Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Stolen bike

9K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  Torchsport 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I know that this isn't a performance post but my bike was stolen out of my garage last night. If there is anybody at all that lives on Long Island I'd really appreciate if you can keep an eye out for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
Where on Long Island chief? Words of advice thowe a garage door is only one minimal part of defense those theifs will come up to the door with a specialty tent that blocks light and cut threw with a torch if they can't get the door open which you should have a hole drilled in the track and have padlocks so the door can not be opened from the outside so after that if they choose the torch method you have to combat that with motion sensor alarms and and Pewag security chain anchored threw the floor somehow threw your wheel or somewhere else on the bike that requires time to deal with so they can't do a grab and go basically make it take enough time so they can't get it before you get out there or the cops come if your not home.keep a dog in there I got two shepherd that sleep in my garage ex k9's.either all that or spend the average $6000 a year for comprehensive covergage

#11 ·
Very very sorry to hear OP. Hopefully you can find something through eBay and craigslist. Be sure to check craigslist for at least a 300 mile radius for R1 parts.

Comprehensive is for fire, theft, flood, vandalism. Collision is for the cost to repair or replace the bike if wrecked while operating the motorcycle. Liability and property damage are to cover yourself if you cause someone else bodily harm or property damage. Out of the three, liability is usually cheaper, depending on how much you insure yourself for. Next cheapest is comprehensive. Collision for the R1 is ridiculous for some and super cheap for others.

#14 ·
How did they get into your garage? Did they do the clothes hangar to Emergency handle thing? Pry it open? Hack the code?

I live in a pretty safe area, and I always thought the garage door with no windows would be good enough security... Sounds like some thieves are ballsy up there. Here break ins are pretty rare because we can shoot people for that and everyone in Kentucky has guns.

#16 ·
How did they get into your garage? Did they do the clothes hangar to Emergency handle thing? Pry it open? Hack the code?

I live in a pretty safe area, and I always thought the garage door with no windows would be good enough security... Sounds like some thieves are ballsy up there. Here break ins are pretty rare because we can shoot people for that and everyone in Kentucky has guns.

They broke through my back door on it and then pried my main door open to get it out. My garage is detached from my house.

#19 ·
Excellent points.

I agree with thinking deeply about the possibility of it being more of an inside job. At 22 I had a few "friends" that might've pulled something like this. I'd be thinking of the latest made ones that would know you didn't have an alarm on the garage. Them using your tools to cut the lock speaks volumes, too. They were really comfortable.

Really sad. So sorry for you!

#20 ·
Hearing stories like this really hurt my head.

Again... If this or any story like this helps the argument for you, this is yet another good reason to put a theft recovery device in your bike. You are 88 percent more likely to recover your bike in the event of a theft if you have one versus when you do not.

Also, theft insurance is dramatically cheaper when you tell insurance company you have one installed. Most of the units alert you via emails and texts, and the units or their service Subscriptions pay for themselves in 6 months time with the money you will save.

I ride in NY, so if I see it I will do what I can to help you out. Nice looking bike also! Sorry..

#21 ·
I'm not sure if this thread is still alive but I've got updates. The bike has been seen in copiague NY a few times. If there is anybody out there that lives near there please keep your eyes and ears peeled. We all know how these crossplane R1's sound.

#24 ·
I was getting quoted 3-5k per year for the 15+ R1. ****ing nuts. So I have comprehensive and liability only. I'm covered if the bikes is stolen, vandalized, fire, theft, flood, etc. I pay $500 per year for that.

#39 ·
Collision can be high on a sport bike and a younger rider. Good idea to carry theft and of course the required liability.

A while back, just for kicks I called my insurance agent for a insurance quote on a '16 R1. I forget the exact number but it was just over $400 a year, full coverage. You young guys in the big city get hosed!

#30 ·
So is it safe to say most NY NJ riders with new bikes dont have full coverage? Sucks for the young guys who have to finance because the insurance payments alone will be equal to the loan payments

I would pay that to be able to ride year round in perfect weather and access to some of the sickest roads around. I pay just over $400 full coverage a year for my 1199 but my riding season is at most 2 months if that once you factor in the winter and summer rain

#26 ·
yeah SD sucks, i had a cbr600 stolen in 2012 in the north county area, then my 2015 r1 jacked in santee this past summer. bullshit, i tell ya.. and we all know damn well most of these bikes get taken over the border =/

best of luck to OP, hopefully they find the bike and lock up anyone whos anywhere near the damn thing. thieves should get punched in the nuts repeatedly.

#32 ·
Florida has a lot of motorcycle thefts because of year round riding. Super bike insurance is expensive here. The thing you need most is comprehensive. You don't want to be stuck paying payments for a bike you don't have (happen to my cousin a month after he financed a new GSXR). It is one thing if you wreck your bike and it sits in your garage and you have to fix it and still make payments. It is entirely a different animal if you don't even have the bike anymore and you are still making payments.

#34 ·
Gap coverage varies by state, as does all insurance benefits. Ordinary gap coverage only applies if you wreck the bike and it is totaled and you are upside down on the loan (you owe more than it is worth). The Gap coverage only acts to fill the gap between what the bike was worth when totaled vs. what you owe on it. So it will help some, but not that much if you don't have collision on the motorcycle. Some states extend Gap coverage to fire, theft, flood, vandalism, etc. Bottom line is, if you cannot afford to pay for collision and comprehensive, just get comprehensive. Interestingly Florida does not require you to carry insurance on a motorcycle. The option is left open to the finance company i believe, but there is not a state requirement so long as you have medical insurance or alternative, wear a helmet.

#36 ·
I actually had the cheapest insurance with by far the best coverage from AAA but you have to be a member and have a decent driving record to have their insurance. I can't even imagine not having full coverage on my M. I park it and walk away never worry. I put it in my underground for winter under the cover about a month ago haven't bothered to check on it yet. If it gets stolen ill just buy another one I insured the bike for full OTD price and all the goodies on it so brand new one it is and if they recover mine smashed then ill buy it back and have a track bike too. Insurance can be expensive but what's peace of mind worth?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.