Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apex adjustable 3" riser clipons review

44K views 90 replies 27 participants last post by  number5 
#1 ·
There have been a few threads about these clip-ons but I haven't actually seen any installed on an 09+ before so maybe this will help somebody out that 's looking.

First I want to say that Apex has great customer service and were really quick to answer questions, even after hours I got responses within a few minutes which was awesome.

I wanted to get some clip-ons for a while now so that I could adjust the rise and angle of the bars for longer rides, VA to PA in one shot is a little tough on my wrists...

Anyway I came across these after searching on here for a while and they seemed to fit the bill perfectly so I ordered up a set. Everything shipped on time and was well packaged.

The quality of the pieces was surprising, quality machining on all the pieces and everything fit together perfectly and looked great. The only 1 thing I found that was a little off was the opening for the bar ends were perfectly concentric, like one side of the tubing was a little thicker than the other...no big deal here because the inside of the bar is reinforced anyway. The bar ends sit like 1.5mm to one side but who cares and you can't tell once everything is installed.

As far as installation goes, I had a hard time getting the controls on the throttle side mounted, because the damn wires for the kill switch/starter button are fairly short. In the end I had to rotate the clamp almost all the way in front of the forks just to get them mounted. And yes I just filed down the nubs inside the controls and just used a few small strips of electrical tape to act as a shim on the new bars so nothing moves. It's working well so far...

Clutch side is no problem, just make sure to tighten up all the bolts on the fork clamps before reinstalling the lever as it can be a little tight to reach them otherwise.

As they sit now the clamps are right up against the bottom side of the triple and they are set to the lowest rise position possible; which is like 3/4" of rise. I also rotated them forward as much as the wires allowed. Just a bit farther than stock. The bar angle is about stock as well, can't change it much either direction because of the rise, length of the brake line, and switch wires. I can still turn the bars full lock to lock but turning left the throttle cables are just about to touch at full extension so that's about as far as I can go with everything adjusted as it is now.

To get more rise than that I would have to think about splicing in some longer wires for the switches, a longer brake line (already ordered some Spiegler lines 2" longer), and possible a longer clutch line not sure, so I could rotate the fork clamps and move the bars back some and then go up so nothing would hit while turning.

So overall I'm at about ~3/4" rise, ~1" forward, stock angle, and alot more comfortable so far. The extra width is really nice, feels like I have more control now. :epimp

Pics:

p.s. pay no attention to the rag over the gauges, I've had a little bit of the DB melting effect and I'm trying to minimize anymore until the overlays I ordered come in...:mad:

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
3/4 rise isnt bad. i was guestimaing about 1" is what i want out of mine..

so its just switches wire and brake cables then..but it all works as is fit now. ?

#7 ·
3/4 rise isnt bad. i was guestima ing about 1" is what i want out of mine..

so its just switches wire and brake cables then..but it all works as is fit now. ?
Yup, at the lowest position everything works. I could probably raise them up another 1/2" or so before anything got really tight. So you should be able to get at least an inch out of them if you really wanted without changing anything. And even if you wanted to go higher it wouldn't be all that difficult to make the wires longer, and brake lines are relatively easy to get.

#6 ·
Looks great!!! Good info!!!

#8 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply.. that sounds good, i'll order a set then...
all that matters to me for the most part is that i'm able to turn
the handles lock to lock... I already have HEL lines in YELlow
so i figured the custom color would make 'em a pain to sell..

what do you mean exactly when you say at full left tilt
the throttle cables touch? do you have a pic? will this
cause any problems, down the line? I remember reading on
here about how expensive those damn things are on the '09
due to the fly -by wire setup... and i dont think you could get
them any longer... I'd rather just leave that stock...

thanks again,!

i figured Apex would be the best to contact with issues like you were having..
they seemed great to deal with when i was re-searching the product months ago.. glad to hear it
worked out for yah!

#10 ·
What I meant was that with the bars at full lock turned left the rubber grommet for the throttle cables was just contacting the front fairing. And I mean just barely brushing it so I left it that way, no problem whatsoever.

But this can be resolved by rotating the throttle mechanism further towards the rear of the bike or rotating the fork clamps to the outside and lengthening the wires for the switches.

Right now everything works fine though, just not going to get anywhere near 3" of rise without some more modifications, but I don't mind a bit.:saw:

And yes, Apex was great to deal with.

#11 ·
ahh. okay no worries then...

i def. dont need 3" of rise... that would be a freaking off roader R1.. lol...

will post pics as soon as i get mine going here... thanks again!

I actually wouldnt mind it being closer to the body so i may just
have to extend the wiring...

#12 · (Edited)
just got my apex clip-ons!! woohoo..
cant wait to try these bad boys on...

quality is top notch! i'm rather surprised how long the clip-ons are actually...
i'm sure they'll be wicked!!

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
yeah man i never had a doubt on the Apex option.. I just didnt need them in winter
so I decided to wait... hahah... sorry :(

convertibars just sounds wrong... didnt even bother
heli bars, blah.... not nearly as much adjustment available with Apex
i had already considered heli bars on the R6, but you only get the rise they dictate...

at the end of the day, Apex customer service won me over!!
excellent company, great product! fast arse shipping!

for the money... such a clean design!! so very worth it!

#17 ·
direct from apex!
$219 shipped

Apex MFG [info@apexmfg.com] if you have any questions,

Sheena is awesome to deal with..! you will need the std 50mm fork clamps, 3" riser
http://www.apexmfg.com/3-inch-apex-riser-clip-on

i'm gonna muck around with these over the next couple days... will post pics

#18 · (Edited)
oops, facked up.. i installed my carbon fiber cover a couple days ago.. not realizing there
are two screws right under the damn thing which hold up the oem clamps... fcuk!

here comes some surgical work.. hheh... well that was easy.. ;)

#20 · (Edited)
actually only took me 2 secs.. exacto knife.. one swip on either end.. pop.. no worries..

hey what size socket do you use on that big stem nut holding it all together ?
dad's got it at work, be great to get these on quick... looks like a 3-4 beer job :thumbup

36mm sound right?

#23 ·
yeah i figure I'll mess around with it & get the right feel after a good weekend ride..
decide where i like it n' cut off the rest... i'd rather have too much than too little... savvy?

well i severly doubt its a 32, seen it post up a couple times, older R1s were 36mm cant see them changing it..

#24 ·
I think these will be my next mod for sure. Thanks for the great review!!!

#25 ·
aight! well my stockers are off! not that bad a job..
gotta shave off those nasty niples on the plastic casings
but i'll have to do that tomorrow..

will post pics when done.!! i'm so gonna love these! they were well worth the wait!.. :D

#32 · (Edited)

well, that was a long wait!! hahahh... sorry kids.. i finally got around to installing my apex risers!! wow!!, are they every incredible!! such high quality workmanship its a little daunting when you really start to mess with all the options for adjust-ability... i had some trouble with my left hand over the past month due to carpal tunnel surgery so i had to hold off on the whole dremel process... alas, its done now!!! you're right, i'm gonna need to use some electrical tape for shims, at least on a couple spots it feels like the apex are thinner than oem bars... which is just fine.. its not a big deal...

only difference in my setup is i re-routed the brake reservoir under the throttle cables.. gives you much more room to adjust exactly where you want the bars to end up..
i'm sure you found this out by now... its a quick little fix... I didnt have much trouble at all making it all fit as it should.. I will not be needing longer cables.. I can already tell
everything is in a much better position.!! i cant wait to test these puppies out..!

unfortunately I dont have a nose upper at this point so i cant settle on what position I will need for all clearances to work out...
meaning on lock to lock position, i'm sure it will be fun once i get a new nose on there...

alas I have put the bike away for the year... gotta let my hand/wrist heal properly so no riding till 2013 for me :(

I will post pics tomorrow... :fork

#35 ·
only difference in my setup is i re-routed the brake reservoir under the throttle cables.. gives you much more room to adjust exactly where you want the bars to end up..
i'm sure you found this out by now... its a quick little fix... I didnt have much trouble at all making it all fit as it should.. I will not be needing longer cables.. I can already tell
everything is in a much better position.!! i cant wait to test these puppies out..!
Yes, I thought about that after the fact. But since I didn't need to adjust them anymore I just left the brake hose above the throttle cables and everything works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.