Well, I just got my custom pair of Heroic Racing SP-R Gloves and wanted to post up some impressions and pics.
I didn't really see myself moving away from the Alpinestars GP-Tech gloves since I have really loved the last few sets of them. Besides a small stitching repair to a couple finger tips, they held up well to the abuses of racing for the last 4 seasons. They are very comfortable, not bulky feeling and have good protection.
Heroic's new SP-R's are a similar glove in some ways, but I really think that they have made real improvements and added features rather than trying to make a clone.
What I Like:
• Stingray crash protectors look friggin sweet and I have seen how tough they really are.
• I like the stretchy articulated fingers better than Astars precurved style.
• Similar stretchy articulation on the wrist makes them much easier to get on and off (not even broken in yet). The wrist closure strap works better.
• The palm and finger tip reinforcement material is much more grippy than Astars (who don't put any on the finger tips and I've worn through)
• While almost a perfect match to Astars Lg : Lg, the finger length is better. For me the Astars fingers were too long, perfect on these.
• Call me a dork, but I think the piping on the gauntlet looks cool.
What I didn't:
• The flap on the inside of the hand can be annoying flopping around. A couple of drops of super glue fixed that for me.
Honestly, that's my only complaint so far and I'm a big glove snob. Overall, they just ooze quality right down to the details. I'll be putting them through their paces this weekend at Palm Beach International and I'll be sure to report how they do. Enjoy the photos!