2017 superbike - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M General Discussion General discussion area specific to the 2015 Yamaha R1M model. Please post all YZF-R1 R1M related topics in this section.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Recall

2017 superbike

The R1 looks poised to stay on top. It's already topped the Kawasaki they have been head to head R1 won. Now first ride reviews are in for the new cbr and apparently Honda linked wheelie control and traction control which cause abrupt loss of power and noticeable interference, sport rider and cycle world for details. So last is the Suzuki gsxr and who knows it may be a surprise and beat them all. Ok well I went through the transmission recall on my 2015 R1, still have her but when the shootout winner is crowned she may go down the road. First year model scary and never want that again maybe 2018 new superbike and I would not frown for another R1. On the fly pwr mode switch would be my only complaint other then that the R1 2015 and up is the bike to be on!!!!!
Bhansen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Recall

I would like to add that all 4 machines can be made competitive with the after market. I just do not have full confidence after the recall and would like a replacement superbike. I am not against any brand. What are your thoughts?
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 10:29 PM
"What"

Garage
I wouldn't base a motorcycle purchase on some plonker in a magazine saying which one is better when everyone noes he'll say whatever for whoever gives him the largest cheque. I purchase motorcycles on what I think appeals to myself and not for some kudos in the cool club. Unless you're actually tracking the bike and using it to it's fullest potential, nearly all bikes will do the street duty job just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sig By Petrol Spice.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Recall

I am taking a general consensus from all reviews/shootouts from Europe and USA, since 2015 R1 has come out on top. Here in SoCal I am fortunate enough to ride the bikes(service writer) I rode my 2015 before I bought it and when the Kawasaki got there i took the pre delivery ride and when the cbr and the gsxr show up I will do the same. I will still take into consideration all mag reviews and shootouts then after riding them all I will choose. Most do not get to test ride, just a perk for a insider I guess but back to the point. Let me clarify my question. What do guys think of first year model with recall possibly like the R1 had. Best to wait? 2017 R1?
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 12:23 AM
I eat my R1

I've bought 2 first year bikes and 1 first year Jeep and I'll never do that again. problems every time even though I loved all of the rides. I went with the 2016 R1 and haven't had one issue yet other than a battery drain out of nowhere. Mag and shootout reviews are good to read and watch to see if you see similar subjective complaints/praises that tick the block for ya. In most cases you're not going to get to test ride the bikes to the point where you'll notice these things at first. It's also a lot easier to test ride BMW's and Ducati's than Japanese bikes.

When I bought my R1 I knew before I bought it that it had an issue in the rev range that needed to be cured with a tune so I factored in these costs. Same with my Diavel, I knew I needed to set aside money for a tune and exhaust to smooth it out and I got this information from reviews and forum posts.

If I was stuck on the R1 and there was no difference in price I'd get a 17 but if I could get a leftover 16 for a good price I'd get that and never look back.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 05:43 AM
I eat my R1

the review I seen for the honda's active suspension on the new cbr 1000 made it sound like a idiotic design idea.
there is no rebound or compression settings. it only has +/- settings for braking, cornering etc. wtf is that?

and I'll say it again, as pissed as I was at the fact yamaha wanted to replace parts of the trans and not the whole motor, I am not having any issues with mine. unless someone told me it was done I'd never be able to look at it and tell. the shop did a satisfactory repair. having said that, I still would rather not have had it done at all. It taught me a lesson, I will never ever ever buy another 1st year model of anything agian. this is one that will hurt companies in the long run when enough people skip the first year. I'm sure I'm not the only person that feels this way

as for yamaha R1..it is lacking a few things that all the other brands now come with. they need to make a stock autoblipper. these things are a grand to add on. you need a flash and the kit. FTECU= $200 flash, $720 for the autoblipper kit. Woolich racing $480 for the flash kit $420 for the autoblipper. either way youre spending a grand. yamaha's front forks are like a whole generation behind kawasaki and suzuki's bff forks.

Last edited by yamaharandy; 01-29-2017 at 05:57 AM.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 05:47 AM
I eat my R1

Man for a second I thought the OP was talking WSBK... I was wondering what races he's been watching, because the R1 is nowhere near the top on that field :P
bacchus40, Dai. and RichRaven05 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 08:28 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
I have come to the conclusion that this 2016 even not flashed is more power than I can exploit.

I even thought about buying a z900 Kawasaki for the street and making the r1 just track. It's just way more tech than you will ever use on the street. It belongs on the track.
PhatAustinDude likes this.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Recall

how good is the gsxr going to be........
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:01 AM
Crossed Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt 2381 View Post
how good is the gsxr going to be........
I sat on the new one and was surprised how porky/wide it still felt. Yamaha and Honda made very narrow feeling bikes, so it surprise me that Suzuki didn't follow suit.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:11 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post
I sat on the new one and was surprised how porky/wide it still felt. Yamaha and Honda made very narrow feeling bikes, so it surprise me that Suzuki didn't follow suit.
it seems suzuki owners like slow turning (corner stable) wide bikes. they hated the older ones flickability so much they added fork extensions to slow it down.
to each their own. the old bike was still beating the R1 in motoamerica. so...it might destroy the graves team this year

Last edited by yamaharandy; 01-29-2017 at 10:15 AM.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 12:51 PM
I eat my R1

Sport rider review of the Honda seemed to be straining to give it a positive review. If they are complaining in print of weird traction control wheelie control and no front end feel and poor grip or whatever you and I will frikking hate it.

I figured something was up from the onboard footage I saw of Portimao and the luke warm comments from the riders. Shiit like "after a few more laps and some more seat time and set up and blah blah blah". All excuses to justify the free lunch and trackday they got...

I was willing to trade my 15 in for this CBR but I'm not feeling it as of now...
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 03:23 PM
The law is grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmart View Post
I have come to the conclusion that this 2016 even not flashed is more power than I can exploit.

I even thought about buying a z900 Kawasaki for the street and making the r1 just track. It's just way more tech than you will ever use on the street. It belongs on the track.
I did that, expect went with the GSX-S 1000 for the street (brembo calipers, t/c (including lift control), ABS). Suspension is fully adjustable in the front.

To the OP:
I chalk up motorcycle reviews to bragging rights. "Yeah the magazine guys liked my bike, but didn't like yours. Sweet, your bike must less cool than mine". The part I like most about the magazine articles is seeing the specs in black and white all together for comparison (weight, hp, tq, etc.). Riding is very subjective to begin with, especially when you get to this level of motorcycles and track riding. I have both the kawi and the yami. I have found the kawi easier to ride fast out of the box. The R1 needed a lot of suspension adjustment and fine tuning for me. But once set up properly, i am within 10ths of each bike in laps times.
bacchus40 and Yautja like this.

2015- Yamaha R1- Red/White
2016- Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS- Blue/Black
2016- ZX10R KRT ABS- Green/Black

Last edited by Obijack; 01-29-2017 at 07:21 PM.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Recall

Great response, excellent feedback thxs guys.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:38 PM
I eat my R1

The active suspension is receiving praise on how simplistic the adjustments are for the individual without needing to know how to expertly adjust suspensions. The +/- for acceleration, braking and corner allow you to make these changes pretty much on the fly for different tracks or roads depending on how you're riding. The video I watched spent most of the time on brilliant this new active suspension was.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 08:18 PM
"What"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post
Really?. I test rode a 2016[Not the new model] and complained how cramped the ****ing thing was, probably didn't help that I literally came off a 2008 Hayabusa[still ride it] and jumped on that thing.

Unfortunately all the newer bikes feel like you're sitting on them instead of in them.

Sig By Petrol Spice.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:02 PM
commuting and carving

After putting 15000 miles in the first 7 months with no issues, I think the "first year" myth is just that.....get out there and ride your damn machine....as a side note, I have two complaints for the bike overall, the stock brakes are pretty horrible overall, especially compared to most of the current liter bikes all rocking brembo calipers, and the fact that it doesnt have up and down quickshift...but other than that, the package is amazing, and a total blast to ride!

2015 Raven R1 Mods:

Full carbon fairings from 1carbontech
Graves 3/4 - titanium midpipe/carbon slipon
FTecu with Graves 3/4 map
GYTR engine covers
GYTR radiator and oil cooler guards
GYTR black seat cowl
Lightech folding magnesium levers
Lightech mirror block offs
Saddlemen GP-V1 seat
Driven halo gascap
Driven D3 grips
OEM black rotors
OEM black thermostat pipe
OEM black barends
Fender eliminator, JL designs taillight, custom turn signals
Bridgestone S21's w/ 200 in the rear
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:21 AM
I eat my R1

I believe the recall rates for 1st year platforms are higher than that of the following years so I don't think it's as much a myth as much as it just may not have affected you personally.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:54 AM
I eat my R1

I don't think Honda has really had their heart in sportbikes since 2007. They pretty much just copy successful aspects from other bikes now and flip coins on which body work they want to copy then clusterfuㄷksmash it all onto last years frame.
The only Honda I've had was a 2002 F4i, but it was a HUGE pain in the ass to work on compared to the R1. I wouldn't buy another one personally. They had allen bolts, phillips bolts, and RIVETS holding fairings on, the first two were normal threads, not the *snap* locks like the R1 has. That's just one example, but the whole bike was a pain.

Last edited by Kyoto_Kinniku; 01-31-2017 at 01:56 AM.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:56 AM
I eat my R1

I'd agree Honda bikes have no excitement anymore (other than the Grom, from everything I've read/watched, that thing is a hoot!). The only Honda I've owned was a 2010 VFR1200, and that thing was basically an appliance. It worked, it was technically competent, but jesus was it boring to ride.
bacchus40 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode