Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Anyone own a Ducati Panigale before their new 2015 R1?

31K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  migR1 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have seen several instances of forum members who mention previously owning a Ducati Panigale. I am considering selling mine and purchasing a 2015 R1 (base). I would love to hear the impressions of those who have owned both.

The Ducati is a lot of fun, but I am tired of getting roasted, fixing oil leaks and replacing lost bolts (I should have bought stock in blue Loctite). I spend half my time on the track and half on the street.

Thanks!

#5 ·
just by the exaggerated heat on a street ride of that panigale I would buy the R1. I have spent a day with one of those Panigale and it´s a sweet machine but for street riding I prefer the R1, the sound it makes, how telephatic is the handling... I wouldn´t know about the r1m.. but for me the regular R1 is a hit.

#8 ·
I never owned a Panigale but did test ride a new 1299S. The engine is visceral and brakes are awesome. The clutch-less downshifting was nice as well but I kept hitting neutral going from 2nd to 1st. The quick shifter was surprisingly smooth. The suspension and handling felt really good as well. However it did seem to require more focus while riding which seems tiring after a while.

I've obviously had more seat time on my R1M but from day 1 it was noticeably one of the best handling liter bikes I've ever ridden. On my bike the quick shifter is absolutely flawless, low rpm, high rpm, it doesn't matter, there is never even the slightest hesitation in acceleration as I've experience with other bikes. The lift control is also the best I've ever experienced. It will literally hold the wheel about 6 inches off the ground from 1st to 3rd. The only real complaint I have is the terrible stock fueling where there's a "dead spot" between 5-7K rpm. Certainly not as big of a deal for track riding but on the street it's annoying. I would assume that the handling characteristics on the base R1 would be similar but the Ohlins really does a good job over the bumps.

my 2c...

Reactions: DblD
#9 ·
Mate I sold my PaniS for the R1. It was a absolute weapon. After fiddling with the R1 I have ended up with 194hp but the Pani was also very strong. I think if I could make the choice again I would take the 1299s. Riding Position awesome, gearbox and quick shifter brilliant brakes are just insane , I think the electronics on the Pani was better. R1 is a good bike but not a pan;-)

#10 ·
I always find it interesting how we casually complain about braking on a given bike, when that is one of the easiest "fixes" for a bike.

We can't easily change electronics or geometry or the engine but brakes are relatively simple to bring to WSBK level with a few thousand of extras. If you take a stock R1, lose the cat with a 3/4 system, revalve the suspension and buy a brembo 18x19 master for $700 and $1500 for great calipers, change the brake lines, I would believe you are still thousands less than the Pani and she will feel equal to, if not better than, the Pani, with far less drama driving and FAR less drama on maintenance and service costs.

I've ridden both the Pani R and R1M at COTA and both are amazing bikes. The Pani requires more focus and isn't as settled as the R1, but both handle phenomenally well. You feel faster on the Pani (and it does feel more special riding it) but the numbers don't lie, the stock R1M ran faster laps for me than the Pani...was just easier to run harder without approaching the "scary moments" limit.

I'm the "not jockey like" guy in the foreground riding with some other folks on Pani R and the Superleggera in the back. Pani reached a GPS speed of 180 on the back straight and ran a 2:31. I don't have the photo but I ran 2:29s on the R1M bone stock except for FTECU flash.

Attachments

#11 ·
I always find it interesting how we casually complain about braking on a given bike, when that is one of the easiest "fixes" for a bike.
I couldn't agree more. I put braided lines, Galfer wave rotors and HH pads on my '04 R1 and it was fantastic. Never once even hinted at fading at the track and had terrific feel.

#13 ·
Hi, I own a 2014 Panigale R and in summary the R1M is miles the better bike, though the Brembos on the 1199R are definitely better than the Nisan's on my R1M. Everything from the ride position (Panigale have awful wide handle bars), the display, motor... are better on the R1M.

#17 ·
Up load pix of your Ducati...

#24 ·
Traded my 1199s for the R1 2 months and not a moment of regrets. Was going for the 1299s but knowing that with regards to cooling system nothing have changed, only mean that the extra engine capacity will produce even more heat than the 1199s, and with current cooling system on the 1199s that will cook your balls, decided to try out the R1.

On the track, much less effort is needed to clocked similar lap times as on the 1199s. I still feel fresh and lively after 3/4 day of track day. You dun have to "fight" the R1 as compared to the Panigale. Everything just seems more flow-y on the R1.

The Panigale makes you feel you are doing fast lap times. The R1 makes you feel that you are not putting good lap times, until you see the timings..

#25 ·
I agree completely with you! I sold my Panigale in August. In September I got to demo the 2015 R1 with YCRS at a N2 Track Day. What a difference! It almost feels like you are going in slow motion on the R1 vs the Ducati. It makes lapping at a quick pace so much easier. Everything is more subtle and without fuss on the R1. I can only imagine how much easier it would be to live with day-to-day.

Just waiting for the fall-winter prices :)

#27 ·
Didn't own a Duc Pani before my '15 R1 but I had the opportunity to swap with a buddy of mine for a few days and this is my impression on the Ducati (899 :( )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAwzsQKRajk

I know it's not a direct 1199 -> R1 comparison but after riding the 899 for a few days I will say that as a street bike the R1 fares MUCH better. As a track/race only bike, even though this was the 899 (assuming electronics and engine power of the 1199 is on par with the R1), the nimble body makes turn in a bit easier than the R1, probably dude to the way the engine is laid out. That exhaust is torture though.

#28 ·
If your looking for a street friendly panigale the 899 is the way to go. The 1199 is a pure track bike. It took me a long time to gel with it. I tried a cross plane r1 and fell in love with it. Traded my 1199 the next day. I do wonder what the 1299 feels like but I can't see it being that different. My biggest suggestion is to get extended warranty if anyone wants to by a pani.

#29 ·
Ok, On my 3rd Panigale with the 1299 base and have them pretty much sorted out by now. Stock suspenders are crap, everything else is bliss, brakes, handling and power.

Racing the canadian superbike series in 2016 and Ducati refuses to pay the 5k$ homologation fee so they're off limits. Have a 2016 R1S coming and am a bit apprehensive about the engine and brakes.

#33 ·
If you're still interested I can let you know as picking up and R1M tomorrow and have a 899 Panigale I've owned for 14 months or so.

Biggest (and probably obvious) difference for me was insurance and servicing.

Fully comp insurance on the Panigale is 550 quid a year and 420 quid a year for the R1M...thats converted from UAE Dirhams.

Also with the Ducati I paid around 125 quid for the 1k service, 150 quid for 2.5k service, a Middle East climate 5k service about 100 quid and looking at 400 quid for the 12k service...in contrast Yamaha told me today to never expect to pay more than 100 quid for a service with them for the R1M.

I love the Panigale, its great fun and not like Ducati of the past I've not had a single mechanical or electrical issue with it, it's been smooth riding since day one, but I need more horses, that and I'm hoping the R1M kicks out a little less heat as the Panigale gets very hot.

#34 · (Edited)
Hi...

I had a 2012 1199 Panigale S for 4years....enjoyed using her a lot... The Ducati Panigales are still the best looking sportbikes out there...Italians really know how to design their bikes! Problem with these Ducatis, I've had so many recalls and warranty issues done...even during my 4th year of Panigale ownership, I had engine checklight issues but in fairness to our Ducati dealer, they were all checked and solved. Just hated all these quirks though. Part of Ducati ownership everyone goes through.

Yes, heat was one of the major issues why I sold the bike. Bike was not designed to be ridden on countries that have 38c climate... I kept her cos she was a beautiful bike and electronics were way ahead of other sportbikes in 2012! LED headlights, TFT screen, Electronic Ohlins, Brembo M50's etc...these stuff were all not available on other 2012 model sportbikes...

After 4 years enough is enough. Decided to sell her and Purchased the 2016 Yellow 60th Anniversary R1. So happy with my decision... No reliability issues, Bike is so much cooler on the butt, electronics are better on the R1 compared to my 2012 Panigale, Bike is more stable etc..etc...

Two things I find better on the 1199 Panigale over the R1, is the riding position, the R1 is just too extreme and biased for track use compared to the Panigale's more comfortable ergos and secondly, ofcourse the brakes. The Brembo's are better than the Nissin/Tokico set up. But simply buy a Brembo RCS19 Brake master and sintered brake pads and the brakes improve dramatically...if not better than the Brembo set up of the Pani.

So Yes, I did a good move buying an R1...never been more satisfied!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.