Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Power 1 or Power 2 - HP and Top end difference between the two?

15K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Joe Salemi 
#1 ·
I just purchased my 2016 R1 and was wondering if there is a difference with setting it to Power 1 or Power 2 in terms of horsepower or top end power??

I know that power 1 feels very snatchy/abrupt and power 2 seems smoother on/off throttle. Just wondering if I keep it on power 2 always, will I be getting same top end rush as power 1?

Thanks in advance for the info...

Miguel
60th R1

#10 ·
Honestly soon as you flash the ECU, PWR 1 is smooth as butter like the others!

#11 ·
#12 ·
thats bizarre. there should be no difference, maybe theres a software error causing that. all the different modes do is change the roll-on characteristics, but once you really get up there, all the different lines on the proverbial graph tie together so at pretty high rpm, it should be the same. according to that test, its definitely not. id be VERY curious to know what yamaha says about that. i leave my bike in pwr2 all the time. its a little on/off, yes, but i use the rear brake to deal with that, if needed.

#17 ·
Mine has the SBU flash and Motion Pro throttle with the race cam. I think I prefer pwr 2. Pwr 1 is smooth enough now (not as smooth as pwr 2) but the intervention of the lift control is too abrupt at the rate the front lifts in pwr 1. I don't have much seat time in pwr 1 so my preference may change over time. It'll be next spring before I'm able to get it on track to see if there are any differences with the lap times.

#18 ·
The Woolich is fairly new to me, but the things I've learned as I've played around so far. All of the power modes are the same engine map unfortunately, as was mentioned it's the throttle sensitivity that changes and nothing more. - the "dyno mode," I believe is the same as the "wheel speed fault code elimination," found within the Woolich. It basically just stops the system from monitoring those features and tripping a light, not much else involved with that one. Finally, the biggest factor in smoothing out the throttle response for me on/off throttle was eliminating fuel cut. Letting it gas, makes the on/off transitions so so much smoother and will be a blessing on track.

#22 ·
My son has a 2016 R1 with one of your flashes, running a mid pipe and Yoshi can. This bike is very twitchy and prior owner said to keep it in mode 4 with it being least twitchy. It also pops a little on deceleration. Son is using the bike for canyon and tracking, mostly tracking. Is the twitchiness unusual for a R1? Since you work for SBU I would think if anybody should know it should be you!
Thank You

#23 ·
My son has a 2016 R1 with one of your flashes, running a mid pipe and Yoshi can. This bike is very twitchy and prior owner said to keep it in mode 4 with it being least twitchy. It also pops a little on deceleration. Son is using the bike for canyon and tracking, mostly tracking. Is the twitchiness unusual for a R1? Since you work for SBU I would think if anybody should know it should be you!
Thank You
I dont work for SBU. I run a legal dispensery in CA.
But what you describe is the tune I have. Pw1 is agressive with throttle imput. 4 is the
most linear of the maps and I enjoy that the most. Decel pops are common with this mapping.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#26 ·
May run into you some day. My son and I lover the track since we liver in San Diego being so close. Chuckwalla was the track for us for a few years but the drive is a killer, we rent a cottage the night before and still kicks our behind when driving back from a track day.
Thank You
Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.