Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Captive Wheel Spacers?

14K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  BooBooSS 
#1 ·
hey everyone. I haven't posted in a while, but does anyone run captive wheel spacers? I have found that Driven, Graves and Fast Frank makes them? I can't decide which ones to go with. I was wondering if anyone has put them on there bikes and how they hold up and if they have any pictures of them before they were put on and after being used? I am tired of the spacers falling out when I take my tire off. Thanks in advance for the input :thumbup

#5 ·
Has anyone seen and wear or damage on either the Driven or the Fast Frank? Thanks guys for the info

#8 ·
I have Fast frank for front and rear.

my only complaint is you have to take them out to balance tires. But they come out easy enough without going back in loose so it's really a mute point. For a street guy that isn't swapping tires often They are a great deal and the headache saved is totally worth it.

#18 ·
#22 ·
Here is the low down on wheel spacers..

We at Graves use 7075 T6 billet aluminum and then finish in black anodize.This compared to 6061 costs 3x more if you use a Chinese grade 7075 and 4x more if you use a USA made 7075 (which is way better and we do use). General reading will get you at an average of 7075 being about 80% stronger then most 6061 choices.

What happens when you use a softer metal is the spacer will crush on to the bearing. Over time the wheels lock up. I've seen common fixes to this by continuing to use softer metals and making the holes bigger which leads to failure in other places. Your wheels axles do not align correctly becoming a side loading time bomb and a setup nightmare.

These products in 7075 have been a staple in our race programs for years. They are tested on our race bikes, moved into consumer production and also sold through Graves Racing Services on turn key customer race bikes. I personally wouldn't trust my $25K plus bikes let alone see our company rubber stamp a sub par product just because it's cheaper but not something we'd use.. Just my .02 cents on the matter that I have a pretty good handle on...

#21 ·
The Fast Frank seem to be the best price from Superbikes Unlimited from what I have found so far

#33 ·
Fast Frank spacers rock. Their chamfered sides eliminate the possibility of the edges catching on the fork or swingarm and make wheel installation so easy, it's almost like cheating. A simple detail that other manufacturers might be wise to take a look at, and possibly incorporate into their own spacer designs. ;)

#26 ·
Reactions: BooBooSS
#31 ·
revisiting a recent thread, you guys made it easy as i've been wanting these suckers for my 09 R1.. Please see pm @SpidermanSS :fork

#34 · (Edited)
i figured as much, thank you :(

Fast Frank spacers rock. Their chamfered sides eliminate the possibility of the edges catching on the fork or swingarm and make wheel installation so easy, it's almost like cheating. A simple detail that other manufacturers might be wise to take a look at, and possibly incorporate into their own spacer designs. ;)
thanks for mentioning, they do manufacture 'em for my model R1.. i need these fvckers, by far my biggest pet peeve as i pile 'em miles on and tire changes are a PITA.

#36 ·
The Balancer has no way to hold them perfectly centered since they are only supported by the rubber wheel seal. Because of this they can float off center not giving a proper balance.

I questioned it as well but when my tire guy explained it made total sense. Same reason you don't balance with stock spacers.

#39 ·
Take your wheels off. Now put them back on. Now you get it. LOL

In all seriousness, the stock spacers are stuck in place with only grease and "sticktion". As soon as you try and put your wheel back on they simply pop out of place, making it a suuuuuuper pain in ass to re-install your wheel.

These spacers snap into place and are firmly held in place. This makes it much, much easier to re-install the wheels.

#44 ·
Well I had my first experience dealing with captive wheel spacers last night. I pulled the tires off and took them to my local race shop to have new tires put on and we tried to balance the rear tire (on a coats digital tire balancer) and couldnt get the tire to run true because of the spacer. So we tried to remove the Graves spacer and finally got it out taking the dust seal with it. Got the tire balanced then had to wrestle with the spacer to get the seal off (total finger workout btw). Then I struggled getting the spacer back into the seal without pushing the seal all the way against the bearing. Plus the ABS ring kept me from being able to manually push the seal down with the spacer in place. Finally after cleaning all the grease off I was able to finesse the spacer back into the seal with a slight twist and off angle approach.
It sucks knowing that I will have to do this everytime to balance the rear at the shop. Hopefully I will be able to twist the spacer out of the seal next time. I guess I'll be sure to order some extra seals to have on hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.