Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2016 R1 high engine temp?

10K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  TheLeanMachine 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I was idling with my girlfriends 2016 yellow 60th anniversary bike when I noticed hers get considerably hotter than mine for some reason.

It was pushing 230F / 110C when I decided to shut it down for safety reasons, outside temp was about 63F / 17C.
I had just started it and I simply left it idling for a few minutes so I wasn't on the throttle while it was idling or anything like that..

Also, her R1 had drained the battery in the course of about 1 week in the garage, did she leave it in parking by mistake or are the 2016s also plagued by the ECU power draining issue?

Thanks

#5 ·
You could change the coolant to a distilled water/Mocool package. That's going to bring it down/ slow the increase in temperature

Or you could use Evans Coolant, seems like a pretty good option too, that thing does not contain water therefore boils at a much higher temp !

#20 ·
R1 Electronics are Fine, but Park will drain battery

The electronics are fine, I was accidently leaving mime in the park setting, instead of lock and it will drain the battery. The lock setting will not drain the battery. I'm also saving about 50 lbs (slight exaggeration...I know) by running a Antigravity battery, no problems once I paid attention to turning the key off to the correct position.

On a separate note, your girlfriend rides an R1?!?!? (Totally jealous, dude)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.