Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

I'm rubbing the paint off my 15 r1 swingarm?

13K views 44 replies 14 participants last post by  mjkuhno 
#1 ·
Anyone else having problem with their left boot rubbing the paint off the swingarm? I have taken the paint all the way off on the left side from my boot rubbing. Sucks as I am selling the bike and looks kind of like rash to an otherwise flawless bike.

Im not into the whole carbon swingarm covers cause they do just as much damage from rubbing.

Im thinking about buying the heel guard from the 06-16 R6 swingarm and sticking it on there. Just wondering what everyone else is doing. Probably not a problem if you dont wear riding boots.

Here is the OEM PN that I was going to buy 2C0-228A0-00-00 Looks like it will fit. $18.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. That is similar to what I was thinking. Its a little larger than what I was looking for though. I think the R6 one will hit just where there is interference.

#6 ·
ahh yeah the old boot rub swingarm issue. I had that problem on my R6. I switched to sidi st boots and the screw in the heal started really digging in it leaving deep scratches.
my r1 has scratches on the healguard but not the swingarm.

oh yeah thanks for the picture. I bought the same sprocket but have not installed it yet. now I know how good it's going to look

#8 ·
If you look at my picture it has black vinyl on it, but that just gets chewed up also. I only have 2800 miles on the bike also, cant imagine what it would look like at 10K miles.

#9 ·
I used black 3m duct tape for a while until I got tired of changing it out. I would put three-five layers and it would last a while track day. But the r&g stuff is awesome as it actually helps you grip and protects the swing arm. On another note, I saw a used swing arm for cheap on eBay.

#15 ·
If one of you guys gets the R6 or FZ10 swingarm protectors please let me know how they work out.

I've also had contact issues w/ my R1M swingarm on both sides. Tried using Techspec cut out in the R&G pattern but it didn't even last a session. The swingarm is looking sort of 'polished' now after more than a season of track time and I'd pretty much just accepted it - though if there's something that might work better than averting my eyes to that area I'd be interested in knowing.

Thx!
- Mike

Reactions: gsa013
#14 ·
if you need to stick it on with tape go to home depot and look in the isle by the tape (in with the paint supplies) it's made by 3m. called outdoor mounting tape. it's pretty much the same thing they use on car emblems. you will have trouble pulling the part back off. but the tape itself will not rip like a foam kind of tape does and leave shit behind. it's more like a rubber.
3M Scotch 1 in. x 1.66 yds. Outdoor Mounting Tape-411DC-SF - The Home Depot

#19 ·
I cant believe Yamaha dropped the ball on this when they have had solutions to this problem for years. Looks even worse on the M for some reason. I dont think the tank pad material will work as once you cut it wont be sealed and have flappy edges. Im right in middle of an R6 build so all investments are going there for now. I will let one of you be the guinea pig and find the right solution. LOL

#37 ·
Yeah $16,000 motorcycle why should I care about the cosmetics. I feel that way about my 2006 cbr600rr track bike, but not about my 2015 R1. On the new R1 if your riding the track you will drag your toe sliders on your boots if you do not have your foot on the foot peg by the toes. And if your on your toes on the foot peg, your heel will be pushed against the swing arm, thereby rubbing the swing arm finish off. It is unavoidable if you ride on the track. Has little to do with getting your knee down, however getting the "triangle" position is difficult without correct foot placement.

#41 ·
Stop worrying about a triangle your foot should be parralel to the bike you may now and then hit the swingarm with you heel but by no means should your heel be resting on it that means you are pointing your toe at an angle which is what schools like to teach so people can get their knee down early so they think they are making progress and in return makes you think the money your spending on schooling is worth it it's good marketing.get a lean angle gauge knee down at anything less than 50 degrees is a joke

#39 ·
How about getting a piece of 3M carbon fiber vinyl? Get that cut to a nice shape and glue it on. I would suggest and actual piece of carbon fiber, but that would probably turn into a project.

Maybe someone industrious can make it and sell it to us? :sneaky

Whatever you do, don't glue on anything rubbery or which creates any friction. You don't want to have an interaction between your swing-arm and your boot.

#45 ·
Thx for the follow-up Hooli - looks pretty good on the standard black swingarm.

I might need to go this route at some point on my R1M - but for right now my Renthal sticker is doing an OK job...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.