Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FGR on KYB forks?

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  SBK Unlimited 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I assume the seller is trying to sell a set of nitrogen pressurized Ohlins FGR cartridges that fit into the 2015-2017 base model front fork, which is made by KYB.

As the seller is pointing out, please notice that the nitrogen pressurized FGR cartridges were not available for the 2015-2017 R1. They were a previous generation that were replaced by the spring pressurized cartridges. Unfortunately, the nitrogen pressurized cartridges require quite a lot of attention compared to later generation cartridges.

#4 ·
Why doesn`t ohlins just make a pressurized kit for the kyb owners? just the nix catridges.
They do. They are called FGRR cartridge kits and they are identical to the damping systems used in some Ohlins Moto3 and Moto2 front forks. These cartridge kits are spring pressurized and they are better performing as well as easier to work on compared to the previous generation (nitrogen pressurized) FGR cartridge kits.

#6 ·
I don't know, but they are for sure not advertised through the normal channels as they are considered to be racing only equipment and they are also quite expensive compared to the streetbike stuff. Anyway, the part number that fits the 2015-2017 base model KYB front fork is FGRR505 and the part number that fits the 2015-2017 M-model Ohlins fork is FGRR506.

I would say the FGRR506 is much more common as most high level Superstock bikes appear to be based on the M-model.

#7 ·
That FGR 153 kit above is for a Honda, but it will fit into a KYB fork, or at least it's possible. I say that because one of our customers has that exact kit in his KYB R1 fork. I wonder if that's his kit.

FGRR 505 has been superceded by FGRR 605. Right now these parts are not available to the general public, but only to professional or seasoned expert racers. We have been testing the 505 and 605 kits on our team R1 bikes, they are a very nice kit and we have preferred them over the old gas kit. These are the style cartridge Graves and Yoshimura used in 2015/16 here.

This year we will be able to publicly offer the FGRR, but it will be under a different moniker which we're probably not allowed to release yet.

#8 ·
The "public" version of the FGRR cartridge kit will be called FKR.

The part number for the 2015-2017 R1 base model will be FKR102.
The part number for the 2015-2017 R1M will be FKR103.

These are the same cartridge kits as the FGRR cartridge kits, based on the components used in Moto3, Moto2 and WSB. Only difference between FGRR and FKR is that FKR will be even more user friendly from a maintenance and service point of view. From what I have been told, Ohlins will start to produce the FKR kits during January 2017.

https://www.ohlins.com/product/fkr-100/

Reactions: ///3oris
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.