Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2015+ R1 Magnesium Wheels

13K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  yamaharandy 
#1 ·
Hey guys I just picked a 2016 Matte R1 a few weeks ago. I am not a track junkie (though I'd like to be) I will be doing mostly canyon rides with an occasional ride to work (maybe once a week if that). I've read online and have been told that riding the bike with the mag wheels is a bad idea because they are so easy to bend and chip. I live in the Los Angeles area so the roads around here are pretty messed up sometimes. What are your experiences with the mag wheels and how do you clean them? I was thinking about buying the wheel plan at the dealer which takes care of the wheels and tires if I damage them because of road hazards.

#2 ·
No issues with the magnesium wheels and I guarantee my roads here in the Detroit Metro area are way worse then yours in LA. I clean them with pledge/plexus/honda polish and a microfiber towel.

#6 ·
The only wheels I see that have a little bit of issue cleaning is my 60th anniversary wheels. They do not have a gloss finished coating like the rest of the 15/16 mag wheels which is a bit harder to clean the chain lube off and also prone to fade or rub off if using a harsh wheel cleaning chemical along with a harsh brush.

#11 ·
Well WD-40 is 80% solvent (mostly mineral spirits) so to use it as a solvent, fine. What cracks me up is when people use it as a lubricant. Who, in their right mind, would use mineral spirits as a lubricant? Very poor choice for that purpose. In fact, it likely will wash any "real" lubricant away that was already there, and in a few days the WD-40 evaporates and you have metal-on-metal.

#15 ·
They why did my original chain on my bike last for 10 years, LOL. I didn't even change it due to stretch or wear, only to change to a 520 with different gear ratios.

It's been proved that WD-40 doesn't hurt chains. I use it to clean mine often and I use chain lube after the fact. but on my dirt chain(non-oring) i don't put anything on it. I just clean it really good immediately after use. Chain lube attracts dirt and it just clings to it. which is terrible for a chain.
I also replace my dirt chain regularly since Non O-ring chains are cheap.
Why does this subject come up so often, doesn't anyone do any research!!!!

Honda polish and plexus are my go to for cleaning the bike. I use Motul chain cleaner to clean the chain.
Love both products.

Plexus works.
Yes it does....

#12 ·
It's been proved that WD-40 doesn't hurt chains. I use it to clean mine often and I use chain lube after the fact. but on my dirt chain(non-oring) i don't put anything on it. I just clean it really good immediately after use. Chain lube attracts dirt and it just clings to it. which is terrible for a chain.
I also replace my dirt chain regularly since Non O-ring chains are cheap.

#26 ·
So, I've got a question about cleaning the rims. The day I rode the bike home it had all that white chain grease and of course it is applied thickly at the factory. It got flung all over the damn place. I've been trying to get rid of it from my rims ever since. Now I know it's been awhile but i have tried a few things and then got scared.

The few things i have tried (simple green, tiny bit of kerosene which i used on other bikes with success following by rinsing and washing thoroughly) I got a little blue (from the wheels) on the rag I was using, so of course stopped. I've used elbow grease and it just seems like I can't some spots out.

What is safe on wheels that won't take the blue finish off besides elbow grease? WD-40? Plexus? This is the first bike that has this grease on there and I just can't seem to get it off and I like my wheels clean. I really wish they would have "clear coated" the wheels.

#27 ·
WD40 directly on to a rag so you don't spray your rotors. Wipe, let sit for X minutes and then wipe clean. I will say I spray on the chain side since it's rotor is fairly far away. As for the inside the spokes, **** it. That's a once a year winter cleaning when I take it all apart for inspection.

#28 ·
I've never had a no fling chain lube actually not fling off no matter how it was applied or how long it sat before use. There was always fling off. I gave up on using lube and just wiping down the bike with wd40 after each ride and I have not shown any excessive wear or issues since doing this. Now, if this means I'm changing a sprocket and chain a couple thousand miles earlier than I could after using a "quality" lube then so be it since it'll be well worth not dealing with the hassle of fling off and cleaning lube off of every area of the bike except the chain. Since there are no articles or safety warnings about using wd40 and catastrophic failure I think we can agree that at best you're saving yourself the hassle of the extra clean up and at worst you could be having to change sprockets and the chain a little earlier than you would using a lube so it just comes down to which is more important to you.

#30 ·
Im not sure if you are referring to my post about chain lube flinging all over, but as I mentioned in the post, if you read it correctly, it was from the factory the first day I rode it home from the dealership. I would never apply that much chain lube myself. It comes like that from the factory. I'm still fighting to get that stuff off from the first day riding it home. Just wanted to clear that up.

#34 ·
Simoniz Bug and Tar Remover is great for cleaning wheels. It also leaves them nice and shiny so they're easier to clean next time. If they are really dirty, then I'll wipe them with CRC 5-56 first.

It's probably a good chain lube as well but I haven't tried it yet.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.