Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Old dog with new kicks

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  hooligan998 
#1 ·
I figured I would register and sign in and see what everyone is up to on the new 15+ R1 forum. I put a deposit on a 16 60th and now have to wait for next years delivery. Here is a little history of how I came to choose the R1 60th.

I'm just on the downhill side of 50 years old. In all my life I have never owned a inline 4 motorcycle. I've owned V4's from the Honda 80s including a 'Ceptor 700 tariff bike and previous a V65. I then went to a Hawk GT. Smaller and better handling machines appealed to me. A Ducati dealer opened up near me and I lusted after the 916-996 and in 2000 bought a 996 and quickly bought leathers and off to the track I went. Club racing lightweights and then poverty soon followed. I sold everything to pay bills. Next bike was a Ninja 250. People laughed but I was in the wind.

Fast forward and bikes have come and gone. Never did get to own a inline 4. I bought a ZX7R a year ago. It was old and cheap but it taught me that I was missing out on that inline howl and smooth manic rush of acceleration. Intoxicating and very different from my 2000 Ducati 996S I was able to snatch up on ebay a few years back. The Duc is madness and quite fun at track days but its old and not something one should beat on. I got rid of the ZX7 and wanted a track day bike with style. I found a 50th Anniversary R6 in like new condition. It only had 7k and most of that was a woman owner. I removed the lowering links, brought it back to stock ride height and added braided lines. It was gorgeous and it rode as well as it looked. I have never ridden a bike that instilled such confidence in flicking it into a corner. The Duc can be hands free in a corner but getting it there is work. The R6 is effortless. I couldn't wait for my next track day. On my next track day I was rewarded with crystal blue skies and cooler temps as it was September just this past month. My first session and I was blown away by the handling of this bike. It was so stable in transition from upright into full lean. Knee down corrections to tighten a corner were so easy. Wow I really love this bike!

The day ended and I was signed up to ride again a day later and decided to bring the Duc along as well. My buddy pitted next to me and we had a great day. I told him how much better the R6 handles compared to the heavier Duc's handling. I told him to take the R6 and see for himself as he has an older R6S at home he picked up salvage for a track bike that was still in the process of being set up. I told him that one ride on my R6 and he will get that bike ready.

I went out on the Duc and he on my R6. The session ended with red flags. I said out loud in my helmet, "Please don't let it be my bike." as I hoped my bud didn't crash it. but two corners later I saw it laying in the corner with its plastics littered everywhere. NOOOOOOOO!

Lucky for my bud he was OK. The bike on the other hand was totaled. I went home bummed but everyone told me that I could now get another bike. This opened the door for my thinking about a new R1. Then the 60th color scheme just shouted "BUY ME". Now I'm here after putting a deposit on a 16 looking to learn what I need to do to make this bike ready for its delivery.

Pipe, tune, brake pads, crash bungs, etc...

I hope this handles like my R6 did...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
coming from a R6 my 2015 R1 feels so much like the R6 that i felt like I was riding it until I twist the throttle. and it's like double the power lol the new r1 is light and nimble just like the R6. maybe slightly less but not anything us mortals can take advantage of.

usually you don't ride a 1000 like a 600. a 600 you ride fast in the corners. a 1000 is more of a point and shoot riding style. slow cornering and hyper speed on the straights. but not anymore.

welcome to the forum. you're going to love that R1.

#4 ·
coming from a R6 my 2015 R1 feels so much like the R6 that i felt like I was riding it until I twist the throttle. and it's like double the power lol the new r1 is light and nimble just like the R6.

usually you don't ride a 1000 like a 600. a 600 you ride fast in the corners. a 1000 is more of a point and shoot riding style. slow cornering and hyper speed on the straights. but not anymore.

welcome to the forum. you're going to love that R1.
Exactly what I'm hoping for. Easy corner speed with technology to help keep the rear wheel behind me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.