2016 R1 Akrapovic or Decat? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M General Discussion General discussion area specific to the 2015 Yamaha R1M model. Please post all YZF-R1 R1M related topics in this section.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

2016 R1 Akrapovic or Decat?

hi new to here, got my 2016 r1 2 weeks ago, done 700kms, still in break in period so taking it easy, looking to get a exhaust, i had a test ride an r1 with akrapovic slipon, it sounds almost same to stock, but just look way better, so i dont want to waste that much money on the slip on that doesn't change the sound much, and saw some people putting on de cat pipe with stock muffler, which sound not bad, mjs has a decat pipe with the brackets for oem exhaust shield which can keep that standard look, thats about 1/3 price of the ak slipon. so any suggestions? and down side for decat pipe with stock muffler? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 05:06 PM
I eat my R1

Put akra gp slipon n linked pipe on. U won't be disappointed!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311_1481763847535.JPG
Views:	480
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	907530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313_1481763876441.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	907538  
cyclepsycho7 likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 06:18 PM
we R ONE

Garage
I've always done at least a 3/4 system. You hear and feel the improvement every time.
cyclepsycho7 likes this.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 07:31 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyzhou View Post
hi new to here, got my 2016 r1 2 weeks ago, done 700kms, still in break in period so taking it easy, looking to get a exhaust, i had a test ride an r1 with akrapovic slipon, it sounds almost same to stock, but just look way better, so i dont want to waste that much money on the slip on that doesn't change the sound much, and saw some people putting on de cat pipe with stock muffler, which sound not bad, mjs has a decat pipe with the brackets for oem exhaust shield which can keep that standard look, thats about 1/3 price of the ak slipon. so any suggestions? and down side for decat pipe with stock muffler? thanks
Ive got the MJS in ti with an a&r baffle in the stock can, looks stock, runs amazing and total was 1/3rd the Akra and link pipe.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 07:33 PM
YUUUP!

Slip on and link pipe, there is no other way to do it.
cyclepsycho7 likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:38 PM
I eat my R1

That's my setup runs good and keeps the stock look and saves a whole lot of money only thing left is have my ecu sent out to ftecu for a flash. I'd post a pic but don't know how to resize sorry

gotredbull
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow60thR1 View Post
it looks awsome im sure sounds good too, but they a too expensive...im in new Zealand the bike alone is about 19000 usd
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickrick View Post
That's my setup runs good and keeps the stock look and saves a whole lot of money only thing left is have my ecu sent out to ftecu for a flash. I'd post a pic but don't know how to resize sorry
thanks for reply, is it nnecessary to get ecu flashed?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 04:39 AM
YUUUP!

Quote:
it looks awsome im sure sounds good too, but they a too expensive...im in new Zealand the bike alone is about 19000 usd
Save and get it done. The cat is ugly as all hell and weighs a ton and the sound difference without the cat is phenomenal.

Quote:
thanks for reply, is it nnecessary to get ecu flashed?
Yes it's necessary, do a search on the forum as there is a plethora of information. Your other option is a power commander and dyno.
cyclepsycho7 likes this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 05:23 AM
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow60thR1 View Post
That setup looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu1989 View Post
I've always done at least a 3/4 system. You hear and feel the improvement every time.
I'm with you on that, I've put at the very least a cat delete and slipon on every bike I've owned, then a fuel management system and dyno tune. IMHO it's something that you have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie Smuggler View Post
Save and get it done. The cat is ugly as all hell and weighs a ton and the sound difference without the cat is phenomenal.

Yes it's necessary, do a search on the forum as there is a plethora of information. Your other option is a power commander and dyno.
No doubt. It sucks that they have to come that way from the factory.

I've never gone the reflash ECU route because I've never owned a bike newer than an 06 but if I did I would go that route. From all I've read on this site you can get much more out of the bike including changing the temp when the fans come on to keep it running cooler, engine braking and more with the reflash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lucky 13 Squadron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:33 AM
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie Smuggler View Post
Slip on and link pipe, there is no other way to do it.

how does a full akra system compare to slip on+link pipe in terms of performance? FTECU has maps for both configurations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:56 AM
(inset witty statement here)

Yup, it's a bit pricey but worth it. I'd keep the stock system till you saved enough to go for the 3/4. See my Instagram (link below) for pics if interested.

'16 R1 Anny, '09 R1 Raven, '15 HD Road Glide

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 12:39 PM
00 R1

full akra system.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelJouster View Post
Yup, it's a bit pricey but worth it. I'd keep the stock system till you saved enough to go for the 3/4. See my Instagram (link below) for pics if interested.
thanks, i think i will get the akrapovic next week. already bought a link pipe.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 01:39 PM
Quality Parts at Great Prices!

Akra's can they make for the R1 is by far the nicest looking one they got compared to any other bike.

R1-Forum Discount code R1FORUM
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMillion View Post
Akra's can they make for the R1 is by far the nicest looking one they got compared to any other bike.
i agree with you, on old models, yoshi or akrapovic has similar design or look, on the new r1 akrapovic just left other brands behind, yoshi still has the ugly big round can which not match to the new r1.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 06:31 PM
My R1 eats me.

I have a 3/4 Akrapovic exhaust Euro version with the laser engraving instead of sticker I'm selling if you're interested. I upgraded to full system.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 05:53 AM
Roadclosed racing Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionoo View Post
I have a 3/4 Akrapovic exhaust Euro version with the laser engraving instead of sticker I'm selling if you're interested. I upgraded to full system.
OOH REALLY>>> PM me a price, please.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 07:45 AM
The law is grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionoo View Post
OP your english seems a bit dodgy, which leads me to believe you may be located outside of the US. If you are, get the Akra 3/4 system that is Laser Engraved (as it is offered for sale only outside of the US) and not the one with a sticker, just like @ionoo ; did.

2015- Yamaha R1- Red/White
2016- Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS- Blue/Black
2016- ZX10R KRT ABS- Green/Black
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 11:40 AM
My R1 eats me.

Hey sorry, I am from Connecticut. I sent the post from my iPhone quickly without really spell checking it. I spent the time and effort to get the laser engraved version imported from Europe. Now I have a full exhaust and don't need it anyone. Im willing to ship it anywhere in the US, if you have any questions about it please email me at ionoo@comcast.net .

@obijack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode