My 15 R1 engine blew with 2888 miles! - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M General Discussion General discussion area specific to the 2015 Yamaha R1M model. Please post all YZF-R1 R1M related topics in this section.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

My 15 R1 engine blew with 2888 miles!

I've tried searching for this topic on here and it seems pretty rare so I thought I'd share and maybe some folks will chime in.

I've got a 2015 w. 2888 miles and last weekend the engine popped in her. It happened on the street under hard acceleration in 3rd gear, pretty constant engine load.

She was pulling hard as she always does, then I felt a sudden loss of power and that noise of ball bearings being rattled in a tin can, as I slowed a cloud of smoke caught up with me. I shut it off immediately. When I took it home and quickly opened the drain plug below is what I saw. Got it at the dealer now and they are going through it with Yamaha... I'm curious as to what caused this and what action Yamaha will take to rectify this.

This bike had the transmission recall done prior to me picking it up.

Anyone else had this experience? Or hear of something like this happening?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0865.JPG
Views:	911
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	925617  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 04:51 PM
Be good humans!

Garage
I have 2000 miles and 2 track days on mine.....Kinda scary - let us know what you hear from the dealer/Yamaha.

Be good humans!
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Scary indeed. But mostly disappointing.

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 06:24 PM
I'm an Englishman in WI.

Garage
Subscribed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 06:41 PM
I eat my R1

Recall completed then sudden engine destruction...anyone else figure this puzzle out? Shame bro for your loss...

PS I'm never getting the recall done
Halo_2 likes this.
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Hope is what makes us Human.

If the bike is still on full warranty. They must replace the engine with a brand new one. I would assume so!
good luck!
cyclepsycho7 and milheim05 like this.

Quote:
“Not every legend is a myth, some are flesh and blood. Some legends walk among us, but they aren’t born, they’re built. Legends are made from iron & sweat, mind and muscle, blood and vision and victory. Legends are champions, they grow, they win, they conquer"
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:35 PM
Chef R1

Sorry about your bike. Glad your ok though. Now to those that dont wanna have the recall done due to chance of issues down the line, find yourself a good shop and have it done.

If you have the right shop, the bike will be put together better than factory....
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 12:21 AM
Chillin'

Garage

post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:54 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimamxm View Post
The tech and I at the dealership put the bike in every gear and it moved so nothing is locked up in the drivetrain, plus when it happened I don't recall it feeling like the rear wheel locked up, I decelerated in a smooth controlled manner. I'm fairly certain transmission can be ruled out.

Does anyone know which parts of the engine assembly are NOT magnetic on this motor? The tech mentioned something about that, not sure if there is any truth to it. The bits on the drain plug are magnetic. I though everything in the engine assembly was magnetic.

I'm just trying to rule things out in my head, the curiosity is killing me... The tech that's qualified to work on 15+ R1 isn't back until next week at this dealership so they haven't cracked it open yet.
The bearings and pistons are probably an aluminum alloy and won't be magnetic, as well as the titanium connecting rods.
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SySt View Post
The bearings and pistons are probably an aluminum alloy and won't be magnetic, as well as the titanium connecting rods.
Hmm, maybe crank shaft or valve train, although I'd be surprised if something all the way up from the valvetrain would make it all the way down to the drain plug that quickly, which leaves us with the crank........ anyway, all conjecture and guess work at this point, won't know until they open it up later this week and examine the carnage.
post #11 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:14 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevap View Post
Sudden? It happened almost 3000 miles later. The recall and this blown motor are not connected. No way no how. I had my recall done and I've got over 6000 miles on mine. No problems what so ever. Feel free to continue with your moronic thoughts.
Ahhh I misread the OP. He said the transmission recall was completed prior to being picked up and I thought he meant that day not 3000 miles prior. My bad.

However if you think that the recall was done successfully just because it lasted 3000 or 6000 miles think again...

My guess is that sealant got into some oil passages and a few thousand miles later Boom.

You can call me names but I know engines and rebuilds. And if you trust every mechanic that works at a dealer then well you know
post #12 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:49 AM
R1 Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly999 View Post
Ahhh I misread the OP. He said the transmission recall was completed prior to being picked up and I thought he meant that day not 3000 miles prior. My bad.

However if you think that the recall was done successfully just because it lasted 3000 or 6000 miles think again...

My guess is that sealant got into some oil passages and a few thousand miles later Boom.

You can call me names but I know engines and rebuilds. And if you trust every mechanic that works at a dealer then well you know
Either that, or a foreign object was left in the case after reassembly. Curious as well to see what they find after opening her up.
post #13 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 12:19 PM
I eat my R1

yeah to say no way no how is a bold statement and far from the truth imo. We have a ram as a shop truck and theres a clip thats put in during assembly and if youre lucky it doesnt come loose, if you're semi lucky it comes loose and grenades your tranny within warranty and if youre unlucky it comes loose and grenades your tranny shortly after warranty expires(happened to a guy who was a couple thousand kms past warranty)

To also say you wont get the recall done because of a couple problem bikes is also pretty ridiculous. Engines blow in all brands and for various reasons.

P.S. I dont do oral on my wife because this guy got cancer from doing it Michael Douglas Regrets Attributing His Cancer to His Wife's Vagina*
cyclepsycho7 and thesoapster like this.
post #14 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 12:39 PM
Chillin'

Garage
The recall work and this could definitely be related 3000 miles later.

post #15 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:08 PM
Δt → 0 ⇒ v̅ → |v̅| <Google it

Garage
Yamaha will do nothing, but send you in circles and in the end tell you that it was your fault and nothing they can do. Personal experience over 2 years dealing with them. Get a lawyer and don't talk to Yamaha much and the dealer. What you have told them already and what they have is all you need to say.

Trans gear and shift fork are hard alloy that will stick to a magnet

COX radiator guard (Gold) | LighTech swingarm spools (Black) | Stompgrip's (Clear) | TST Industries Fender Eliminator | Woodcraft Frame Sliders | Lightech Axle Sliders | BMC Street Filter | Flux Capacitor

Last edited by CrossPlainCrazy; 03-30-2017 at 01:11 PM.
post #16 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 11:21 PM
My R1 eats me.

Just out of curiosity, say they repair everything from warranty, will the dealer repair top-end, bottom end, crank, etc.. Whatever needs fixing, or will they give you a whole engine new from factory?
post #17 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 11:43 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
i have heard of valve issues on a couple bikes they updated the head design for some reason i suspect maybe related. sounds a bit like it dropped a valve. that would explain the rock tumbler noise and how oil is getting into the the combustion chamber to make the smoke cloud and the loss of power. until they pull it apart though its all speculation. i thought it was second gear that was having the issue though and while shifting was breaking it i didn't know third was an issue as well. also a gear breaking shouldn't be putting smoke into the chamber so it sounds like it isn't likely to be the issue

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
post #18 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossPlainCrazy View Post
Yamaha will do nothing, but send you in circles and in the end tell you that it was your fault and nothing they can do. Personal experience over 2 years dealing with them. Get a lawyer and don't talk to Yamaha much and the dealer. What you have told them already and what they have is all you need to say.

That makes me sad... if true. But I guess I should be prepared for the worst.

This will be my fist and last Yamaha if that's how this plays out.
post #19 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossPlainCrazy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstclair View Post
i have heard of valve issues on a couple bikes they updated the head design for some reason i suspect maybe related. sounds a bit like it dropped a valve. that would explain the rock tumbler noise and how oil is getting into the the combustion chamber to make the smoke cloud and the loss of power. until they pull it apart though its all speculation. i thought it was second gear that was having the issue though and while shifting was breaking it i didn't know third was an issue as well. also a gear breaking shouldn't be putting smoke into the chamber so it sounds like it isn't likely to be the issue
Good point, I'm 99% sure it would not be the trans, as that would not send a cloud of smoke into the air... just lock up the drive train.

That's not to say the warranty work to replace the trans didn't lead to this issue though... as someone else said, a tech not installing the gear assembly properly, sealant got into the oil passages, boom.
post #20 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:13 AM
Devils never cry

Garage
Whoever did the recall work probably half assed it when putting everything back together like a lot of the stories you see on here regarding the 2015's.
Hooli likes this.

I'm not a hacker, I'm a security professional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode