Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2017 YZF-R1 Released Today

40K views 144 replies 60 participants last post by  Budgie Smuggler 
#1 ·
#30 · (Edited)
I like the earlier M way better. Less branding, a little more understated in the color scheme, and way more carbon fiber in the fairings.

The black looks better than the blue on the base, imho. But I have been partial to the raven since release. I think the body lines work extremely well with black, or anything monochromatic for that matter.

That cat must've grown, because it seems to me that it's bigger. I may be wrong, but that's what it looks like.

Overall impression is lukewarm. Hope they are smart enough to crank out a few more special edition paint schemes en liu of the anniversary edition to help motivate those on the fence.

#36 ·
Those colours are SO much nicer than the older models!
Interesting to see the launch was at Sydney with the MotoGP team and it looks like Bradley Smith testing it. (how good are your eyes).
My question is this...
The MotoGP guys haven't tested at Philip Island so WHY would they send the MotoGp team all the way here, with Bradley Smith (I am assuming in the summer break) unless there actually IS some new stuff in it? It doesn't make sense? Why wouldn't they do it over in Europe?
There are a lot of prying eyes here in Australia but I sense not as bad as Euro tracks.
Seems like a lot of effort though for just a sticker update, don't you think?

#42 ·
Except for two italianos and one belgique, the Valentino Rossi crew are aussies anyway, so it would not be too difficult to arrange the photo shoot between GP's. But that is not Bradley Smith. He would never be allowed to wear a Shark helmet in official pictures and nowadays he is useless for Yamaha marketing anyway since he is leaving for KTM.

Still, I have a feeling those pictures were taken very long ago...These paintjobs is nothing Yamaha thought about last week. Some pictures were probably taken / rendered / photo shopped already when they took the pictures of the 2015 bikes...I would say it's safe to assume they know what paint jobs they are going to use 3-5 years from now.

Regarding the cat, please keep in mind it is painted silver in the static marketing pictures. In real world it will look like the mahoosive rusty / brownish box it really is...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.