm a bit busted from surgery at the moment so I can't test ride for a month or so but on looks and feel alone the Aprilia is telling me to but it! Cockpit feels roomier on the Yamaha. I'm sure I could t but a bad bike of the two of them but so unsure...

#50 ·
Do yourself a favor and peek at the RSV4 forums. The new motor is having teething problems. It's interesting because it's the same teething problems the old motor had.

From what I've gathered, you should do a valve adjustment at 600 miles, then continual valve adjustments every few thousand miles, as a preventative maintenance measure to keep the motor in good health.

There are also some heated people for choosing aprilia and losing out on a majority of a season because their bikes keep breaking down.

I encourage you to do more research and weigh your options carefully.

#54 ·
Mate I really appreciate your advice. That is my biggest concern with the Aprilia. I have looked at some forums but mainly it's in regard to the older models. Some particular problems around gearbox. Without riding them whilst I'm currently busted the Aprilia has my heart, but sitting on the Yamaha did have a familiar R1 feeling that was great.
Speaking to the tech that sells both the Aprilia and Yamaha at the dealership he said no such issues with the 16 models.
Of course, not sure if there was any bias as he owns a 16 Tuono after and older one.
Anyway I take your point on board totally. But that's my biggest concern with going the Aprilia route.

#52 · (Edited)
The day I gave myself a change to gawk at the RSV4 and learn about its power delivery and handling, I fell in love and I was sure no one is changing my mind about buying it, that's it! Then, I loiter in the Apriliaforums and after a month or so I pickup the phone and call my Yamaha dealer I'm like do you have any 2014 R1s left?

Really, I love everything about the Aprilia, absolutely everything (chassis, engine, aesthetics, ergonomics, handling) but I won't let a bike prevent me from riding whenever I want to. I'd gladly take a Japanese bike any day over a Ducati or Aprilia because of reliability.

I used to love Ducatis but when I came to the realization of how maintenance heavy and failure prone they are I actually started hating them, telling people they're all show and are literally mechanical pieces of shit that are about to fail any second now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.