Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2001 r1 good price??

28K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  LethalJin 
#1 ·
I got a guy who wants to sell me his 01 r1 for about 3k. only catch is its got about 20k miles but good condition..

thoughts?

how good are the 01s

#2 ·
Each year R1 has a different area that it may be better in but their all great bikes in general. Sometimes the 1st year of a design change may have a few minor bugs that have to be worked out but by the time you buy a used one it's most likely already been taken care of. The cost you stated seem ok for a bike in very very good condition but price is also based on the area of the sale. You may be able to get him to drop it little for a bike of that age. 20,000 miles is no big deal. Good Luck.

#6 ·
...Unless it's very clean, it doesn't sound like a screaming deal.

Could be I'm partial to the 04-06, too.
That hurts. Come on, You don't think this is worth $3000 :rock

could be I'm partial to the 01' :)

If the bike has been taken care of, I believe that to be a very good price. Even KBB's (for my area) lowest price was 3900.

I second the 2nd gear issue as well. lol ...
Mine hasn't been bad at all, but it does have issues every so often.
18K+ here.

#23 ·
+1... i would buy it and maintain it. there are a very few of them out there. some seemed to have problems with carbs but mostly its was resolved with minor fixes and adjustments. i would get one if i wasnt saving for the '09.
GL :thumbup

#11 ·
hahahhaha YES!!

and you guys don't think the mileage is a big problem?

he said he changed the oil every 2,500 miles and has receipts

he also just bought all these new parts ;

*roll cage
*rear sprocket 2 up from stock + chain
*windshield
*brake lines
*rear sets
*Ohlins steering dampener
*rear seat eliminator
*Hotbodies undertail kit
* Leo Vinci exhaust
*tires approx 500 Miles on this set...pretty new...

#12 ·
Stop questioning and go grab yourself one of the sweetest R1's ever made at a very good price. Do a little research on the 1st (carburated) R1's, you won't find many owners that would trade 'up' to a newer model, they might buy a newer model aswell, bought the carbed R1's have a cult following for a reason.

#18 ·
My 2001 R1 had over 78,000 miles on it before it started popping out of second gear. That's the only reason I got rid of it. Other than that it was a great bike. Still miss it sometimes!!!

#20 ·
If it looks something like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Yamaha_YZF_R1_2001.jpg

And has no problems with Second gear, 20k is not a problem at all.

But for 2001 $3k i don't know i just don't like that 3 on front if it was like 2.9k as long as it hits the 2 in front not 3k i think it's to much for 01, even though it's only $100 less i dont like 3k for R1 my opinion.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.